English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Nathan Trott from the current England U19 squad has an interesting backstory. He was born in Bermuda and according to an article I've read was playing Bermudan club football as recently as 2015. Bermuda is a British overseas territory with it's own FIFA affiliated football team and he has previously represented them up to U17s. I'm unconvinced that he has had five years of schooling in England and I don't think there's any quirk in the home nations rules for British overseas territories counting as "territory of the relevant Association" so I think he must have a parent/grandparent that was born in England and moved out to Bermuda.

He got his first England call up in October 2016. If he moved to England around January 2016 (which is when he signed for West Ham) the FA Must have recognised him as a talent, moved to establish his eligibility and brought him into the set up pretty quickly. All things they've often been criticised for doing badly/slowly.

This is an article about him. He moved to Spain at the age of 12 to spend two years in the academy at Valencia playing as an outfield player and didn't become a goalie until he moved back to Bermuda.

2. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ethan Ampadu has signed for Chelsea.

The Guardian repped this.
  3. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Honestly, if Ampadu ends up representing Wales at senior level then I won't lose any sleep over it. I don't think he'd start for our U17s right now because we're loaded. If he wants to choose Wales, despite him basicially being an Englishman then so be it.

4. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Ampadu definitely feels like the type of player who will flip over to play for us. Wouldn't be massively shocked to see him end up at the WC but at the very least they should see if he can get involved with the U18s next year.

5. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Has there been any indication why he hasn't gone with us so far?

6. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
  7. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    http://allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=23728

Extremely premature I know but just found it interesting to see Celestine Babayaro's 10 year old son being asked to train with Newcastle and since he's at School in Northumberland, one would presume he's eligible for us. Anyway, highly doubtful anything will come of this but just thought I'd log it for future reference

9. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Careful. This is tip-toeing on the lines of child trafficking!

10. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
  11. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    Ste walker and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  12. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  13. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    Agreed, he plays alongside a really promising English kid for Sunderland though, Maja who it looks like the Nigerians are already getting their claws in to.

14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Is there anyone the Nigerians are not trying to get there claws into? Maybe we can tip them off that Cauley Woodrow has in fact a long lost Granny of Nigerian descent. Not quite sure how though but I'm sure we can come up with a cunning plan ;)

Crvena Zvezda repped this.
  15. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lol it's like Woodrow has tried to put all of you into bankrupcy or something. He's an average striker who one was a favorite among the coaching staff. Happens every time around.

16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Well I hope it's the last time since we have a situation like this considering the talent we have coming through for the next U21 cycle.

17. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Doubt it. Knowing our coaches it's impossible to rule out them favoring a player who doesn't merrit a call up or just has no business being involved the rest of the players.

18. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Signed for Leeds United

19. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Not sure of his eligibility for England

20. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Is there any indication that there's any chance he's eligible? Just a Bulgarian kid isn't he?

21. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC

Attached Files:

22. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    The description for the video also says that he's eligible for England through his mother, but I can't find anything to corroborate it. It seems a bit of a long shot anyway - he plays for Bulgaria and as far as I can tell he's never lived here.

23. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    A little bit more info which seems to confirm that it's a long shot:

"The call from Bulgaria to call me to the national youth was a very special moment. I am proud of being a Bulgarian and I have not thought about playing for another country."

(http://sportinglife.bg/article/5519-Kun-Iskam-da-sam-kato-Suares-no-za-Balgariya via Google Translate)

Not that it rules out a link to England, but it seems that his biological father and possibly mother are Bulgarian Turks, he was born in Bulgaria, he moved to Spain at a very young age and grew up there, and at some point he was adopted by a coach at one of his clubs. He does say in the article that he'd love to play in England, but I don't think he's clamouring to play for England.

24. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    888853954653810689 is not a valid tweet id

25. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nice turn, but what was Schweinsteiger doing? That is a man who's past caring.