English players Dual Nationality thread

Discussion in 'England' started by Simon Barnes, Apr 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We really should offer him a call up to our seniors. It would surely go a long way to convincing him instead of waiting and then offering him a place in the under-21's then his head gets turned by Ireland. Even if it's blatantly obvious that that's the only reason we called him up, it's worth losing face over to get him to commit to England.

2. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Hasn't Harry Wilson been capped during a qualifier or was it just a friendly?

3. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah definatley think he's worth fighting for. Just hope he doesn't listen to Paul Merson and Ian Rush who say he should stick with Ireland as he will get more caps where as with England he may get 10! It's a safe option to stay with Ireland where as its a bigger challenge with us but from what I've seen, he has the talent to get into our first team and be a main player for years to come if he believes in his own ability.

4. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    The only problem I have about giving him a call-up is the message it might send to Redmond, who has been fantastic in an England shirt.

5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Even though I like Redmond and yes he's done great for England, he won't get anywhere near the England senior team whilst playing in the Championship and even there he somewhat bizarrely can't get into the starting line up week in week out. If Norwich don't win promotion, he really needs a transfer to the EPL next season.

6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  7. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Unfortunately I see it all the time from mainly Ghanian and Nigerian websites, implying that we have somehow stolen there kids who have been born and bred in England! Think what irritated me was the way they implied we pulled a swifty and nicked the kid from them lol! The worst is the comments on these articles saying things like can't we find our own, etc, etc! :mad:

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Here's another one from a Nigerian site about last nights youth cup final. It clearly states there were 5 Nigerian born players including Solanke ( born Reading ), Aina ( born London ), Tomori ( Born Canada ), Tosin ( Born Manchester I Think but could be wrong ), Kelechi is Nigerian from birth. So one of them was born in Nigeria! Big difference from the five stated!

http://www.sl10.ng/news/articles/ca...solanke-aina-for-winning-fa-youth-cup/208063?

10. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've always liked Redmond but I'm not sure he has the end product to be a Prem winger, even in the Championship he's already banging in goals and assists. Grealish at least has shown he has the work rate and close control to play effectively infield, regardless of what else he can produce.

11. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Callum Hudson-Odoi.

Just point out that 2/3rds of his name is English.

12. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    I think England have more ground to make claims about nations "pulling a quick one". Our talent at the youngest age groups are constantly being syphoned by other nations. Having a U15 programme that now plays games (finally) should help, but these situations will never end, they will just get worse. The FA just have to adapt as best they can.

roverman repped this.
  13. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ireland seem to consider that we might "steal" Grealish too. He's English for god's sake.

roverman repped this.
  14. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If anything they're stealing him.

15. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    To be fair, I read there forums quite often and I've not as yet seen them accusing us of attempting to steal Grealish. If anything they can understand our right to pursue him and even acknowledge that they have been benefiting from this system for years and whilst yes they would obviously be disappointed to lose him but don't think they would complain if they lost him to us. There is nothing for them to complain about really as he was born in England as was his parents and they are aware of this.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  16. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  17. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    The countries that milk the grandparent rule have never attempted to improve their own domestic league. They just steal players out of our system by milking the generous rules . The grandparent rule isnt even checked properly to see if there is a legit family member. Someone like cascarino won 80 caps and admitted he never had an Irish relative after his career.

roverman repped this.
  18. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    It always puzzles me when the media and fans a like come out with things like we dont have a big enough talent pool to chose from and always say its because theres no kids coming through and that is partly right but it never seems to get addressed that another reason is that the rest of the home Nations and Ireland scoop up a big proportion also making it a bit thin on the ground for us! The other FA's must be loving the fact that our FA and EPL pump and are pumping millions of pounds into Grass routes as its going to benefit the other countries in the long run!

19. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Exactly, if we improve the standard of our players then the "cast offs" that they can take are going to be better and at the moment cases like Grealish where we actually care if he chooses us or not are pretty few and far between, but if we start producing more players of his standard then there's going to be more of these cases.

20. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    France also have serious problems in this area. Just look how many players they have put through their system and then they revert to some African team .

roverman and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Indeed, I even think Laurent Blanc almost got in a spot of bother over some comments about it! Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about it.

22. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  23. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It seems from that piece his parents are actually English.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    It would appear that Anyhony Scully who represented us in February at under 16 level has been named in Ireland's under 17 Euro squad so he could face us unless I have got it wrong.

25. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    I bet he becomes the next Sonny pike .