English Abroad

Discussion in 'England' started by THOMA GOL, Mar 27, 2006.

1. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Fine by me. I don't honestly care whether Premier League clubs develop English footballers themselves or effectively pay other clubs to do it for them through transfer fees. The problem we've had as England fans is that they've largely been paying foreign clubs to develop players from pretty much anywhere else.

roverman, Marcho Gamgee and Garibaldi11 repped this.
  2. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    It's quite twisted. You producing high quality talent but don't play them because they have no senior games for you and proven themselves. A loan means near nothing. Look at Chelsea loaning Christensen to Gladbach for 2 years (close to the perfect loan) but they still buy Rudiger for 40m. Not exactly directly England related but you get the point.

One of the key things in introducing young players is the unity of the team/squad and covering his little errors whilst he irons out a few things and gains confidence. That isn't even a thing anymore.

This is all they need.

ChristianSur and dbs235 repped this.
  3. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Thought this was an interesting read:

Patrick Vieira: English youths should play abroad
    Matt Dickinson, Chief Sports Writer

December 7 2018, 12:01am, The Times

[​IMG]
    Sancho, right, at Borussia Dortmund, could inspire others to leave English academiesREUTERS/RALPH ORLOWSKI
    Save
    Patrick Vieira has urged young English players to head abroad rather than risk stagnation while struggling to make it into Premier League starting XIs. As the manager of Nice, Vieira said that he could offer the best English teenagers the chance to play “man football” in Ligue 1 but fears that some are putting money before career development.

Vieira has no doubts about the talent coming through the best English academies. He saw it as manager of the elite development squad at Manchester City from 2013 to 2015 and Nice’s scouts have been closely following a number of English teenagers. They recently tried to sign one only to find he was on a salary of more than £600,000 aged 17.

[​IMG]
    Vieira said he could offer teenagers the chance to play in France’s Ligue 1VALERY HACHE/GETTY IMAGES
    “The talent is there,” Vieira told The Times. “Look at the Tournoi [won by England this year]. We sent scouts there and the English were among the most impressive. All your junior teams do so well. When I was at City I saw it, at our own club or playing Chelsea with [Ruben] Loftus-Cheek, [Dominic] Solanke. They were ready to play man football then.

“The problem of staying in England is that the under-23 league isn’t good enough for their level. Those kids need to play in one of the top five leagues in Europe. When you play two, three years in the under-23s, you lose motivation. You don’t improve as you should. Then it’s too late. There are too many young players losing themselves because of the lack of challenge.

“If any good young player wants to come to France, I advise them to do it. We can give them first-team football, competitive games, chasing Europe. We give a chance to young players.”

Julien Fournier, the general manager of Nice, revealed that he had been to England recently trying to sign a young English prospect. “One month ago I spent a week in England trying to bring a player at 17 earning €60,000 [about £53,000] gross per month,” Fournier said. “This boy asked for €1 million for the parents, €2 million for the agents.”

Vieira said that he hoped that the example of Jadon Sancho, who left City for Borussia Dortmund and has broken into the England squad, would inspire others to move abroad.

“It’s about having a career plan,” Vieira said. “When you look at some of the young players going to the Bundesliga like Sancho, it’s fantastic for them. We are set up to develop young talent. We can offer that here.”

5. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Interesting. Who could that player be, asking 3 million euros for parents and agents at 17?

6. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Definitely don't want to accuse anyone of anything but Panzo did move to France in the summer.

7. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    And do you think Monaco gave this to him?

8. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Good point. Only really Brewster & Hudson-Odoi come to mind then. Brewster was being linked with PSG so this is probably more plausible.

hussar repped this.
  9. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    It says 'one month ago I spent a week' so that suggests it's an English player who's contract runs out next summer? As opposed to Panzo or Brewster who were dealt with last summer.

I can't even think who it could be, all of the best 2000s are on deals that run till 2020.

10. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    All the best 2000s are also 18 by now. It'll be a 2001

11. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I think it's a bit unfair to guess, to be honest. There's every chance that we'll land on the wrong name and no guarantee that Vieira's telling the whole story anyway.

12. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Agreed.

I'm always a bit sceptical about quotes like that anyway. He can just throw it out there with no impetus to prove it. Happens all the time with football, so much hearsay that is never cross examined.

13. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A 17 year-old on £12k p/w talking to another club in what would surely be the first year of a pro deal? Smells like bullshit.

(though it could be Hudson-Odoi, he's earning a lot)

14. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In fairness no kid is asking for 2m for his agents. It was obviously the agent themselves making the demands.

15. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I’m not sure what’s going on with George Hirst at Leuven but so far he’s only scored once in 13 games playing in the Belgium second tier. Even Elliot Moore has scored more goals than him and he’s a defender. I have to be honest and say I’ve never really been impressed when seen him play.

16. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    There are a couple of Leuven fans who post on a Leicester message board.

They are really unimpressed with Hirst. To the point of hating him

The Potter and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  17. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    He's fine. Just not a top top talent.

Being played on the wing in a side that's seriously struggling. He'll mature well. Vitesse fans 'hated' Solanke too.

hussar repped this.
  18. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    1071437288180207616 is not a valid tweet id

Marcho Gamgee and TopBanana10 repped this.
  19. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    What did it say?

20. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    It was Sancho’s peach of a goal against Schalke.

21. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Kid is legit

Would love emery to go In For him

He would absolutely start for us

22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Honestly hope he stays at Dortmund for another two seasons at least, let him develop there away from pressures of what come from the English game especially if he goes though a sticky patch. He’s still young, let him stay over there where it looks like he’s being looked after and more importantly it feels like he’s enjoying it.

thebigman and hussar repped this.
  23. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Is he a bang on starter soon, and if so who would he replace?

24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    At arsenal he would take iwobi as our lw or mikhi as our rw

25. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Why would Sancho go to Arsenal? He could go to much better teams, if he'd wanted to. For example he is playing for a better team right now. And there is Reiss Nelson anyway.