England's Best 10 strikers

Discussion in 'England' started by Alan D, Sep 17, 2006.

1. GranCanMan

GranCanMan Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Take 5 strikers, I say. Rooney, Heskey, Defoe, Cole and one other. Personally I'd be tempted to go for Owen or Darren Bent, form permitting between now and the end of the season. I certainly wouldn't consider Crouch, as much as some favour him. If neither makeas convincing case between now and then, you could go with 4 and take Walcott as back-up but, as has been said, we took four in 2006 and ended up in a bad place, although that's partly to do with Sven's brain fart in taking Walcott along in the first place.

2. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    Crouch should go. He is a fantastic option to have coming off the bench.

For England, he struggles as a link man primarily because England play forward into space rater than feet.

It would have been interesting to see him play for Arsenal - he'd certainly be more effective that the rather hopeless Eduardo.

3. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    eduardo is a much better player than crouch, hes in a bad patch atm and injured but it take him over crouch anyday

crouch isnt good enough for a top 4 side

4. Stretch Armstrong

Jan 15, 2004
    I think Crouch is a good option for any side to have, and I do think Wenger should have gone in for him.

5. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    why? hes not got the ability to lead a line well, he isnt interchangeable with the other forwards in the 4 3 3 unlike rvp who led the line well and created chances

crouches movement is pretty pathetic compared to rvp etc

6. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Let's keep the club talk in their rightful forums please..

7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    When Crouch plays for Spurs he slows their passing game down continuously.
    Spurs play to feet quite alot and he's too slow with the ball and his movement isn't good enough to worry the best sides. Not good enough wth his back to goal or at creating space for others.
    He's not good enough in too many areas. He's a different option and can create problems from the bench. I woud rather have him in the squad than Bent tbh.

1. Rooney
    2. Heskey
    3. Carlton Cole
    4. Defoe
    5. Agbonlahor
    6. Owen
    7. Crouch
    8. Bent
    9. Zamora
    10. sinner78

It's hard to put them in order for quite a few reasons but I've done my best. From 5 to 8 there isn't much in it anyway. Just my preference.
    I don't consider Walcott an option as a forward. I would only take the top four.
    I would only take one of Defoe or Owen. Not both.
    If I was forced to take a fifth option it would be either Agbonlahor or Crouch because they offer something different in styles to the top four options.

8. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    mate if sinners there so am i

im a proper target man

lethal finisher but fat and slow, perfect

9. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    [​IMG]

You are a stunt double for Prestons Jon Parkin.

10. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Barry is hoping Louie Donowa gets called up.

11. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    xzen is tearfully looking through his pictures of kevin nugent as "turn back the hands of time" by R.Kelly plays in the background.

12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    lol hes a right fatty

what about that one who plays for river plate and literally shags anything with a pulse while eating pies?

[​IMG]

13. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    :D

We'll have to do trials for the tenth spot. It will probably get a bit competitive though. I'm now thinking of Jim Carrey warming up to play basketball in The Cable Guy :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0lbdPKl8hg"]YouTube- basketball scene from the cable guy starring jim carrey[/ame]

14. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Zamora's name is getting mentioned after his impressive form. Its good to have a load of options to choose from ,unlike some teams who depend on FIFA's horse shit rules to claim players.

15. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    I would rather rely on FIFA's horse shit rules than see Zamora line up for England. He might have scored a few goals recently (and don't forget his league record for the last two seasons was 3 in 48), but he is nowhere near good enough to play internationally.

16. whitecloud

whitecloud Member+

Jan 25, 2009
    Gulf Shores, AL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zamora is also ineligible to represent England. Trust me American fans can quote this FIFA regulation verbatim because of Castillo, Rossi, Subotic, Torres(both of them) and others. Zamora switched his player registration to the Trinidad and Tobago federation in September for their World Cup qualifier with Honduras. Just because he didn't suit up for T&T because he was injured is irrelevant. Its a one time switch. Its not the cap that matters, but whether the registration switch was approved by FIFA. And it was. He can't take it back just because English fans suddenly like him.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/soccer/09/02/tnt.roster/index.html

17. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    For starters he about 12th in the striker pecking order before you start getting all smug.
    Secondly SI.com is even less reliable than goal.com for soccer news.

A player born/raised and capped by the england under 21's is not available eh
    Nothing like FIFA and their comedy rulings.

18. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Zamora's a bit guff but I'd be willing to make a bet with anyone that he'd be allowed to play for England simply because T&T never capped him.

19. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah it is capping which has always made the difference. I see nothing in that SI.com article that switching the registration ties a player, only if they then go on and get capped as in 99% of cases they do. The likes of Subotic and Rossi both went and got captied from playing competitive games, which Zamora has not.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/81/10/29/circularno.1147-eligibilitytoplayforrepresentativeteams_55197.pdf

In fact here are the regulations - the age rule has since been removed, so as Zamora has not played for Trinidad it is implied he can indeed play for England as he remains eligible for it. The issue is how to interpret the "one time switch", I think in the context of the regulations its about playing for two different teams, so a player can't switch to a third, however the original team should remain eligible if the player has not tied himself to the new team.

Not that Zamora will be called up in any case, barring the biggest injury crisis of all time.

20. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    rathjer take 4 gks than bring zamora

he scores about 3 goals in 4 games (usually gets 4 a season) and now hes mentioned for england? smh

21. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    anyone rate jerome from birmingham?

22. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    hes ok, his finishing is inconsistant at best

quick guy though, could be a decent player in the future

23. jd34

jd34 Red Card

Dec 5, 2009
    Strikers I'd choose at this time are:
    Rooney, Defoe, Heskey and Carlton Cole.

The reason for this is because England works by having one target man and one goalscoring machine of striker up front.