English Abroad

Discussion in 'England' started by THOMA GOL, Mar 27, 2006.

1. RobTheFool

RobTheFool Member+

Apr 19, 2008
    London, England
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This

I’d probably happily watch a lower table La Liga matchup, but I definitely wouldn’t watch Cardiff v Huddersfield or Burnley v Crystal Palace

2. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Girona play more long balls than most English sides. Up to Stuani who played for a side in England that you'd probably count as someone you'd not want to watch.

hussar repped this.
  3. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Can we please not get into a La Liga vs EPL argument. Anyway the Bundesliga is more entertaining going by the Dortmund vs Bayern match, so quick,

4. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Ronaldo Viera actually played a full game for Sampdoria! His defensive stats were pretty good but they got beat 4-1 so not sure if he was culpable through bad positioning etc.

5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Panzo on the bench for Monaco again. I can’t say I know much about their youth set up but kind of disappointed he’s not actually starting since Monaco are actually starting another centre back who is younger than Panzo but in fairness he looks like a physical beast and maybe he’s just better than Panzo but I don’t know in all honesty.

6. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    [​IMG]

He is a unit, and Panzo only moved to the country a few months ago. I wouldn't worry about it too much. French clubs sometimes bring through more than one young player at once as alien as that seems in English football.

7. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
  8. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC

9. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I think Sancho (and to a certain extent Lookman) is going to start a stampede of young players going to Germany. I do worry that German clubs may overestimate the talents of English youth though. Sancho and Nelson are probably 2 of our top 5 rated youth players in what is the most impressive batch of English youth in probably 18 years. I hope the continental scouts take that into account, I can see a lot of European clubs getting burnt by taking lesser talent and hurting the reputation of English players.

roverman repped this.
  10. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Would we have said Nelson was in the top five before he went to Germany? Clearly he was one of the best in his year-group, but I think I'd have named five other players born 1997–2001 before I'd have got to him.

hussar repped this.
  11. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    I don't think that's much of an issue. Not every French player who goes there turns into a wonderkid, I don't see why they'd for some reason assume English players would.

In general its rare for players at a young age to take to a league as quick as Nelson has anyway. I think its the English fans following those players who will need to be patient and not expect everyone to follow that kind of pathway, and get those kind of opportunities so quickly.

12. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    I thought and maybe still think Foden, Sancho, Sessegnon, Hudson-Odoi and Mount are the top 5 most talented English under 20 players.

13. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    When we thought the U19s were gonna send a really strong side to the U19 Euros, I don't think Nelson was even a unanimous pick to start for that side.

14. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Certainly from the 18+ age bracket, although I might swap Smith Rowe in for Sessegnon.

15. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You may be right but Sessengon is struggling atm, Hudson-Odoi isn't playing and Mount is in the second tier, even Foden rarely plays. Only Sancho seems a dead cert to make it. I know there's mitigating factors for all these players, 18-19 is such a weird time to judge players, it's just so hard to know. I'm just thankful there seems to be so many of these players coming through for England. There are players who haven't even been mentioned by you in that post who are blue chip prospects, Gomes seems to have finally found his position for example. I'm excited but it's the hope that kills. :(

Hopefully it's not like the last Golden Generation, loads of good players born around 78-82 and then nothing but Rooney for years. The Golden Generation gets maligned but without that special group we'd have been losing to the likes of Iceland much earlier. :( Hopefully we get two good generations in a row, that's what you need to be truly competitive. But we dont know if we've got one good generation yet, at least they'll be coming into a well functioning team, until a red top entraps Southgate.

roverman repped this.
  16. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Panzo is apparently not strong enough physically at this point to start, but I'm sure he will be soon. And on the ball I can't think of many young CB who are better than him.

17. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    #1142 sharpovic, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Foden and CHO might not play a lot but I'd be extremely surprised if they didn't make it - without big injuries of course. Both seem to be very professional and driven, unlike players like Ravel Morrison or even Josh McEachran. There's never any guarantee obviously but Foden in particular not playing for the seniors would be a massive blow for me. Same for CHO : the way he ridiculed Inter and Arsenal, even if it was only pre-season, was far from ordinary. Then you have the Gomes, Panzo, TOB etc. who have great talent but will need some luck and opportunities.

hussar repped this.
  18. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    TOB? Yeah it's the number of prospects that's exciting, usually we have about 2 or 3 and they have to make it. Walcott in 2006 wouldn't be special now, Which is crazy as that was a better squad than this.

19. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Walcott would be seen as special. At least on a par with Sessegnon.

20. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Do you remember the Walcott hype? It was insane.

21. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    Yep: reo griffiths (lyon), danny collinge, egbo, kaylan hinds... ....sancho and nelson have been exceptions. But then if one was a top scout would you really compare sancho to hinds?

22. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Think it's safe to say he peaked very early, was obviously good for an 18 year old but never really improved after that.

23. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Also think that hype did not make him any good: the fact that Sven took him to the World Cup without playing one senior PL-game is one of the worst decisions ever, still getting angry about it. I honestly think Walcott had a more successful career by now if it didn't happen.

24. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    #1149 Garibaldi11, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Don't know the whole picture but Stuttgart debuted their 2001 born Germany u18 CB Antonis Aidonis over the weekend. First of that age group to play Bundesliga. Maybe 2nd after Simon Asta. Looking tough for Collinge .

Also noticed that Germany u19 RB Louis Beyer has started games for Gladbach this season. Not sure if that effects Egbo.

25. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    If I can be brutally honest, I never really rated Walcott, just didnt see much technical ability or football intelligence. Maybe I’m being a bit harsh but I only really saw his pace as his biggest weapon but you need more than that to make it to the top.

David Hurford and TopBanana10 repped this.