England Under 21 Discussions Thread #7

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    It's wrong. One of his parents is English born, albeit to Scottish parents I think.

Josh has already quite adamantly stated that he wants to play for England too.

2. SirWellingtonSilva

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Even so, he still has a lot more cause to switch than the others. But at least he wishes to play for england

3. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    The scottish league is utter garbage. No wonder they have now got a national team full of grandparent rule /school rule picks from England. The top division in Scotland is about the same as league one down here .They are now a bigger joke than ireland or wales .

in other news Ravel Morrison charged by the FA for "making a homophobic comment" on twitter. The grey suits are quick to hammer anyone these days to save face to the media .

4. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    AOC's form could have been a factor, I would be really dissapointed in Phillips if that was the case though. But being at Blackpool could also have been a factor too imo. Levien could have used his Scottish players there to persuade Phillips to change, a common practise.

Levien used Calderwood to nag and chip away at Andy Carroll about switching to Scotland when he was the assistant manager at Newcastle. I wouldn't be surprised if the Scottish players had been tasked at trying to persuade the likes of Phillips.

Also regarding Shelvey, didn't his Scottish eligibility only surface during/after the Blackpool loan?

5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I doubt it but I'm not sure. They have been spending money for quite a while to find out who is eligible for them. I assume they would have known about most higher profile young players long ago.

They are just going through players now to see who they can bring in for their next campaign. Like they were doing with Carroll for Euro 2012 qualifying.

6. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Mutch and Redmond both starting for Birmingham today.

7. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    impressed with Mutch

Redmond- meh, the commentators really wanted to make him sound better but I was not overly impressed

8. eagleforlife

eagleforlife New Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wilf Zaha tweeted this on the 15th December: Call up for england under 21's #buzzing

9. eagleforlife

eagleforlife New Member

Jun 15, 2007
    Club:
    Crystal Palace FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've only seen Redmond play once, against Crystal Palace, and Nathaniel Clyne had him in his pocket.

10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Matt Phillips in the Scotland squad.

11. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I didn't expect much from him - I thought it would be tough going. I wasn't paying that much attention (I found the whole week-end's football tedious not just Chelsea) but the few times I saw him get the ball he seemed to freeze - he was the opposite of when he really shone in the Europa Cup.

I'm a bit surprised how complementary the pundits have been over Sturridge for some time.

12. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    He is not even part of the under 21 setup and they "fast track" him into their first team. Next game he will be in their "under 21" team. They are using some crooked tactics with players. Out of all the players that have been mentioned only Mceachran would be a blow but I cant see him ever playing for them.

13. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  14. fernb8

fernb8 Member+
    Staff Member

Aug 12, 2002
    In fairness to Redmond he looked like a 17 year old playing against a seasoned Premiership and European International defender. It just seemed as if the commentators were trying to compensate for talking him up so much prior to kick off and in the early stages of the match as imo he did very little to impress. Mutch looked more composed and comfortable against the stronger opposition than Redmond.

As for Danny- it seems to be similar to Redmond that many of the commentators today just can not help but talk up and hype any young English attacking player and imo Danny still is not fully fit after picking up a knock. While he does frustrate for long spells he still has the ability to open up a defence or create something from nothing at least once per match. I am just not sure how well that translates to the International game where games can be decided on so few chances.

15. mo0.

mo0. Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    Craig Levein going on record stating Phillips' family approached Scotland, not the other way around. could be PR spin, but credit where it is due. if that's where he wishes to play.

16. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    yeah his one scottish grandma got on the phone to the "scotland hotline" and asked him to be picked for their first team. They left a newspaper advert with a phone number on it. "get in touch with us if you want to play for scotland" it said.

Its nothing to do being promised a fast-track right into the first team and the prospect of his agent angling for more wages as a full international. Lucky we have got pro-scottish posters like moo around here to keep us "informed" of events .

17. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    mo0. is not being very pro-Scottish on twitter about this :D It's been expected for a while now though.

There is no doubt that he has been fast tracked. He isn't even eligible yet and is in the squad. I can't think of many countries that would pick a player in their senior squad before the paperwork is even completed.

Here is Ian Holloway's view -

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12017/7535577/Phillips-snub-surprises-Ollie

He's talking rubbish about him not getting capped because he plays for Blackpool. He didn't get capped because of Pearce's idiotic selection policy. It might not have mattered anyway but Pearce was only picking one wide option in his squads.

Pearce is so slow with these kind of things. Same happened with Victor Moses. Pearce stops picking him completely for ages and then tries to get him back when he's already called up for another country.

18. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    In the next game he will be in the scotch under 21's. They just drafted him into the full team as an enticement . Another mug of a player who wanted fast rewards because the ££££ signs lit up in his agents eyes. His thinking is "full international = more money and maybe more chance of a move to a bigger team" . Like that idiot keeper who plays for Blackpool! how many times he has he played? he just travels as a 3rd or 4th stringer.

If we named squads were everyone who thought they were entitled to be picked got called up ,we would have 60 man squads.

19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    It's not about players that think they deserve a chance though. It's about those that are ready and at least deserve a call up. Pearce continuously ignores players for no obvious reason.

It's doubtful that it would have changed anything in this case but it's still ridiculous. Zaha has done well all season and is only just getting called up now. Even though nobody has even taken his place in any squad this campaign.

20. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    I know Pearce is the biggest clown in management ,but im not buying that quote by Holloway that he was "irked" about being overlooked. He has 5 under- 20 caps for christs sake. If he had grown up dreaming about playing for the 3 lions he wouldnt play for the sweaties at the drop of a hat. Just a mercenary who has eye on money ! If you're a real Englishman you would never even think about playing for that clown outfit.

I hope he likes playing for a team that never go to tournaments . Players like him are common at championship level!

21. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    The irked comment is stupid from Holloway. Even if he was being ignored I don't think that is an excuse at all. He was playing on loan in League 1 at points in this season and couldn't get a start for Blackpool. Whereas his main competition for a starting place was Oxlade-Chamberlain who has done well at U21 level.

Even before then Phillips was getting U19 caps when at Wycombe. So he's hardly been ignored and the FA have taken him to two tournaments to gain experience.

He should have made the last squad. Or at least someone else like say Zaha should have. For Pearce to pick only Oxlade-Chamberlain in his whole squad all campaign and then go and meet Phillips to ask him to stick with England sums up his planning again.

22. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    That pretty much sums it up. The FA had him in their system and took him to two tournaments . They were feeding him through the ranks and the sweaties came in and offered him a place as a full international. There is no way in hell he would switch if he had been offered a scotch under-20 or under-21 gig. It had to be a full cap to entice the mercenary!!

23. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Jack Butland goes back to Cheltenham for the rest of the season.

24. spal

spal Member

Sep 5, 2006
    I think Holloway has a point about players being ignored. If you play in the championship on loan from arsenal or man it's you are far more likely to get n the team. It took Moses a move the premiership before getting a call up despite great performances every week. Zaha has been great all season getting rave reviews and it takes this long. Clyne has not even made the squad this time yet a spurs reserve has made it on a regular basis.

I happens all the time. Ben Watson was phenomenal in the championship...and in the premiership for palace but a young Lansbury at Scunthorpe got in much easier because he was on loan from arsenal.