English Abroad

Discussion in 'England' started by THOMA GOL, Mar 27, 2006.

1. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    the guy is a f'cking sock thats why.
    come here to stir up sh1t with hideously bad posts .
    you dont actually think that this sock wants debate other than to cause trouble here??

with statements such as "There is more to the game than run, longball, hack, header, and cross.".....

thats rational is it?? I think not .

2. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    His presence helps this debate because whether we like it or not there is a point of view amongst so sections of world fans that English players don't go abroad because they're not good enough. However misguided and prejudiced this opionion may be it non-the less deserves the same opportunity to be discussed as anything else. Those who follow SC LaPurisma's line of thinking may well read this thread and see how he's being shown to be an ignorant fool, it will hopefully force them into re-thinking their point of view. Afterall only an idiot or a bigot has an opinion that doesn't stand up to scrutiny. To put it simply if it helps to educate just one person it's worth it.

3. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    I just think it will lead to another long bad thread where various spazzo's show up and chip in with nonsense posts. I saw it coming straight away when this thread came up. Every thread where these type of pr1cks show up ends the same way .

Im bored to death of these retards on this forum .All the terrible socks like Thebaron ,cobra ,etc..
    time for me to take a break until this forum is cleaned up.

4. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

In fairness to THOMA the thread was started with good intentions and had a decent premise.

5. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Started with good intentions, but went floundered a bit, to which I apologize. To which I try to re-post and keep it on line with the topic at hand. Debates are good, when logical. I personally don't have much to say in the debate aspect of it, although it can be 'entertaining' and educational. I do understand though that this topic has sub-topics (the National team, status of the domestic league clubs, etc.) and I was hoping that it wouldn't digress into those topics, but hey, it wouldn't be BigSoccer if it didn't digress, right? I appreciate those that have educated me on this topic though.

BTW Dead Man, do you remember DF Steven Tweed? He's playing his second year in Japan's J2(second deivision)

6. silver bullet

silver bullet Member

May 11, 2004
    Only one of the last two. Unless the last two tournaments are in fact WC 2002 and Euro 96.

7. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Scrap that goal and its still 3-2. Scrap the blatant offside goal from Germany and we 2-1 in normal time.

Why thank you. Its still one more World Cup that the mighty USMYGBQJUYNT is going to win, or AJAX detergent cleaner or DFB, or any other side or football association you randomnly choose to select from that shack over in California. Just add 'Brazil' to that list and you may officially become the most pretentious twat ever to grace these boards...

Please to explain.

Because although you probably think there is some uniformed style that both France, Italy, Germany, Holland those in Hungary and Czechoslovakia play. There isn't. You may actually want to describe the fundamental style of Puskas' Hungary and Masopust's Czechoslovakia compared to a Breitner and Beckenbauer led Germany right down to a Rossi inspired Italy in 1982. You may also want to look back at how England have played in the past. You may be pleasantly surprised.

I await your analysis.

I would also wish to know how team's playing style in the past has anything to do with what happens now. Just curious as to how history shapes the present, when in fact its the present that shapes the future.

Should we contemplating the long ball up from Jack Charlton to Mick Channon this summer in Germany? Just a shame that football in this country has developed far beyond what most plastics like yourself buy into when reading 'the big book of trying to fake being a football fan.'

Just a shame you've never seen England play then. Please will you care to add how many World Cups, the Czech Republic, Italy and Holland have won in the past two decades. I'll tell you what, I'll give you something of a head start with regards to how they faired recently in the last World Cup. Two never qualified, whilst the other couldn't beat South Korea.

I would happily take away their boring shite fundamentals (whatever the fuck that means in this day and age) for a World Cup. And quite frankly in the past decade, we've seen that those teams with 'strong fundamentals' that you've listed have won the sum total of fuck all in the past 10 years and look like winning fuck all this summer as well.

Hello point. Yes? Meet mr LaPurisma. Have you actually read any of what people have wrote, or did you salivate over them too much when you decided to concot this wet dream of a post. There is a simple explantion as to why those players in England don't play aboard in other countries. If you actually read the thread you would know this. It has nothing if anything to do with a abhorrent fear of the so called word salad of 'clincal fundamentals' that you have just decided to create on the spot.

Its because, the league standard is one of the best in the world, and they can make as much money playing here as they can elsewhere. Czech, French and sometimes Portuguese players play abroad because of the lack of money and playing standard domestically.

If you think that having players playing abroad would somehow raise the technical and diversify the standard in the team - then why is it you praise the domestic laiden Italy too much? Are they raised too much on the game of calcio - to be effective in Germany?

Facts mean fuck all. And given the fact you know very little about the past and the current history of both world football, domestic football and international footbball - I'll wager that any discussion of it will leave you dribbling and writhing in your turgid saliva and rotting excrement - which ironically is what you are doing now.

But here's a fact for you.

England have one of the best teams going to Germany. The host nation can't beat a team from Europe, Holland are in the group of death and the US and their Californian based plastic dipshits will be back home before you can say 'Auf Wiedersehen Fritz'...

8. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    In Euro 2004 England got better results than Holland.

England:
    Beat Croatia and Switzerland, lost to France, drew with Portugal.

Holland:
    Beat Latvia, lost to Czech Republic and Portugal, drew with Germany and Sweden.

9. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Semi's is better than quaters anyway you cut it.

10. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    And yet England have more world cup wins than all of those put together. What's the point in getting to finals if you bottle it?

And yet, only Brazil would be favourites to beat England in the world cup. All the other so-called super powers would be evens at best. England have their fair share of quality players and tactical teams.

And yet for all this lack of clinicalness and fundamentals, England has produced as many European cup winners as Spain and Italy, and more than all the rest of the leagues. Obviously Liverpool, Villa and Forest long-balled their way to all those European cups in the 70s and 80s, whilst the Inter team of the 60s played skillful, quality football?

The same Holland who could only draw with a dire German team, and whose only Euro 2004 win came against Latvia? England would be favourites to beat Germany. England have better players than Germany and the Czech Republic, and don't tell me that Germany have more tactical nous than England, I'll just laugh.

Go on, bring up 1990 or whichever result was the last time Germany were actually any good, I'll show you today's team who are headed for a second-round exit to England or Sweden.

England's team is the match of Italy's, easily. Bring up Northern Ireland, but remember that Italy couldn't win at Hampden (and neither could Holland). England took a 2-0 win on their last visit there.

Why, when they make so much more money in England? The Dutch league is a load of crap.

Remind me how the Czech Republic, France and Portugal got on at the last world cup? Portugal have only been to three world cups in their history, what do we have to learn from them? How to get spanked by America?

11. silver bullet

silver bullet Member

May 11, 2004
    Very creative. But did England really outperform Holland in 2002? After all, unlike England, Holland didn't lose a single game at the WC2002 :rolleyes:

12. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Bump.

What was the name of the player who played for Forest and played a few times for FC Cologne in Germany?

Its killing me...

13. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Tony Woodcock

14. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Did Timberdick do well?

15. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

:D Classic!

16. gaijin

gaijin New Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Malaysia
    Dats it. :cool:

17. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He was alright, he scored 5 or something for England once, against Northern Ireland I think.

18. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    No, 2002 and 2004. England had more convincing results in both tournaments. Remember Holland only beat Latvia in 2004, and drew with Germany.

19. Catel

Catel Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Lyon, France
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I was making a research on Google about Waddle... how can you even ask such a question !! :eek:
    [youtube]IGhgNWWdVjU[/youtube]
    The title of the song, "Burning Love" is NOT innocent at all.
    Waddle is a legend at Marseille. He makes still appear little stars in the fans' eyes. And a few tears. Of joy.

Hoddle and Hateley were fantastic at Monaco, Hoddle was once one of the best players in Europe.

The others English players having played in France
    Christopher Makin (Marseille)
    Trevor Steven (Marseille)
    Brian Stein (Caen, Annecy)
    Graham Rix (Caen, Le Havre)
    Clive Darren Allen (Bordeaux)
    Allan Johnston (Rennes)
    Ray Wilkins (PSG)
    Jantzen Derrick (PSG)
    Lee Chapman (Niort)
    Simon Stainrod (Strasbourg, Rouen)
    are just totally forgotten.

But if you want give us Wayne Rooney, we're ready to try him. :D

20. Shortbloke39

Shortbloke39 New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Copenhagen DK
    I suppose one of the reasons top english players dont really move overseas is because its like stepping down a rung. If you want a challenge and you want to play good, hard, proper football... you go to the premiership. If you want to be a pin up and 'live the dream' you go to Spain or Italy where you can sell pepsi and various hair care products and occasionally play a bit of footy. In the prem you have to work for a living :)

21. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    [​IMG]

Yeah ... right.

22. Shortbloke39

Shortbloke39 New Member

Jul 9, 2007
    Copenhagen DK
    you cant count cashly cole... what a ponce!

23. pippomo

pippomo Member

Jun 15, 2006
    Modena
    Well, Paul Ince and David Platt both had some good seasons in Italy. Gascoigne, well... Des Waker? Nobody remember him: one season with a terrible start.
    Ray Wilkins was a decent player in a very poor Milan in the half of the eighties. Mark hateley was a fan favourite although he had very limited skills ( header besides ). Rideout in Bari really was nothing to be remembered and was just decent for serie B. Cowans fared much better. Trevor Francis was also much loved from Doria fans. He could have had a much better career if not for injuries. Luther Blisset, well...
    As for players from the uk in recent times ( 80's onward ):
    scottish Souness and Jordan were appreciated. The first had very good seasons at Sampdoria, the second, nicknamed "Lo Squalo", the shark, was appreciated for his fighting spirit.
    Ian Rush was a total failure, considering his reputation.
    Liam Brady is to be considered the best british playing in Italy since the eighties. A great midfielder. He played great seasons in Juventus, Sampdoria and Inter. It was pleasure to see him playing. An elegant player, great control and passing, great free-kick. In thse years he was probably the third best playmaker in serie A and probably in the world, just behin Platini and Falcao.

24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    A FEW games??? He played 81 games scoring 28 goals.

25. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Don't let Brady hear you call him British.