English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  2. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Yafadashu

Yafadashu New Member

Oct 27, 2017
    Charlie Patino is English and Spanish

5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I think there’s a good chance we lose this guy to Nigeria going off his tweets, mind you not seen him in an England Squad for some time. Tweets about Nigeria quite a lot, can’t see anything of England.

David Hurford repped this.
  6. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Don't think there's much to read into it beyond the fact that kids with split heritage identify closely with both/all of the countries involved. He is English, he is Nigerian.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    West Brom midfielder Alex Bradley is in Finland's U19 squad for the U19 Euro Finals -
    [​IMG]

8. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Saido shouldn't go that root.

10. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Karamoko Dembele's back with Scotland, U17s this time.

11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah I saw that before, it’s only friendly games right so he’s not cap tied but obviously Scotland shooting him up an age could seal it for the time being when the Euro qualification starts.

12. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Could be Dembele nudging England to move him up to U17.

13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Not that you’re suggesting it but would he deserve a call up to the U17’s? I know as discussed on the U17 thread a month ago about this seasons age group there is plenty of talent already. I’m just not sure shooting him up an age group to try and get him committed to us is necessarily the answer, however Scotland are doing it but I very much doubt they have the talent we have at our disposal.

Yafadashu repped this.
  14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Fiorini is also in that squad.

15. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I have a feeling Dembele feels more at home with the England squads compared to Scotland. I'm not going off on much, but I do follow him on Instagram and he tends to post on his story a lot with England teammates. He also gets abuse from time to time from Scottish supporters whenever he suits up for England so maybe that could ware on him a bit.

16. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Brentford have rejected a£15m bid for Chris Mephan from Leicester. He's a '97 born CB from London with two senior Welsh caps in friendlies.

17. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    London native and ex-Chelsea academy goalkeeper Chituru Odunze, who has an American parent, made his debut today for the USA U17s against Costa Rica. He has not yet turned age 16 but already stands at a bit over 2 meters. On the far right back row is West Ham academy player Peter Stroud, who has an English father.
    [​IMG]

18. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Anyone else expecting call ups for Bamford and Barnes for Ireland and Scotland in the next friendlies?

19. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is that a thing or just a hunch? I seem to recall Bamford loving to play for England and would kinda be hard pressed to see him take up Ireland on a call up. Barnes is still quite young so hopefully he'll continue to grind and get an England call up down the line.

20. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Scotland already tried and had no luck with Barnes so doubt he’s going to change his mind just yet when he’s still young. I would be surprised if he opted for Scotland at this stage tbh.

21. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Then again you never know with kids these days. Scotland do have some alright players coming up and they can use that as a pitch to Barnes. As always they can promise him senior game time and potentially play in the up coming major tournament.

22. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I don't know about them two specifically, but the arms race to cap players will get interesting with the Euro Nations League replacing friendlies. I presume they're classed as competitive games so increase the chances of Ireland, Scotland + Wales tying people down.

David Hurford repped this.
  23. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Yeah, for sure. Any competition "for representative teams organised by FIFA or any confederation" counts according to the FIFA Statutes.

24. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    The UEFA Nations league games might make it harder for certain nations to call up players. Like in the past being called up to train with a squad for friendlies is easier for a player to do because even if they actually play in the game they are not cap tied. There is alot more finality based in the call up now.

25. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    True. Plus guys like Abraham + Zaha would already be cap tied for us.

Interested to see what happens in the next U17 cycle. If Karamoko Dembele + Lewis Fiorini join up with Scotland for qualifying, they'll have a good shot at Qualification for the U17 Euros. Then the likes of Armstrong Okoflex and others will have the option to play for Ireland next summer, as they're hosting and already have a spot.

I have no evidence for this, but it seems if any of these players commit themselves to another country for qualifying (and therefore the rest of the cycle) or play for their 2nd nation at the tournament itself, they'll be less likely to switch back again.

Also, i'm presuming that Dembele couldn't play as an U17 for Scotland in 18/19 and then switch to play to England as an U17 in 19/20? Cause if he does play for Scotland, that could essentially keep him out of the England set up for ages as Scotland would continue to promote him aggressively to the U19. Whereas he'd be more like to be expected to go the normal U17>U18> U19 route with us.