English Abroad

Discussion in 'England' started by THOMA GOL, Mar 27, 2006.

1. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Tbh I think it’s great for our kids development to be playing in different leagues

We just need to cap them so they don’t get stolen

2. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Looks like Bennetts is the next kid moving abroad:

3. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Oscar George Threlkeld has moved to Belgium side Wassland-Beveren

4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    brettspurs repped this.
  5. David Brooks

David Brooks Member

Jun 23, 2017
    I know he's an opinion divider, but I did a bit of research on Dan Crowley's recent form. I've not seen him play, so this is purely from stats and match reports, but it looks like he was a regular starter and a bit of a star in the last two months of the season for SC Cambuur in the Dutch second tier. In the final 14 games of the season he scored 4 and assisted on 8 goals. Lower level admittedly, but good to see him finding some form at last. Hopefully he breaks through with Willem II next season.

6. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I was following it. He basically dragged them to the playoffs, before they lost it in a pretty freaky 2nd leg where a 4-1 lead was overturned and they lost on penalties. Crowley actually missing the final one.

Dutch press gave him loads of praise, called him the Cambuur Messi. It's not a great standard, but should get him a good Eredivisie role if he doesn't get back to Willem. I just hope he stays abroad, it suits him much better.

7. Use google translate for these links about him. Dunno if you did see them already.
    In this link WII talks highly about him and see the temporay loan as important for Dan to get meaningful minutes until he joins again in the new season preps.
    http://www.omroepbrabant.nl/?news/2...mt+tijdelijk+afscheid+van+Daniel+Crowley.aspx

You probably like this link:
    http://www.lc.nl/sport/Daniel-Crowley-is-Cambuurs-Messi-23006113.html

JRSG repped this.
  8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    This is a bit of an odd one but good luck to the lad, Jordan Greenidge to Omonia Nicosia.

hussar repped this.
  9. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    This is really odd, however can't be worse than staying in the Stoke U23 team for years with some loans to League 2.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  10. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
  11. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    It'll be interesting to see where it goes from this and if it's his agents making new connections in Europe or if it's related to Matt Derbyshire being out there in some way. Say if Greenidge had gone on loan to Port Vale next year, the market for him after that if it went well is probably limited to Scotland, League One and the Championship. Now he's in Cyprus, there will be a different market of clubs looking for players from there. A move to a Greek or Turkish side are probably options and from there anywhere in Mainland Europe (and obviously the connections agents get from there).

I think that's a really important aspect in all of this. Hopcutt + Edwards are obviously perfect examples, who ended up playing in the Europa League by taking a different route. There's 100s of English players who could play Europa League football if they really wanted to somewhere in Europe rather than just slowly moving up the English football pyramid. Moves like Threlkeld to Beveren or Greenidge to Omonia could be as important as Sancho to Dortmund going forward, as examples to players of what is possible.

The Irish league is another option, most of the lads that Preston have picked up from there were all drifting around the Football League for a while before going home. Graham Burke is the most recent example, he was a bit part player for Notts County in 15/16, moved to Ireland and is now an International and has gotten a Championship move.

Greg Leigh looks like he's going to NAC Breda, obviously the City links have played a part, but League One relegation to Eredivisie is a nice move for him and could take his career in a massive upwards trajectory that wouldn't have happened had he stayed at home.

12. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
  13. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Mitchell Beeney's just gone to Ireland permanently too, his loan at Sligo becomes permanent on July 1st.

Ruben Sammut and Harvey St Clair remain England-eligible but are currently Scotland U21 internationals; Sammut joined Falkirk on loan, St Clair signed permanently for Venezia.

14. Why is it odd?
    Dunno who he is, but according to the media he didnot deliver on his talent and hardly score.
    If that's the case and he was a talent striker he will be in good hands at PSV and Feyenoord, getting the chance to learn the ropes of top striker performance from either van Nistelrooij or Makaay.

15. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    That's why it's odd. He does have talent, but he's fallen off the face of the earth in the last couple of years, so it's surprising to me that decent clubs are still willing to take a punt on him.

16. If the interest is real I guess both think our former top strikers will be able to get his mojo running. In that case it's a (England) win (buying club) win situation.

17. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
  18. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I think there's a very good goalscorer in there somewhere if you can get his head right.

19. :D
    Well, PSV reacted on that rumour they arenot interested. They're after another young striker who relegated to the Championship. Forgot his name.

20. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Tammy Abraham? Peter Crouch?

21. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    Lol. Goes from bad to worse then, lol. Btw, glad youre in the forum. I appreciate the insights from the netherlands you bring given how many players we have playing there

dbs235 and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I hope it’s Abraham as that would be an really interesting move if he went to either of those teams on loan as I’m guessing Chelsea wouldn’t sell? Could see him getting bags of goals playing for either of those sides.

23. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Abraham doesn't need to go to the Eredivisie. It's a step behind the levels he's already played at; nobody comes straight into the big teams from the Dutch league now, especially at Chelsea, they want them to go on tougher loans before even considering them. It'd be a major backwards step.

24. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  25. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Max Clark, a '96 who played 2270 minutes for Hull in The Championship last season is signing for Vitesse on a 3 year deal

hussar repped this.