English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    One of the few things I did like about Hodgson is that he wouldn't speak about nationality issues like this. Maybe he would answer at times but in vague ways that didn't make an issue. Talking about requiring 100% passion for England is a silly way to approach it. I see Zaha's representatives have responding to the claim.

Shame about Akpom. Think he should still be in the England set up but I guess we don't know when he's made the decision. Might have been last year and that is why he hasn't been selected since then. Similar issue with Poveda. Has he declared his intentions and that is why he hasn't been near a competitive game squad? Possibly.

2. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    On Akpom, I think there's a good possibility that he's still undecided and isn't a done deal. He wasn't named in the papers with all those other It's possible that was just a no obligations training session that he participated in because he's still undecided. He hasn't been selected in a squad recently firstly due to injuries, secondly due to bad form/lack of game time and thirdly due to the emergence of younger better prospects. Lookman is reportedly unsure as well and hasn't been excluded, for one example, there's no need for conspiracy theories.

3. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    #728 BarryfromEastenders, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Players have dropped out of recent squads and he hasn't come in when available and Cauley Woodrow is now being called up ahead of him even though he has been far less impressive during game time with the U21's. It's not as if a lack of game time has effected other capped options being called up in this cycle.

Why would he be excluded? :confused:

Merely pointing out that we don't know for certain when players make these decisions and some selections might have been effected by it.

4. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    I misread your post as excluding unsure players not excluding players who decided to switch on the quiet :confused:

Woodrow and Akpom both got loans at the end of January. Woodrow's has resulted in 4 goals in 9 games and Akpom's in 0 goals in 6 substitute appearances. If both made themselves available, and ignoring other options, I'm not hugely surprised by which one got themselves a call up.

5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    #730 BarryfromEastenders, Mar 29, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
    Sorry likely it is the way I've worded my point. I wasn't making a point about coaches excluding anyone. A player can be undecided/thinking about the possibility of switching and discuss it amicably with FA/coaches. Then later confirm his decision for certain. If you begin to consider your options it comes in stages.

This ignores individual talent completely from the start which might be what Boothroyd does. But even then if you switch the loan deals and the stats would probably be the same. I just find it absurd that Woodrow would be picked ahead of Akpom.

6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    To be honest, I think Akpom is lost now and not because he's maybe undecided but since this has all come out it's quite clear that Southgate & the FA won't try and fight for the player while Nigeria will make him feel wanted and valued. I honestly can't quite believe ( well actually I can ) that the FA still has attitude since we live in such a multicultural society. In my family alone I have a son that could play for England, Sweden or Denmark and niece and nephew that could chose England or Netherlands and I know that it's tough for them who to chose and it isn't cut and dry or as easy as Southgate and the FA seems to think it is. So if we have the attitude of leave it to them, they should come to us and the other Countries are doing all they can to persuade them it's quite easy to see who will win. It's easy for people who don't have any Dual Nationality to come to the conclusion that you have to be 100% committed to England and England alone when not been influenced by two or even three different cultures growing up. The FA need to wise up and fast otherwise we are going to lose many guys I fear if they don't change their ways and views in this imo.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  7. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I suspect that there might be a bit of miscommunication here. Southgate would have to be exceptionally dim to think that a dual-national would ever identify as 100% English and English alone - even the ones who only ever considered playing for England - and whatever you may think of Southgate, he's clearly not dim. What he might have been saying is that players who have that decision to make need to make it themselves and then stand behind it with 100% conviction/passion/whatever you want to call it, because he can't or doesn't want to make use of a player who's not fully invested in their choice of national team.

Sterling, for instance, must still think of himself as Jamaican on some level, as well as English. That doesn't mean that he is any less than 100% passionate about playing for England. Sturridge is on record saying that playing for England is the pinnacle for him. Doesn't mean that he has no relationship with his Jamaican roots, just that he made a choice and he backs it without reservation.

If that is what Southgate means, then obviously he could have expressed it better. But, you know... it still wouldn't have stopped people from misunderstanding and papers from twisting his words, as evidenced once again by Zaha's agent "responding" to straw-man claims that Southgate never came close to making.

wellno repped this.
  8. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree 100%. The FA can't be this stupid and think anybody will accept England whole-heartlidly or they have to be 100% supportive of England.

9. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Really starting to regret missing out on Zaha!! He'll kick on from this point of his career

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah I think so too, don't think the FA or managers involved during his period available for England will ever admit they made a mess of his non selection.

11. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I can't really remember a time when he deserved to get picked but didn't.

andals repped this.
  12. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I can't recall the exact times but I do remember a few squads being announced and thought he was unlucky not to have been picked but players like Lingard and Walcott were despite being out of form.

13. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree. I guess it's just a case of developing at the right time or wrong time in our case.

14. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I think how Southgate dealt with him when he was the U21 manager was the final nail in the coffin. That's usually the dealbreaker for these guys, it's not the senior call up but the way they're treated in the underage groups.

Southgate wanted him before Christmas, but he'd already made his mind up. Too little, too late really. Even just a bit more media conversation about him being an England player pre-Euros and post might have swung him. He's been brilliant this season though, good on him.

15. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd have thought Zaha's biggest gripe would have been with Man U. Ferguson paid, what was then thought to be a lot (£15m) at that stage, but then immediately left. The new manager, though, didn't seem at all keen on him, and didn't give him much of a chance. The view that kept being put out at the club was that Zaha was too quiet and overawed by it all. Didn't seem to fit in with the gang or style of play, as a team member. Players often talk about needing to be "loved" to be able to perform at their best, seems he needed more than most, but perhaps didn't get much.

And then, as for England, they seemed to think he wasn't giving enough to the cause (either).

16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  17. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Lol, yes I get wound up to by the stories that come out of the tabloids in Nigeria. They have stated players switching in the past, which turned out to be false (FAKE NEWS). They seem to do it, to let the eligible players know they have a different option.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  18. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Jenks, W.A.S.P., Ste walker and 2 others repped this.
  19. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Hope that's true. In fairness to the Nigerian site, I wouldn't be surprised if there's some truth in some of the less high-profile players being linked, but I couldn't help but notice that for the two biggest names, they were offering fairly tenuous hopes to Nigerian fans in stating that some bloke at the Nigerian FA reckoned that Lookman would switch, and that Abraham's Dad is friendly with Pinnick. No claims of anything coming from the players themselves or their agents. It looks to me like an attempt to spice up what would otherwise have been a fairly boring article about Millwall reserves.

20. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    he's not even a member of the u21s anyway.

Whether Everton let the u20s take him and Calvert-Lewin to Korea is a bigger question. They'd probably have to miss at least the last two league games.

21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  22. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    None of the stories have sources or quotes, but if it's in the Daily Mail then I think it's there's some truth there.

23. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
  24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    What's the agreement between home Nations?

No doubt it's an agreement to benefit them rather than us as seems to be the way these days.