English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    It might be easier to be dismissive of Darren Fletcher if we weren't still reasonably likely to go the World Cup with Jordan Henderson in our starting 11.

dbs235 repped this.
  2. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Agreed. Before his illness, Fletcher was exactly the type of player England would need right now.

3. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Agreed although by the time McTominay reaches his prime you'd hope that Henderson would be long gone and our (better) prospects of a similar age to McTominay are starting for us.

4. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Is McTominay actually English or Scottish? I've not heard him talk and don't know much about him

5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Lancashire born. Scottish father. Says he feels more Scottish.

6. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Last thing you want is a player with divided loyalties..
    he can jog on and play for a team who will prob never reach a tournament .

roverman and W.A.S.P. repped this.
  7. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They'll reach the Euro's one day. They should have just enough quality.

8. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Scotland seem the be having a small uptick in quality players coming through and the Euros are much easier to qualify for now. They'll surely get into at least one of the next three of those.

9. twasoffside

twasoffside New Member

Arsenal
    England
    Mar 7, 2018
    #1184 twasoffside, Mar 7, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    W.A.S.P. repped this.
  10. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    For what it's worth, Scotland are currently ranked as the joint-19th best national team in Europe in the FIFA rankings and joint-20th in the Elo ratings. The Euros will have 24 teams from 2020, so it seems a little foolish to assume that they won't make it. It's fairly likely that they will.

11. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    “Leon has to play international football, so we will look at the options.”

Butler went on to clear up the issue of how his son, who has scored 11 goals for Leverkusen this season qualifies to represent England.

He said: “He qualifies to play for England through his grandparents, my parents who are English.”

Southgate is set to name his squad for the friendlies with Holland and Italy next Thursday.

Introducing Leon Bailey the Chelsea target who is friends with Raheem Sterling and Usain Bolt ( Kyle Butler quoted in the sun )

12. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/foot...n-leon-bailey-fa-england-world-cup-next-week/ Full article here

13. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Still seems to be nothing from the England side on it and is just Butler giving quote after quote (each time mentioning how Jamaica need to do something before they lose him). All a game for him.

14. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    http://www.goal.com/en/news/bailey-...erkusen-stars-agent/wddmpzlbsrwj1chcr6f1c2rv9

'However, Butler believes that his son is prepared to wait as the problems with football in Jamaica show no signs of improvement.

"Leon and his brother have received invitations to join Jamaica’s national team. I love my country and so do my boys. Unfortunately, my sons both declined the offer at this time," Butler told Goal.

"I have offered to show the JFF what I have learned from Belgium, Holland, Germany and even Slovakia on how to build a national program and fix the Jamaican football culture, but the JFF has refused to listen. Therefore, at this time, the boys will focus on their club careers.

"Leon and Kyle have British ancestry, Portuguese ancestry, have lived in Belgium and, in a few years, were Leon to stay in Germany, he too would qualify for Germany. My sons are only 20-years-old and Jamaica isn't going to be playing in this summer's World Cup. We have time.;

ha, Portuguese is a new one.

15. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I find this all a bit wierd now tbh mainly due to what Athlone says above and I don't doubt him as he's proved to be very knowledgeable on these issues but if there was problems with work permits originally when they wanted to come to Europe, why not use their British connections if they were born in the U.K.?
    I just don't buy into this anymore and can't see it happening

16. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Jeff Stelling was saying on Sky this weekend that Poland are looking at Tarkowski and Austria are monitoring Ashley Barnes.

17. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Barnes played for one of Austria's youth teams as a teenager so it wouldn't be a complete shock.

18. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    McTominay confirmed for Scotland:

19. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Jamal Lewis of Norwich has been called up to the senior Northern Ireland squad.

20. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New USA U16 squad named today includes two England-based players whose listed hometowns are in England: Chitua Hani-Okoroafor of Sheffield Wednesday and Vaughn Covil of Southampton. Covil has been with England U15s.

21. BigSoccerFanofSports

A
    Nigeria
    Aug 13, 2017
    That decision for Tammy Abraham to choose England over Nigeria seems to be working well for him. Instead of a guaranteed World Cup place in the Nigeria squad, he can't even get in the England Senior squad.

22. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    He's 20 years old.

ChristianSur repped this.
  23. BigSoccerFanofSports

A
    Nigeria
    Aug 13, 2017
    So is Marcus Rashford, and he's in the senior squad. I'm not arguing his age. What I'm saying that he's turned down a guaranteed spot on a good World Cup team for an uncertain future with England. There's no guarantee that he will have a successful England career. I know it's early days in his career, but I think he's made the wrong choice.

24. BigSoccerFanofSports

A
    Nigeria
    Aug 13, 2017
  25. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof