English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    His parents are from T&T. He says he has links to Jamaica too, but I don't know if they'd have qualified him to play for the national team.

Not that it matters. He can't play for either of them anymore.

Jenks repped this.
  2. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US Soccer Federation is almost certainly sniffing around for '01 striker Jordan Adebayo-Smith, who made the bench for EFL League Two leaders Lincoln City. He's made the rounds in the American soccer media so they have to be aware of him. Born in California and confirmed US-eligible, but raised in England and of Nigerian heritage. If they are able to recruit him, he would be the eleventh English-developed US-eligible youth player to be called to a US national team level in recent times. The other ten are Carter-Vickers and Robinson to the senior team (fast-tracked despite still retaining youth eligibility), Fossey and Scott to U20, Kelman and Otasowie and Balogun (now back with England) to U18, Odunze to U17, and Okorafor and Covil to U16. Odunze is a goalkeeper so that would be a full lineup of prospects just from recruiting. Obviously most are not good enough for any England level but the US will still gladly have them.

The Potter and TopBanana10 repped this.
  3. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Declan Rice played well again today. I’m hoping he chooses us (if he ever makes his mind up.) There’s a fair debate about whether he’d make the current squad but given his age and versatility, he shouldn’t be written off.

4. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
  5. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
  6. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think we have some good momentum going for us in the senior level in terms of players selecting England over Ireland and Scotland. Those two countries aren't going anywhere right now and yes I firmly believe Rice will choose England. He's just waiting for the right time since he can't be selected by the U21's during this current cycle.

7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

This says Rice has been to St George’s and discussed things with Southgate. I know it’s the Daily Star but Murtagh is a good journalist and it’s a pretty thorough read.

8. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  9. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Absolute bullshit article . It states Rice was presented with a wide range of statistical data showing him how he could fit in to the England set up.

Most footballers can barely even count, nevermind make career defining decisions based on a PowerPoint presentation.

10. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    If it is true I would guess it would refer to how professional and advanced the England set-up is. Even high ranking German coaches have been left bowled over by the facilities at St Georges Park.

11. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Now you're alluding that Rice not being very intelligent:laugh:
    I would reckon at least the majority of footballers now are bright individuals.

12. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Honestly it's a simple decision by Rice. I'm sure he realizes the position he plays doesn't have much depth in the England player pool and that we're in a much better situation than Ireland is right now in years, maybe decades. Seriously, we don't have many better CDM options at the moment. Besides, Chalobah, Dier, Henderson, and Shelvey (appears he's quit international football though) who is there?

13. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If its such a simple decision why hasn't he made it already . I think Rice is waiting for O' Neill and Keane to be sacked . When then happens and a new manager comes in who believes in the players and gets the players playing proper football . Rice will declare for us.

14. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He clearly has made the decision. That's why we're why talking about this and you're theory is basically what you hope will happen.

15. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    W.A.S.P., ChuckMe92 and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  16. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...-not-physical-i-have-to-impress-in-other-ways

Some clarity on that David Brooks situation that looked so odd from the outside. Quite a mature interview all round, shame he won't be an option for England.

17. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    He’s basically shaped a narrative to explain away why he rejected that Welsh Toulon call. All very convenient. As if he couldn’t have just pulled out of that England squad if he had so wished. Most likely he thought he would gain more exposure playing for us to push on his club career and he got that from playing for us.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  18. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    #1543 The Potter, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    Well we missed out on Ampadu who was born and raised in the Exeter region of Wales. Its shocked me how entitled much of the Irish media and fanbase feel entitled to Rice, he sounds like he's just come from Albert Square. Technically I'm more Irish than him and so are a lot of English people. But you listen to Kevin Kilbane saying the only way he'd accept him back is if he did some serious groveling, admittedly I think Kilabane does lay it on thick to make up for his Lancastrian accent, then he went on about capping kids in competive matches in future so England cant steal them nevermind that England will be the country they were born and raised and learned how to play football. If any English fan consumes any Irish sports media like I do (I just cant do Talksport anymore) theyd be amazed by the entitlement. They poach much of the best N.Irish and Scottish talent whilst having nothing to do with their development and happily rely on English jouneymen. If England are doing well and producing good players its good for all the teams in the British Isles if managed correctly, Wales's troup of young English talent being a prime example. The Republic have been so brazen with the granny rule over the years but nations like Wales have caught up with their scouting and recruitment and actually produce their own talent. Ireland have been so reliant on poaching theyve totally forgot that their primary focus is to produce their own talent. When we had our "golden generation" they had Duff Robbie Given, Dunne even O'Shea was playing till a few months ago. Their masterplan to counteract this woeful lack of talent is to hire an expensive combustable former great player as assistant manager. Who had an average at best track record as manager, who did very little coaching as manager and had previously fell out with members of the playing staff (people who can actually affect the result on the pitch). Roy Keane is not a god, he's not even a good manager, Im sure the Irish FA could find someone a bit more amiable and cheaper to put the cones out and discuss Brian Clough with Martin O'Neill.

Whilst Im on an Ireland tangent: As much of a bell James McClean seems to be he's perfectly entitled not to wear a poppy I know its got nothing to do with this thread but its on my mind. It is voluntarily it is for charity it is not some public duty. If people try and force someone to wear one it loses its charm and becomes something quite sinister. It is unfortunate but if you grew up a Catholic in Derry when you think of the British Army your first thought isnt D-day like it is for me. Jon Snow not that one, the C4 news guy chooses not to wear one and calls it poppy fascism which is a bit much but Ive seen people chastised on the street for not wearing one, or embarrassed for not wearing one. I thought the installation at the Tower was one of the most piwerful pieces of art I've ever seen but it should not be foisted on people.

roverman repped this.
  19. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    He's welcome to his choice but his reasons reflect his ignorance. The poppy is a symbol of remembrance for all fallen soldiers, not just British ones. It wasn't even originally used by the British, it was something we adopted after the Americans did it first.

20. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    It could be true, it could be a narrative but only one of this testimonies would be accepted in court.

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt that he's not as cynical about his international career as a lot of fans are. Who knows, if the FA disagree and care about the snub they might feed a tidbit on the matter to a preferred journalist somewhere down the line

21. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I don’t think he was being cynical in actually choosing Wales. It was the circumstances surrounding that Toulon tournament that I found cynical.

22. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Yeah, I meant the Toulon situation mainly.

Not trying to have a go or anything, I know conversations in this thread can skew more negative/confrontational than others threads sometimes.

23. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    No worries. I didn’t feel like you were having a go anyway. I don’t have any ill will towards Brooks either. Just that the Toulon issue was in my view pretty ridiculous.

24. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Interestingly, Brooks talks about the tendency to fill academies with athletic and/or foreign players. A problem that some members of our forum believe doesn’t exist.

25. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USSF is undoubtedly in contact with Duane Holmes, who had a decent start today in place of Mason Mount for Derby County in Championship play. A full US national team callup this month or early next year is possible. A classic case of not good enough for a high-level European nation but good enough for the US, which the US will gladly accept.