English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Nigeria probably the biggest culprits.

Others they will try get with Ola Aina:

Mandela Egbo
    Tosin Adarabioyo
    Dominic Iorfa
    Moses Odubajo
    Ovie Ejaria
    Ademola Lookman
    Sheyi Ojo
    Tammy Abraham
    Dom Solanke

2. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Lookman already turned them down apparently.

U heard how Egbo is getting on in Germany? I wonder if the FA are still keeping tabs on him or have totally forgotten about him ( which wouldn't surprise me )

3. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I remember Egbo was our backup right back in the U17 2014 finals. I thought he had some potential just by looking at cameos of him, which isn't much.

4. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think as long as the likes of Abraham, Lookman, Solanke and Ojo (when he's fit) keep getting callups then we have nothing to worry about. History usually tells us that.

5. BC11

BC11 Member

Jun 15, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Add Onomah and TJ Eyoma to that list, Luke Amos too.

6. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Egbo was injured for most of his first season in Germany, serious hamstring problem but he's the regular right back in their U23 team this season, so making good progress.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  7. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Shame, but if we're going to lose a player, I can live with Aina. If he can't make the under-21s with our current problems at right-back, then he can't be too special.

Of course, he'll inevitably prove me wrong now.

8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah on face value at the moment it doesn't seem like a big loss but quite possibly it will come back to bite us in the ass but what annoys me is the fact that there National team are guests in our Country but they have the cheek to hunt as many players as possible and turn them away from us, Just taking us for mugs imo even though there is nothing anyone can do.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-nigeria-england-world-cup-2018-a7652976.html

9. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Per that Independent link they also think they've secured the following Anglo-Nigerian's: Josh Maja, Fred Onyedinma, Eberechi Eze and Joe Aribo. Mediocrities who would struggle to get game time for Nigeria, let alone England, at this point in time but there's only negatives to the talent pool becoming more shallow.

Adam Lallana is England's most in form player today but was playing in the Championship at 24, if he was eligible for Scotland, Nigeria or any other comparable nation with less talent he's exactly the kind of player who would have been targeted and potentially lost.

I hope the FA are pulling their thumbs out to keep hold of Lookman.

ChristianSur and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  10. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I just hope nobody in the FA thinks we shouldn't get in Nirgeria's way because it'll look racist. That mindset goes a long way nowadays.

roverman repped this.
  11. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Seems very unlikely. How would that argument go?

12. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't know. Just hoping they don't.

13. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Chuba Akpom another who has been training with them this week. It's not a good look for England. Undercuts our depth loads.

We don't want to end up with another 10/15 Zaha/Bolasie/Moses types to go along with the countless guys we lose to the home nations.

14. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    [​IMG]

That's the head of the Nigerian FA stood in the middle.

15. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/27/wilfried-zaha-england-gareth-southgate-ivory-coast

That interview as a whole is very interesting and touches on a few different things.

ChristianSur repped this.
  16. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    It's a bit of a kick in the teeth, but... well, Akpom can't make the under-21 squad owing in part to two other players of Nigerian descent who are still with us. He might still come good, but so far he can't even score in the Championship, so if we're going to gamble on players' future development, I'm glad that it's Abraham and Solanke that we're retaining.

The same broadly goes for Aina, although I do think that he was a better bet than Dominic Iorfa. Would he have been first-choice even in the next cycle though? I really doubt it, with Alexander-Arnold coming through.

hussar repped this.
  17. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    It's still worrying though, who knows when it might click for him, he's certainly got the talent. He's only had one sustained run of games so far in his career. Ideally we'd have them all because it's tough to predict the development of our kids right now, mainly cause you have no idea who is actually going to catch a break and get some game time. His future aside, it's annoying we've given a guy 40 games at the youth level and then might have lost him before his u21 eligibility has run out.

It's not hard to see us losing a lot of players going forward with the way our talent is stalling between the 19-23 ages cause of a lack of gametime.

I really hope the FA recognises this as a problem. I'd like to think there's people in the FA, be it coaches or just someone more specifically in charge of player liason. We need to keep the player pools as large as possible and just some regular contact for players in squads and outside squads would go a long way I think. I don't think the 'we only want players who really want to play for us' line of talk helps much at all.

18. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Well after reading that article it won't surprise me that we lose countless others to nations like Nigeria. I think that article highlights the fact that Southgate and the FA really don't understand how Dual Nationals think and it feels like they think it's a huge privilege to play for England no matter what above all other Countries, well I'm sorry Gareth but it just doesn't work that way and that really worries me. In an idea world I understand his theory that they have that '100% desire' but having this attitude of guys should be coming to us is a bit arrogant imo especially when other Nations are approaching our players constantly. Obviously Gareth is a bit old school in this regard and probably 100% English so hasn't ever had any other option than England but I know how difficult it can be for Duals. Massaging ego's is unfortunately something necessary in this regard imo and not this attitude of leaving it up to the player, especially when other nations are massaging ego's, we will end up losing out on many guys. I'm sorry for the ramble but it's early and this issue quite concerns me for our talent pool especially when we have guys in charge that are quite draconian in their views.

W.A.S.P. and Ste walker repped this.
  19. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    That article is a bit worrying, while I kind of get what Southgate Is saying! You will lose a lot of players with that stance. I don't know how Nigeria are going to get all these players in their squad! Lol. A lot of them will be discarded after a few caps, never to be seen again.

20. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah totally but at least they will have them in there talent pool to call upon where as they will be lost to us.

Ste walker repped this.
  21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    For anyone interested on TalkSPORT now they are talking about this very subject

22. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    More than you realise. Then came along Akpom.

23. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The thing that I'm fed up with is that Nigeria already has a big talent pool and prove to be successful in their youth squads. Also the country has a population over 175 MILLION.

Marcho Gamgee and ChristianSur repped this.
  24. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He certaintly dresses like a leader.