England's Best 10 strikers

Discussion in 'England' started by Alan D, Sep 17, 2006.

1. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Johnson is better than Owen now, because Owen is hobbling around after surgery... A walking, match-fit Owen is miles ahead of Johnson.. It's pretty much a given...

2. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's correct, Owen in his prime when he had pace (like Johnson has now) would be better than Johnson.

If you ask me, if'd take Johnson or Owen in my team. It would be Johnson. He is far more lively than Owen, he is faster, he fights for every ball. And who says he's can't finish? 21 goals for Crystal Palace last time he was in the Prem, and 5 goals out of 5 currently this season. He is what Owen was like when he was in his prime for Liverpool.

3. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That is Correct...

4. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well we'll see who scores the most goals over the next three seasons. (it's obvious Johnson is going to finish higher this season)

I'll put my money on Johnson.

5. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001

johnson is slang for penis in some areas of america.

how many goals has owen scored at international level??
    ive lost count .if andy johnson ever gets anywhere near owens total I will eat the entire brick wall on the left portion of my house.

Johno looked sh1te in all his outings so far for england .Hopefully he can become good but I wouldnt bet on it.

6. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Johnson has only played the last ten minutes, the last five minutes, and the game he did get a chance was on the rightwing. What would Owen look like on the rightwing?

So not a fair comparison. Johnson hasn't been given a chance at International level.

Owen has a great International record, there is no doubt about that. Past reputation Owen kills Andy Johnson. Because from 18-24 Owen was better than Andy Johnson.

But anyone would know that Owen isn't what he used to be, what made him so good was his pace, and he's lost a lot of it.

Johnson has scored 73 goals the last 3 years, Owen has scored 36. That's twice as many.

7. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Owen was fawkin injured, and used as a super sub, for most of that time.. Johnson was starting in a lower division for a year of that.. Don't even use that comparison...Johnson is good enough to polish Owen's boots before games, and that's about it...

8. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Johnson was injured too last season, and he was used on the wings in a few games in them years.

But Ok then, fair comparison.

Last time Johnson and Owen played in the Prem for a whole season.

21 goals - Johnson
    16 goals - Owen

Infact Owen never actually did score more than 20 goals in the Premiership, he never even reached 20, and that was playing for Liverpool, not Crystal Palace.

In last three years Johnson has been more prolific than Owen, his game has immensely improved, while Owen is not as good as what he once was. He's still quality and he's still capabale, but he's definetely not Michael Owen of three years ago.

Owen is past his peak, Johnson is coming into his. That's the difference. And I'd bet my house that Johnson will score more goals than Owen in the next few years. They have both very similar games, difference is that Johnson has got far more acceleration and pace, and he goes for Balls that Owen wouldn't reach.

9. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I recall, Owen's last season with Liverpool he was injured for a time. Johnson was fairly free from injury that season.

10. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    There were a lot of penalties in Johnson's total.

11. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    Just made a comeback as Condoleeza, so ain't so bad...............:cool:

12. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    And not forgetting to take Mikey out as he only has one leg,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but wait??? :rolleyes:

13. When Hell Unfreezes

Jan 8, 2004
    London
    AJ has the type of pace that upsets defenders, especially towards the end of a game, when they are getting heavy footed. The same goes for Crouchino, he has the height, to unsettle defenders, once they're too tired to get off the ground and he has a great touch for a longun.........

But Rooney is the absolute no. 1 and Mikey (if he ever plays again at International level) is no. 2. - but ignore him for now........

I'd give Bent a shot - he's got it all, in various quantities........:)

14. Colm

Colm Member

Aug 17, 2004
    UK
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Yeah Bent has got pace, power, good in the air and can score goals. Could do well if given a chance.

15. AnyLuckForEngland?

Jul 10, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    (I will pretend like everyone is healthy for purposes of this list.)

Rooney
    Owen
    Bent
    Johnson
    Defoe
    Ashton
    Crouch
    Zamora
    Harewood
    Ameobi.

16. Diable Rouge

Diable Rouge Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Michael Owen might go down as the most overrated player in the EPL history. Dude has never bagged 20 in a season! Stats are not the whole story, but still... In my book, if you want to be called one of the best as a pure 9, then you have to be in that 20-goals-a-year range.

17. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    ?????

Do you mean 20 league goals in a season?

He has scored more than 20 goals in a season 5 times and he has scored 181 goals in 353 games.

Not a bad record, nor is 36 in 80 for England.

18. Marko

Marko New Member

Aug 31, 2004
    Cardiff
    Exactly, and Michael Owen's Premiership record reads 125 goals in 227 games. That's better than a 50% strike-rate. What more does he need to do? Even if stats are the whole story, his record stands up!

He has absolutely been one of the better strikers in recent years. Whether he'll reach those heights again or not, we'll only know once he recovers from this serious injury. It won't surprise me in the least if he does, however.

19. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We dont have any good strikers full stop apart from Rooney but he really is not a striker.

20. cockney

cockney New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Trance Nation
    Owen
    Rooney
    Andy Cole
    Sheringham
    Defoe
    Crouch
    Johnson
    Darren Bent
    Beattie
    Ameobi

21. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    I wanna reply to this, but I don't know where to start.

22. three lions

three lions Member

Apr 2, 2005
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The total lack of knowledge in his facts says it all... Don't waste your time replying to him..

23. cockney

cockney New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    Trance Nation
    and who IS a [good] striker? Mr.Henry?

24. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The only good strikers i can think of who will be world beaters in the future are Walcott and Daniel Sturridge, until then we will have to make do this lot.

25. Pigs

Pigs Member

Everton FC
    England
    Mar 31, 2001
    Everywhere and nowhere
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Walcott won't result to anything, he's at frog loving Arsenal.

Our strikers are good enough