English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    So basically it was really pot luck that the Liverpool Scout that picked up Woodburn is also Welsh. I do quite envy the way Wales do it though, by looking after the kids and making them feel loved as it says in the article and really our FA should be doing similar, I mean if our FA had a similar approach I'm sure it would have been a much tougher decision for Woodburn considering he only has the one Welsh link compared to the rest of his family being English.

2. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    From that article:

"Other countries have tapped into the eligibility rules for years. France are an excellent example, having conquered the world with the likes of Patrick Vieira (from Senegal), Marcel Desailly (Ghana), Claude Makelele (DR Congo) and more recently Patrice Evra (Senegal).

"The German team that won the World Cup contained four players with Turkish heritage. Wales are following suit with an international-wide project of their own and others will follow young Woodburn into the set-up."

Little bit disingenuous. France picked players who were born elsewhere but raised in France. The Germany players mentioned there were born and raised in Germany. Neither of those mirror what Wales are doing.

(As an aside, only one of Germany's WC squad was of known Turkish descent, and Evra and Makélélé didn't "conquer the world" either, but whatevs...)

3. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    ^ Ill-considered comment to say the least.

4. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    What a wonderful multicultural readership they have. Absolutely wonderful. For anyone who wants to see anymore of the insightful comments:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...hoping-lure-Chelsea-loanee-Tammy-Abraham.html

5. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Plenty of comments from Halmstad there, but where's Wally?

6. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    More likely commenting on something more cerebral, if I know the Great Man.

7. BigSoccerFanofSports

A
    Nigeria
    Aug 13, 2017
    What a disgusting post, this shows how respect you have for people with African descent (the same players that you want to play for your country).

8. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    Zaha was always committed to England through youth level and the only reports (including actual quotes from him) were of his rejecting call ups from the Ivory Coast, not England despite pressure from the likes of Drogba. He ended up playing for IC because of the disastrous move to Man U and the effect that had on perceptions of him from successive coaches so he subsequent resurgence at Palace got overlooked. Anything else is rewriting history.

9. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    It mentions Brooks defecting as well but he had actually never played for Wales. He chose England over Wales for Toulon and then, foolishly, got left out by England under-21 in favour of the likes of Maitland-Niles just because he had been part of the under-20 winning squad.
    He could of course end up with England still but we've made it very difficult for ourselves now so the FA only have themselves to blame on that one.

10. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He's not wrong.

Knew somebody would get triggered by that.

11. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #986 The Guardian, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Who's this then? Are you anti-science. Anti-maps.

Here's more detail, for your perusal, on the scientific study, country by country:

https://iq-research.info/en/page/average-iq-by-country

I recommend we get back to pure football discussion. The IQ levels of various countries can be discussed in greater detail on other forums (best use other sites actually).

sinner78 repped this.
  12. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    This would sound a lot less disingenuous if you hadn't shared your views before telling other people that they shouldn't share theirs.

13. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    If it were up to me I'd be only too glad to see more views on the issue - including yours. If only for a laugh.

I'm just being sensitive to the wishes of others here. So don't start.

14. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    This would also sound a lot less disingenuous if you hadn't shared your views before telling other people that they shouldn't share theirs.

15. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Go ahead, chum. Fill yer boots then. I'll leave you to it.

16. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    #991 ChristianSur, Sep 10, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    I've already suggested that it was a pretty stupid comment. If people can't see the problem with saying that an unusual number of Nigerians and, by the implication of the map, an unusual number of people in Sub-Saharan Africa are "retarded" then I don't really know what to say.

Perhaps they could read up a bit on IQ, the complex web of genetic and environmental factors that affect people's scores, and the difficulty of isolating single factors. Purely on a point of fact, they could also try reading the map properly; in the list you linked, Nigeria is actually joint-93rd out of 183 countries measured, and not "rock bottom" on either the list or the map by any stretch of the imagination.

If I seriously have to point this out to anyone then they're in no position to question anybody else's intelligence. I fully agree that we shouldn't be discussing something so tangentially related to football: Sinner shouldn't have posted it in the first place. Since he did post it, I think it would reflect incredibly badly on the rest of the forum if nobody said anything to oppose it. I mean I know Stormfront is down, but ********ing hell...

17. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Calm down dear, calm down. Breath in breath out. Cool wet grass, cool wet grass.

Nigeria is on a par with Pakistan and Uganda. And they're doing just great - just gets a bad press, I'm sure. I do however think some on here are taking far too much notice of what they can glean on the net that some Nigerian or other thinks about our players (of Nigerian heritage). Bit of a waste of time.

You go on Stormfront, eh. Interesting.

18. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Pakistanis and Ugandans are also "retarded", I take it? Perhaps you'd like to get that printed on a t-shirt, since it's such an easy viewpoint to defend as the scientist that you so clearly are.

I pay attention to the world around me. Give it a try.

19. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Don't fancy it. Thanks for the offer.

20. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC

No idea what the article says but no doubt we will lose him as I have little faith in our FA of being able to keep hold of him.

21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  22. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    We have to cap tie Abraham.
    He is good enough to play , so its not like some cheap Wales style stunt who call up some 16 year old who clearly are years from being ready.

Nigeria has a 200 million population and they cant produce their own talent..
    pathetic !

23. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    We can't cap tie a guy who wants to play for Nigeria though? He'll just refuse the call up. I'll still only believe it when it actually happens cause that Nigeria FA lad loves to talk but there's no issue here. Just a guy choosing to play for another country that he's eligible for. The next call ups will probably reveal the truth. If he's decided to switch then the FA will be aware and he won't be in the U21s.

Also hard to known Wales for Woodburn + Ampadu after the last month or so. They're probably in there on merit. Harry Wilson was a weird one but it's the exception rather than the rule.

24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  25. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC