Englands Crash and Burn

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Cruickinator, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Cruickinator

Cruickinator New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Nottingham
    Which English teams are in over thier head will fall hopelessy on thier face and get trampled on in Europe this year. I was thinking ManU until last night.

2. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Fulham. Now that they're in, they'll soon be out.

3. Cruickinator

Cruickinator New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Nottingham
    Good point but really they don't even deserve to be thier fair play league waht a joke.

4. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    Only ipswich are out of their depth.
    The rest are alright and could do well .

next question please.
    *yawn*

5. Cruickinator

Cruickinator New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Nottingham
    next question please.
    *yawn*

Do you have a superioty complex?

6. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Pretty hard not to, round here.

7. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Fulham completely destroyed Bologna, It's Ipswich who are in the fair play rule.

They still had to win a play-off anyway.

I can see Leeds or Chelsea winning the Uefa Cup.

8. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Come again mate?

9. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    The cottagers are an Inter-Toto "cup" winner.

You sure you're from England?

10. Syncope

Syncope New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Nine teams in Europe this season. Congrats. I think it's nine, anyway, it's about half the league.

11. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Well we've got...

1. Arsenal
    2. Liverpool
    3. Manchester
    4. Newcastle
    5. Chelsea
    6. Leeds
    7. Fulham
    8. Ipswich
    9. Blackburn

I did forget Blackburn :D
    (but not on purpose)

12. KorovaMilkbar

KorovaMilkbar New Member

Jun 14, 2001
    don't forget Blackburn

13. thepremierleague

Mar 14, 2001
    London
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Blackburn are good enough to win it, but will probably not concentrate enough on it.

they may finish in the top 6 this year.

14. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    They have the players to go far this time around, especially with the addition of the fron two now.

Their bigest problem last season was scoring goals, whick souness addressed in the off season.
    Go far in Europe.....depends on how kind the draw is to 'em i suppose.

15. Cruickinator

Cruickinator New Member

Jan 14, 2002
    Nottingham
    Now you mention it I could be in Mexico.

16. sydtheeagle

sydtheeagle New Member

May 21, 2002
    Oxfordshire
    In the champions league, probably none of them. Arsenal's pedigree is well known, and whilst they have underachieved in Europe, by and large, in the past, it's pretty obvious that they are good enough to win the tournament on paper at least. Man Utd have winners experience and really little more needs to be said. Especially if you saw them on Wednesday night. Plus, that is really why Man Utd play football (to win the Champions League). Newcastle's demolition of Sarajevo ( who are not a joke) spoke volumes about the depth of England's entry. And Bobby Robson knows his way around preparing a team in Europe. Liverpool have won one European trophy and reached the last eight year. They are a stronger side than they were then today. It would not shock me if the last eight of the champions league contained all four English teams (though I doubt that it will). If you're looking for an abject failure among those four, good luck.

As for the UEFA Cup, Fulham are probably the weakest entrant but they seem to be improving very quickly indeed. Both they and Blackburn are sides you should under rate at your peril. Both potentially very good teams capable of upsetting some "big names". Ipswich, if they progress, are not even in the Premiership and only they will not be favoured to go some way into the tournament.

It would not be a shock to me if English teams won both European trophies this year, though I suspect four teams in the last eight and two in the last four of the champions league, with perhaps one in the final is more likely.