England v Germany • 9 Nov 2019, Wembley • DAS MEGA-SPIEL

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by sbahnhof, Nov 9, 2019.

1. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Sounds like a bad idea. Let's do it! :)

[​IMG]
    THAT'S RIGHT, WELCOME TO WIMBLEDON (Photo: Ian Hughes, cc-by)

The game is a friendly, but it's been built into something more. After the Women's World Cup's popularity, England are set to beat the attendance of 45,000 from their 2014 defeat to the same opponent at the same venue.

England beat Germany in the 2015 WWC 3rd-place playoff, and then Germany had the better of the 2 teams' SheBelieves Cup meetings in the U.S., the last being a 2-2 draw in 2018. And on the sidelines, it's Phil Neville's intense face vs Martina Voss-Tecklenburg's chipper expression. Which will prevail?

So, Predictions?
    Observations?
    Doom forecasts...?

And of course, Favourite clichés?
    https://languagecaster.com/football-cliches/

[​IMG] [​IMG] The form book: England are in friendly mode in the run-up to the 2020 Olympics and hosting Euro 2021. They've had a run of bad results, slightly improved by a dreadful 1-0 win in Portugal. The Germany team had a disappointing World Cup quarter-final exit, but they haven't missed a step in their Euro qualifiers so far.

Dzsenifer Marozsán has recovered from injury and health problems in the past year, and she played her 100th Lyon match in October. For England, Toni Duggan has an injury for today's game.

Following the game: If you want live updates, try BBC Sport, the Lionesses page and the DFB. In the UK the game's on BBC2 TV and radio, and in Germany Eurosport.

And there's some hype around the crowd.
    "IN THIS COUNTRY"
    "There is a chance the crowd on the day could even top the 80,023 that was the biggest turn-out for a women’s game in this country. That came when USA beat Japan 2-1 to claim gold at London 2012."

kolabear, blissett and Mills repped this.
  2. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Mills repped this.
  3. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Slightly inaccurate ;)... as it should be phrased: That came when USA was handed the win by the incompetence of the referees at London 2012. (yes, true Nadeshiko fans will never forget that robbery and the travesty that came afterwards).:rolleyes:

blissett repped this.
  4. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    Back on topic though. Home field advantage is nothing to sneeze at - especially in such case and Wembley Staduim has it's own magic. I'd pick England as favourites of this match. Sure Neville may feel the blade of the axe on his neck but utlimatelly it's all in players ....legs so to speak and I'm sure all Lionesses know and understand importance of this match and what it can do to further the developement of WoSo in this country.
    It's true that Germany had disappointing WWC but I don't think they dwell on it anymore.MVT has now really a lot of time to build a winning team worthy of EURO21 title thus it's no pressure for them today. I expect Germany today to rise for the occasion and be a part of great spectacle.

5. Mills

Mills Member

Aug 23, 2019
    #5 Mills, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    blissett repped this.
  6. Mills

Mills Member

Aug 23, 2019
    England squad to face Germany:

Goalkeepers: Mary Earps, Ellie Roebuck, Carly Telford

Defenders: Millie Bright, Rachel Daly, Lucy Bronze, Abbie McManus, Steph Houghton (C), Alex Greenwood, Demi Stokes, Gemma Bonner

Midfielders: Jordan Nobbs, Jill Scott, Lucy Staniforth, Keira Walsh, Leah Williamson

Forwards: Beth Mead, Lauren Hemp, Nikita Parris, Jodie Taylor, Ellen White, Beth England, Georgia Stanway

7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I fear some people may be surprised at how bad England have become since the WC. It will depend on the team Neville picks. Some of the old guard need replacing.

Cliche? “Thank your lucky stars. I’m here.” Phil Neville.

sbahnhof and Mills repped this.
  8. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What is England's problem?

At GK, I think they've missed Bardsley.
    At forward, Ellen White's been out and who knows if she's back in form for today's game
    Defense has been a bit of a shambles and that was true at the World Cup. I'm going to jump on the Leah Williamson bandwagon for now and say she needs to be starting on the backline.
    Midfield: ?

I haven't followed closely but I assume youngsters Nikita Parris, Beth Mead, and Georgia Stanway are bright spots.

sbahnhof repped this.
  9. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    you might of answerd your own question, lol, but here's their starting lineup
    EI8ZyKYWoAU-8Qy.jpg

10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Goalkeeper has been an issue since Bardsley got injured. Centre back partnership has been awful, especially continuously forcing Bright to play the ball out from the back. Playing Bronze in midfield ends up weakening the team in two positions.

Basically over depending on the senior options even when struggling, poor experimentation and Neville’s instructions (whatever they are) seem to be confusing the team.

His team doesn’t look that bad today though. Not that I agree with it all.

kolabear repped this.
  11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    WOW just as I thought they would go for experience, coach MVT is throwing her 3 pups in the starting lineup, maybe to humiliate Neville?(Kleinherne's 1st capped game & should be at CB) Watch out for the 18 year old Klara Buhl, could she be the next Birgit Prinz? as they've been lacking a star striker all decade long
    csm_213633-Startelf_16_9_b085e2685f.jpg

Mills repped this.
  12. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
  13. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    blissett and Mills repped this.
  14. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You made my day!

blissett and Mills repped this.
  15. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    30' - Doorsoun is lucky to stay on the field - yellow [​IMG] for a foul in midfield on Beth Mead

36' - Mead is fouled in the area by GK Merle Frohms, who then SAVES the penalty! Another miss by Nikita Parris... Who could've seen that coming? :oops:

44' - Goal England, 1-1, Ellen White

Mills repped this.
  16. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Lena Oberdorf really should play midfield... :thumbsdown:

17. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    [​IMG]Now Oberdorf's subbed at half-time :confused: Marina Hegering came in

52' - [​IMG] Sophia Kleinherne is booked, stepping on Parris's ankle accidentally. Some half-chances for both teams, but the intensity has dropped a little

63' - A Magull goal is ruled offside for Germany

blissett repped this.
  18. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    88' - Germany are piling on the pressure, and 90' Goal by Klara Bühl

19. Mills

Mills Member

Aug 23, 2019
    I'm upset that the free stream I found only worked half the time.

It was a real pain trying to watch this match.

From what little I saw, seemed like Germany bossed this match.

sbahnhof repped this.
  20. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    blissett repped this.
  21. sbahnhof

sbahnhof Member+

Nov 21, 2016
    Aotearoa
    Self-aggrandisement is a game of two halves

Full time!
    [​IMG] ENG 1 - 2 GER [​IMG]

There's a new name on the trophy, and their chickens have come home to roost! Germany got off to a flier but England gave the ball away cheaply, allowing the visitors to run riot, which left Neville sick as a parrot. Things went down to the wire on the hallowed turf when the Lionesses were pipped at the post, but the Germans just wanted it more. (© cliches.com)

[​IMG]
    Bühl: won the day for Germany
    (Sandro Halank, Wikimedia Commons, CC BY-SA 3.0)

Lechus7 repped this.
  22. Lechus7

Lechus7 Member+

Aug 31, 2011
    Wroclaw
    #22 Lechus7, Nov 9, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    It wasn't the best match to watch, it wasn't the worst. Germany fully deserved the win though. They started with a purpose, scored and pushed the Lionesses hard for next 20-25min. It could've been 2 or 3 during that time.. England finally woke up around 30th min while Germans were catching breath after first push. White equlizer before the brake was from borderline offside (it probably was offside but without VAR ref gave it benefit of a doubt for the good of the spectacle).
    In 2nd half the match was really dull (many subs didn't help the tempo), Germans kept composure though while England players mostly were gesturing toward ref trying to buy anything. Buhl's wining goal from Maro cross in 90th minute was totaly with the whole run of play in this match.

EDIT: Doorsoun foul on Mead was sure for YC imo but not RC. Reckless yes, excessive force - no. Mead tried to milk it though.

kolabear, Mills and sbahnhof repped this.
  23. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Deserved win for Germany, I have to say. The ref should have sent off Doorsoun for her foul on Mead. I initially thought White's goal was offside on the live coverage, but after examining the pictures, I'm not so sure anymore.

blissett, Ethan Frank, kolabear and 3 others repped this.
  24. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No doubt deserved win by Die Nationalelf, but the series of poor results by England cannot look good.

sbahnhof repped this.
  25. L'orange

L'orange Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jul 20, 2017
    Parris has missed three PKs in a row for England, I believe--or 3 of her last 4 attempts. You can't pick her for the job anymore. Today, she opted to kick the ball straight down the middle, but she kicked it too hard and it hit the keepers leg/foot as she was diving to her right. If you're going to kick the ball down the middle, you have to hit it softly so that the keeper's leg have cleared the middle area after her dive one way or the other.

blissett and sbahnhof repped this.