English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Fair point. Butler seems dodgy as hell, and for all we know he could be the "source close to the player" who's dropping hints about ancestry and eligibility.

2. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    A lot of Jamaicans do have relatives born or at least lived in England at some point so its not improbable, whether that be through Butler or not. Given we are regularly stripped of players by the granny rule I don't see the need to be precious about redressing the balance bit. Nobody admires us any more for not utilising it and it doesn't score you any world cup points.

3. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Jamal Lewis 19, Norwich city born in England , representing Northern Ireland u21. Declan Rice 19, West Ham rep rep of Ireland u21, Michael Obafemi 17, Southampton born in Ireland rep Rep of Ireland u19 but eligible for England. Hope the FA make approach to introduce them to England setups.

4. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Lewis + Rice will be hard to ever move back across cause they're already involved with the U21s. Would take a first team call up, which they might never even earn, especially not in the short term.

Obafemi might end up coming back, but at the same time, is he even good enough? With the huge pool of players we have, we're only gonna have more players in the other nations sides.

5. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    I think we’ve got to assume they could be good enough, Obafemi at 17 years old and could get some game time in the PL. Declan Rice looks a good prospect, definitely good enough for the under 21’s. England/The FA have to keep any potential players in the frame at the very least.

6. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I meant good enough for the seniors before they get a call up for either of the Irelands.
    I was under the impression they aren't eligible for England U21s during this cycle cause they've already played for Ireland in qualifiers. Maybe I'm wrong.

7. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    You're right, "Ireland" aside - Lewis has played for NI.

8. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Yes forgot that we’re midway through a u21 qualifying group o_O

9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Not heard anything else on the Leon Bailey link to us since Christian added the article here. Anyone heard anything more? Personally think it must be a dead end otherwise the media would surely have picked up on it more.

10. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    ive looked into it a bit, all looks slightly dubious. There’s a blogger of the name athlone( think that’s how it’s spelt) sure he contributes on this forum, anyway he says there’s no truth in it, as Bailey doesn’t meet the eligibility requirements for us and Malta, Belgium or Germany. But I’m hoping he has an English granny

11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah he does contribute on here from time to time and to be honest, if he says it's a non story then I would tend to take his word on it.

12. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
  13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  14. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This has me thinking ane we might have touched on this before, but with our huge pool of talent, that also bodes well for the other Home Nations because there will be a decent amount of dual-nationals. We're doing everyone a favor by being this talented... Except beating them of course.

The Potter repped this.
  15. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Plus the general uptick in their academy systems through osmosis cause they're so close.

Do the League of Nations count as competitive games? Might not be great news for us on this front, will make it much easier for other sides to cap tie players.

16. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    That's a really good point, and I'm pretty sure they will count. But when was the last time someone played in a senior friendly for another country and then switched to us? I can't think of anyone recent, whereas Zaha has obviously gone the other way.

17. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Bailey would be a mercenary..
    he seems to think he can pick and choose who he plays for , as if teams are bidding for him.
    not like its an honour to play a team . He seems to think he is some elite player who can choose.

18. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Well guess it could work in our favour also, imagine if we had this League of Nations competition running a few years ago, we might have cap-tied players like Zaha. Instead he only played in friendlies which obviously didn't tie him down long term.

19. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Yeah, that's what I mean. Perhaps I'm forgetting someone obvious but it seems like it would have helped us in practice.

20. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Not that I had any hope that we could turn Ampadu but this pretty much confirms his International allegiance:

Ethan Ampadu: Chelsea defender is committed to Wales
    Share this with Email Share this with Facebook Share this with Twitter Share this with Whatsapp
    Image copyrightGETTY IMAGES[​IMG]
    Image captionEthan Ampadu's father, Kwame, was a professional footballer
    Chelsea's Ethan Ampadu insists he will not change his mind about representing Wales on the international stage.

The 17-year-old is still eligible to play for Wales, England, Ireland and Ghana as he is yet to make his competitive international debut, despite winning his first Wales caps.

However, Ampadu says he is not looking to change his decision to represent Wales.

"I will be hanging around with Wales," he told S4C's 'Mwy o Sgorio' programme.

Ampadu, who made his Exeter City debut as a 15-year old before his transfer to Chelsea in the summer of 2017, says he has always felt comfortable in the Wales set-up.

"I first got invited to an under-16 camp with Wales, I went along with that and I just enjoyed it from the very first moment," he added.

"I thought Wales would be the one. The togetherness, throughout all the age groups is a good atmosphere."

Ampadu made his Wales debut against France and also featured in Chris Coleman's last match as manager, against Panama.

21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    You know, maybe it's a generation thing and maybe I'm being harsh ( quite possibly) but just reading his quotes again, it just feels like he's there because it's 'fun'. I was thinking he might have said I really want to play for Wales because I feel Welsh, am Welsh, biggest honour of my life etc, etc. I mean, is this what International football is about now, not having that pride and passion anymore but rather that you enjoy the set up and atmosphere.

22. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I guess if anyone is going to have a scattered sense of national identity, an English-born kid with a Welsh mother and an English-born, Irish-raised, ethnically part-Ghanaian father would be the one to have it. And if you do have a scattered sense of national identity, you might just ask yourself "which one seems the most fun?".

W.A.S.P. and The Potter repped this.
  23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah fair points, hadn't realised quite how diverse his situation is. He turned out for England U16's just the once as far as I'm aware, so maybe it wasn't a fun environment or enjoyable atmosphere to be around idk.

24. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Yeah, and I think Wales clearly go to some lengths to make dual nationals feel special and appreciated.

Also, an impressionable young kid over the last couple of years might have had the impression that Wales were a team on the up and up, whereas the reality is that they were always likely to be on the up and straight back down again. It'll be interesting to see how many English-born kids opt for Wales if their failure to qualify for the World Cup turns out to be the rule rather than the exception.

25. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah it really seems like they do as once they get there claws into a dual player, they don't often switch back or are willing to try there hand with England. Can't think of any players off hand that have been involved with Wales Youth teams and then switched to us.