English Abroad

Discussion in 'England' started by THOMA GOL, Mar 27, 2006.

1. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Walcott had horrible injuries and still played 400 games at a top English club.

Maybe we're just setting expectations too high? That's some achievement.

2. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    We certainly did. 10-12 years ago he seemed a fantastic talent though - remember the Zagreb hat-trick? After that everyone thought more was coming.
    It's true though that in comparison with today's youngsters Walcott was only a speed-merchant, nothing else.

roverman repped this.
  3. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I think that's a bit harsh. Always easy to say the next man up is better until you chip away at their flaws, it'll no doubt happen with many members of this group.

4. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    I agree, but still think the most talented players from this group are better players now than Walcott was in the same age.

roverman, Marcho Gamgee and The Potter repped this.
  5. JC_ITFC

JC_ITFC New Member

Ipswich Town
    England
    Sep 11, 2018
    David Hurford and Garibaldi11 repped this.
  6. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    Compare walcott to sancho or hudson odoi, or foden. It is crazy we got so excited about him. Just no-where near the same level

Marcho Gamgee, The Potter and hussar repped this.
  7. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    I worry about him sliding down the footballing ladder. He needs a home and fast. PSV or france might be an option. Something tells me though he'll end up riding out his career at celtic

8. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    It's easy to say that now. Just look at Patrick Roberts, people would've said he's easily a bigger prospect than Walcott was, when he was coming through.

9. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Walcott never developed under wenger properly

He always had pace and decent finishing but wasn’t an amazing dribbler

He has had a couple of reasonably prolific seasons but was injured too much

I think odoi and sancho will do well to score as many goals even if they are better dribblers

10. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Always thought Walcott was a bit underappreciated. Not to say that he has no flaws but 119 club goals from the wing is nothing to be sniffed at, and he has a few years to go.

thebigman repped this.
  11. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    The Potter, IGSpur and ChristianSur repped this.
  12. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
  13. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    It must be Hodgson asking him the questions.

14. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  15. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I see Monaco had three players born 2001 all on the pitch at the same time tonight against Athletico Madrid. 2000 born Panzo played for their U19’s and wasn’t involved in their first team.

16. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Panzo's not CL-eligible unless they put him on the A List, you have to have been at a club for two years to be on the B List.

17. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Ah right, cheers that makes sense

18. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Ronaldo Vieira has just started his second Serie A game for Sampdoria. Looks like he’s playing in the Holding role going off the team sheet. Winning 3-1 but would’ve interesting to see how he has done individually.

19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I watched about 15 mins and he’s just been brought off. Seem to be struggling a bit but interesting that he’s been put into the team in that role.

20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  21. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

22. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I can't see Leipzig spending the 30-40m it'd probably cost them. The Premier league sides are too rich. Only the European Superclubs can sign any of their players unless they want to get rid of them. Seems like a bit of a lazy rumour.

Garibaldi11 repped this.
  23. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bundesliga clubs are going crazy for English talent. Liverpool cancelled a friendly with Borussia Monchengladbach due to the tapping up of Brewster, rumours that Bayern are looking at Hudson-Odoi. It's becoming a real trend, I'm all for it. I'd rather the top English talent go to the Bundesliga rather than drop into The Championship. It is frustrating though, the Germans are no dummy's, they are signing the English lads because they no for once they are really good and they are completely being frozen out. I used to be completely against the idea of quotas on the number of domestic players playing but would it really hurt the standard if every club had to have 3 players eligible for England starting? My only concern is any half decent English player would cost a fortune but they already do anyway.

roverman repped this.
  24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah plus there is the added incentive that once they ( English talents ) become a regular fit in their teams and perform well, they know they can sell them on for huge profits back to Premier League teams. It’s an no brainer from a business prospective. Dortmund bought Sancho for 8 million and now they can probably get 6 times that amount already at least. Imagine if they can pick up young players on a free transfer, well worth the gamble.

roverman and The Potter repped this.
  25. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Marcho Gamgee repped this.