English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    Mbappé was born in Paris.[2] His father Wilfried hails from Cameroon and, as well as being his agent, is a football coach, while his Algerian mother Fayza is a former handball player.

W.A.S.P., Rabbi Keane and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  2. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For what it's worth, Owen Otasowie has quickly become a regular for the USA U18s. 190 centimeter, 83 kg central midfielder who also plays center back. Born in 2001 but recently got his first start for Wolves U23 in Premier League 2. Also rumored interest from bigger clubs, as well as the offer of a pro deal from Wolves:
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/5369911/wolves-owen-otasowie-everton-juventus-ajax-schalke/
    https://www.instagram.com/otasowie88/

England won't miss him given their stunning depth, but he looks to be valuable for the US.

3. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    American Soccer Now reports that Arsenal U18 forward Folarin Balogun was born in the USA, raised in England, is of Nigerian heritage, and may join up with the US youth setup soon.

4. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    #1229 Placid Casual, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
    Getting to be very amusing that the septics want all these players who have been brought up in the English system.

Especially as certain types have spent years slagging off the English system.

On the bright side, the USA fans now get to found out how annoying Nigerian fans and media are with dual national players. About as bad as Ghana.

5. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Balogun, like Otasowie, is born in 2001. He's the leading scorer for Arsenal U18 and also has a handful of appearances for the U23s including one start. Appears the US Soccer federation discovered Balogun's eligibility when Arsenal were recently on US soil for the Dallas Cup, similar to how they did for Carter-Vickers in 2014 when Tottenham's academy side beat the US U17s in Florida.

6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Just out of interest do you have a link for this? I can't seem to find anything on it.

7. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Sciaretta is almost always a reliable inside source (and a longtime BigSoccer poster himself).

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  8. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sciaretta reports Balogun was born in New York City, just like Owen Otasowie. He just scored the equalizer for Arsenal U23 today vs. Liverpool. Sciaretta says he's optimistic Balogun will enter the US YNT setup. The 2001-born class for the US is rather light on center-forwards, so I'd expect at least an attempted callup for Balogun soon, whether or not it is accepted depending on if he wants to hold out for England.

9. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, saw this on our U15 thread. Just out of interest do you know what the connection is with your Country? Born there maybe?

11. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    the 1st call up was a camp, now its for actual games.

from what I've seen majority of the German Brits seem to have at the min 1 German parents. Guys like the Nmecha brothers, Bennetts, Glatzel etc But not 100% sure about these 2.

what I read about Jamal Musiala is that he left Germany at the age of 7. Grew up in Fulda, Germany before moving to Chelsea. Couldn't find any info on whether he was born in Germany. Although decent chance he was. Comes from a mix parentage too.

Bright Arrey-Mbi on the other hand, I have no idea. Can barely find anything about him. Although he's confirmed to have German nationality.

these 2 are also highly likely to be triple nationals, just like the Nmecha brothers and Bennetts are.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  12. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    His mother is apparently from Stuttgart, which probably means that he was born in Germany too. I don't think he was born in Fulda though, as some articles claim: this one seems to have been based on conversations with his family and people who knew him, and it says that he lived in Fulda roughly between the ages of 2 and 8.

Marcho Gamgee and Ger90 repped this.
  13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Ok, interesting stuff, thanks for the info :)

Ger90 repped this.
  14. twasoffside

twasoffside New Member

Arsenal
    England
    Mar 7, 2018
    Hello again, a few weeks ago I posted about my senior thesis on this topic. I've altered my survey on English football and it's intersection with nationalism and globalism so that it's quicker to fill out. Please consider taking a few moments to fill it out as I'm below 10 participants below the required 50 (also if you can spread it in any way that'd be massively helpful.) Thank you so much!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...B5QCHh0ADKk5iF-UTLYvDjcQ/viewform?usp=sf_link

15. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Arsenal's Folarin Balogun, born in New York and raised in England, is on the latest England squad for the 2018 U17 Euros. Very good news for England, as they can provisionally cap-tie him in this competition if he plays. It's his first-ever England callup, and for a major continental youth tournament no less, so one wonders whether interest by the USA -- little doubt they attempted to call him up to their 2001-birth-year squad too -- was part of the equation for England. All the more power to England if so, after seeing many English-developed prospects go to other countries.

16. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And there it is, Balogun enters the match vs. Israel and will be England's for at least quite a while. US will still certainly watch him with hopes he becomes the next Benik Afobe.

17. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Callum Robinson (1993) got his first Irish call-up.

18. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Antonee Robinson becomes the third English born player to be capped for the US in the past 18 or so months.

19. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    the new German-Americans.;)

20. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    They cap way too many players. All ends in them missing qualification ..
    maybe they should go back to being in a permanent camp like the pre 94 era .

21. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Refresh my memory. Robinson, Carter-Vickers and ??

22. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Presumably Dom Dwyer.

23. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Ah yes! Completely forgot about him.

24. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    dom dwyer

Played for them on residence rules . lol

25. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    TBF it is four years until the next major tournament for them. If England were in that situation I wouldn't want to see the same old failed cloggers getting a run out - people on here moan enough about players like Henderson getting games enough as it is without us being in that position.

This current squad is an odd one though - they've called up a few players who don't look like they'll go anywhere special in the game who are only there on the back of being 20-22 and playing in Europe while ignoring a few players in the 23-26 age range already playing at a decent level who should be the backbone of the team.