English Abroad

Discussion in 'England' started by THOMA GOL, Mar 27, 2006.

1. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Huh? Oxford is hardly alone at being in an U20 squad without playing much senior football. It's not a rare thing at all, I think only 5 members of the squad are. Would be dumb to just catapult him out the set up cause he's been on the bench for a Bundesliga side.

2. MKspot

MKspot Member

Feb 15, 2015
    Club:
    Milton Keynes Dons FC
    shame about Oxford going but back to west ham BMG have a crop of very technical defenders and seasoned pros was going to be difficult for a player who has not had the technical coaching but a lot of paper columns to break in as a loanee best he start in England div2 and get games first.. should of played reserve team football in germany, he would even be challenged there as it is much better than u23 prem which as is just a big youth league... he needs mens football BMG must of known this but agents love to promote.. if he was better than what they had he would of started.. plus he speaks no german unlike collinge who is fluent.. lol chalk and cheese..

3. MKspot

MKspot Member

Feb 15, 2015
    Club:
    Milton Keynes Dons FC
    no but pick in form. players, no one is suggesting drop himwhat are you saying.. southgate made it very clear across all ages pick those who are playing.. we have alot of talent to choose from when he is good enough to play in germany and is getting game time bring him in.. so lets pick players who sit on benches.. i say lets be brave and pick players doing well and on form.. not becuase they did well in the past.. lol

4. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    are you composing these posts on Siri or something?

MKspot repped this.
  5. MKspot

MKspot Member

Feb 15, 2015
    Club:
    Milton Keynes Dons FC
    No.. i am actually in germany but on an old phone my fat fingers are a little mad... but the essence is its a friendly i don't get how you select on zero mins football .. its that simple if you can ask siri that.. lol.. you do want to win something or do you just want to look at past glory players..

6. MKspot

MKspot Member

Feb 15, 2015
    Club:
    Milton Keynes Dons FC
    mate its just my opinion please enlighten me and everyone else on the selection process for english youth teams... zero mins is surely not a criteria..

7. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Talent and potential is the criteria for the youth teams, lots of them don't play much senior football. It's hard to follow youth football and not understand that...

MKspot repped this.
  8. MKspot

MKspot Member

Feb 15, 2015
    Club:
    Milton Keynes Dons FC
    #683 MKspot, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    i guess my point is honesty.. and the right selection.. full credit to a decent defender going abroad like Reece Oxford, however germany is not England.. i am a big admirer of german youth and a love of english football I can see a big difference. no offence meant just wanted to remind England youth that germany won confederations cup and u21 euro with b teams and players in form.. they bridge the youth mens game by playing Egbo, Collinge in german leagues three and four against men who have a mortgage to pay like the old reserve system we had and you get players who have bundesliga game and champion leagues experience in reserve squads coming back from injury.. perhaps Oxford was not ready in german eyes but in england we are seeing more lads go abroad at least that is positive thing.. both Moore Egbo and Collinge now i have watched all maturing nicely watching frieburg next week.. its a good thread this but going abroad does often mean in germany a higher level.. even for big youth players like Reece Oxford Germany is far more tactical and technical for defenders.. but i applaud them for wanting to improve my only bag is why do we not select players on form.. a legitimate question..

9. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    which in form U20 players are being ignored? I'm really struggling to follow your line of argument pal.

10. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    "The Oktoberfest 2017 will take place from September 16th, 12:00am to October 3rd, 11:30pm."

wellno repped this.
  11. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    the results show that the selection process is good.

12. MKspot

MKspot Member

Feb 15, 2015
    Club:
    Milton Keynes Dons FC
    Yes its a friendly and the selection process has been good, my point is simply pick on form.. a good point .. if you sit on a bench and play no minutes justify the selection .. its a friendly ..Egbo please should get a run for me..oh wait a minute OktoberFest.. well you are all welcome..

13. MKspot

MKspot Member

Feb 15, 2015
    Club:
    Milton Keynes Dons FC
    Well it was more general I guess you have your favourites I would like to see Egbo and Collinge.. more minutes better on the ball, having watchined both , having said that collinge is playing DM right now..But Happy to see a MK lad Brittain.. and you?

14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  15. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Ryan Kent starts for SC Frieburg this afternoon

hussar, ChristianSur, Jenks and 3 others repped this.
  16. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Sancho made his first appearance for BVB today. 84th minute sub.

17. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    921758570097541120 is not a valid tweet id

ChristianSur and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  18. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    Chris Willock consigned to Benfica B squad for the season and not even starting games recently it seems. Meanwhile his younger brother Joe is starting for Arsenal and been involved a few times this season. The perceived wisdom seems to be that players should take a crack going abroad at a young age because they will get more first team opportunities but as with others like Collinge and Egbo this doesn't seem to materialise and they are in fact just making it harder for themselves to make the breakthrough.
    Chris Willock looked about the best prospect in our under-19 champions squad and its sad to see that kind of talent wasted because he seems to have been badly advised.

19. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe they just turned out not to be good enough.

20. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    Maybe in the case of Collinge and Egbo but they were amongst the best defensive prospects in a strong age groups to be picked regularly for England. If you look at just about any other squad member they've got at least a few first team games behind them but these two? Nothing. What have they gained then by going abroad?
    As for Willock he's definitely got the ability having seen him in action a few times, but having to go over and adjust to another style of football and living in another country isn't an east thing to do when you're just starting your career.

21. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Mason Mount looked the best talent in that U19 Championship squad and he's having a good season in the Netherlands.

22. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016

I'm looking at other squad members who won the Euros with Egbo in 2014 and thinking your representation is dishonest. Tafari Moore has his best (and indeed only) experience of playing senior football from a loan abroad. Demetri Mitchell has one appearance for Man United in a dead rubber where they played the reserves. Taylor Moore moved back from France and is now playing in the English 4th tier when he'd been getting appearances at a higher level in France. All four have fallen away from getting England selections with their age group, other players have emerged and progressed better - it happens.

I don't know too much about Collinge but he's very young to be getting senior games as a defender either here or in Germany. Darnell Johnson has been getting call ups in that age group and has zero senior appearances. Suliman has 9 appearances in League Two and one in the League Cup for Villa. Trevoh Chalobah from the age group below got called up ahead of him in the summer and has zero senior appearances.

The most talented defender in that 98 age group is the only defender in that age group who has already managed senior appearances at a decent level ...and he has done so in both England and Germany. Now he's got through the tough settling in period I'm sure Oxford's future would have been best served by staying in Germany not getting recalled by West Ham - and from what the papers have written it seems he'd agree.

23. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    I don't think I'm being dishonest. Collinge maybe you'd give another year to make the breakthrough but Egbo is literally the only player from his England age group not to play first team football yet and Collinge almost the only one from his (Even Johnson has played in the EFL trophy) Coincidence the two players move abroad about the only ones not to get senior football appearances?
    Sure Mitchell's only played once for Man U but their squad is a hell of a lot higher standard than Monchengladbach. Even getting a loan spell at a lower league club would have served them better and when they inevitably do move back to England to try and make the breakthrough they will have to go through all that readjustment again.
    Tayler Moore grew up in France as Dier did in Portugal so a different situation entirely.
    Maybe it benefits these kids in some way but if the point of going abroad (other than a short loan spell) is getting better opportunities then it seems self defeating.

24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Jack Rodwell is apparently on trial at Vitesse Arnhem.

25. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Marcho Gamgee, hussar and zXen repped this.