English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    And a couple of dozen times for the younger teams.

2. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    England have to identify players who are eligible better. Not saying you give players with dual nationality special treatment, but we have to be more savvy. Wales are reportedly, going to call up Ben Woodburn, and let's be honest with the sole purpose to tie him down to them, like they did with Harry Wilson. ( who is Wales born ). Incidentally Kevin Danso is England eligible and I wonder if our FA is aware of this.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  3. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    The Ben Woodburn one is curious and I wonder what the Welsh FA has on him, does he have some secret that they are blackmailing him ( joking ) with? ;) By all accounts he just has one grandparent that is Welsh Born compared to the rest of his family that's English as far as I'm aware so find it interesting that's he's so committed to Wales for some reason but guess we will see if he accepts a senior call just to obviously cap tie him.

Wasn't aware of Danso but know he played for MK Dons and is Austrian International. The FA should be aware but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised if they are oblivious to this or any other situation. Thx for the input :)

Ste walker repped this.
  4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

hussar, Ste walker and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  5. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Woodburn made his U15 debut for Wales in March 2014 and five months later England gave him a call up to the first U16 squad of the next season, which he turned down. I'm not sure they've done too much wrong in this case, Wales got the jump on him but the FA still identified him.

He grew up near the border in an area that can be quite culturally Welsh, apparently. Plus they've been giving him the captaincy, playing him up an age group and things like that which must help foster and maintain loyalty.

6. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Yes I think he will end up playing for Wales, shame for England as he looks like he'll be a very good player. Just going off his twitter profile pic and background n bio, there's no mention of Wales or photo of him playing for them. I'll guess we'll find out very soon. Could well be another Jack grealish saga.

7. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Danso could be called up to the U19s as he is eligible being born in 1998.

8. longsocks

longsocks Member

Mar 25, 2016
    woodburn doesn't really impress me. don't know what all the fuss is about. rhian brewster is the better talent

9. IGSpur

IGSpur Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Suggests the Spanish FA must have done some research and looked into it if they know that

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Woodburn has been called up to the full Wales squad so guess he's certain that's the route he wants to go down. Would just love to hear his experiences of his love for Wales over England though as I'm intrigued.

W.A.S.P. and Ste walker repped this.
  11. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Probably looking at it like I'm quite close to breaking into the first team here! The welsh squad in whole is quite poor, especially the forward options.

12. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Calling up a 17 year old just to cap tie him. lol
    thats the type of stunt you would expect from Nigeria or something. Wales will always be a small time outfit.

roverman and dbs235 repped this.
  13. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    have you seen their squad? He's pretty much in their on merit. They've only got a population of 3m. Of course they're always going to be small time.

Not surprised by it at all, the Chester/Welsh connection is huge. I've got mates who identify as Irish, Scottish or Welsh despite being 2nd or 3rd generation. It's a really common thing.

14. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'm not so suprised because I feel kinda English and my family moved to the U.S. in the 1860s.

15. United689908

United689908 Member

Jul 11, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Joe Hodge has played for Ireland this year think it was the 15's. The glue in the midfield for Manchester City.

Also think I remembering seeing his face in one of the training camp pictures for England 15's a few months ago, but can't find the picture to check it.

16. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
  17. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  18. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    That article says that he was born in London, but he doesn't show up in a search of UK birth records so I'm not so sure. I wonder if he might qualify for France through his birthplace.

19. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    We should fight for him. We need as many players in the pool as possible.

20. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    If France are keen on him then maybe they see big potential in him otherwise I doubt they would bother, seeing the talent there have at there disposal

21. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  22. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    His dad said to media that he has told the Nigeria coach that Ola will represent Nigeria.

Where is he even in the pecking order at Chelsea ? Seems like it has just got quiet on him.

23. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Aina is another one best ignored.

24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    What can Nigeria give him that England can't at the moment? I mean he can't get a game for Chelsea but can walk into the Nigeria team? Sounds like they will just call him up asap to cap tie him. I really wish these guys would just let the kid develop first and then let him decide once he's established.

25. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    thats what they do.
    cap tie a player just to boost their player pool..
    He might only ever win 2 caps .

Marcho Gamgee repped this.