England Under 21 Discussions Thread #7

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Only Davies and Choudhury as proper midfielders, a bit short on that position, also too many wingers. Maybe could have called up another midfielder (Sam Field or anyone else) in the place of Sessegnon for example.

ESBFC123 repped this.
  2. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    It’s a shame. There’s so much talent in this squad, but I have no confidence in them. Well unbalanced and doesn’t seem like AB is even trying to fix the problems.

David Hurford repped this.
  3. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Reece James has been playing centre mid for Wigan of late, his performances at right-back might have warranted a place over KWP alone, but his versatility and aggression could've helped. He's in the U20s again.

ESBFC123 and hussar repped this.
  4. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Yes, James would be certainly an option there, he's been fantastic this season.

ESBFC123 repped this.
  5. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Refreshing after so many years of functional no nonsense players to have so many creative players in the squad. With Ejaria Onomah out I'm not sure who Boothroyd could have called up in midfield. James is very untested in that position. Like vs Denmark and Italy the idea will be to dominate possession from start to finish and score more than the opponent and I'm looking forward to it

6. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Still better than playing someone like Dowell in a holding position.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  7. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Yeah, I'm not getting some of the negativity. Hugely exciting set of players. There could be a midfield of Chowdhury - Foden - Maddison

ESBFC123 repped this.
  8. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Not really a surprising squad considering this guy is a complete fool. Even if you go by the argument that Boothroyd wants an attacking squad why doesn’t he pick Sessegnon as a defender? Leaving at least one place for a CM. Why doesn’t he drop Kenny for someone like Maitland-Niles who can play DM and full back. Maitland-Niles better be injured to be missing out :devilish:

Completely unbalanced squad and it would only take minor tweaks to correct.

9. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Agreed. On the positive side though, it’s important to have someone like Choudhury in there to let Foden and Maddison do their thing without too much restraint. Hoping we get to see that particular combination working together.

ESBFC123 repped this.
  10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Maitland-Niles starts tonight so guess he’s not injured :ninja:

ESBFC123 and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  11. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    W.A.S.P. and ESBFC123 repped this.
  12. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    He looked much more dangerous when he switched over to the left.

13. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    We took 9 defenders to the last euro's, hope we're not lining up to do that again. Absolutely no need to have Kenny or Lloyd (in the squad really. Considering Walker-Peters can easily cover left back and Sessegnon can also there's absolutely no need to take more than 7 defenders.

Plenty to enjoy in attack but the deeper midfield and pretty weak central defence will make it difficult for them to win the tournament you have to think. Maybe a couple of technicians next to Choudhury who's extremely limited on the ball but will cover a huge amount of ground and do a lot of the defensive work for them might work. A midfield of Davies, Foden and Maddison would be extremely lightweight.

14. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    I would take Trev Chalobah to the Euro's as a midfielder. I know he's seen in the England set up as a CB, but he has played week in-week out in midfield this season - sometimes as the sitter, sometimes as a 6 and played well more often than not.

Even if long term he is a CB, England U21s seem to be lacking mobile midfielders who can pass forwards effectively from a deeper role and Trev has been playing that role all season so can hardly be called 'out of position' there. Going to the Euro's would be a reward for a good season.

Also, there is no way that Reece James shouldn't be in the squad, he's an absolute cut above and is so versatile which is ideal for a tournament squad. I can see him easily leap frogging all the other young RBs into the full England squad in the next 18 months or so, with all due respect to Win-Bassaka

W.A.S.P. and David Hurford repped this.
  15. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Why can’t we produce quality and consistent performing Central Midfielders in abundance like we do full backs or attacking wingers? The quality is so lob sided it’s kind of ridiculous.

ESBFC123 repped this.
  16. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Because too few managers trust young English players in central areas, instead pushing them to wider positions which inherently brings less risk, and then they rarely get moved back inside.

W.A.S.P., ESBFC123, sharpovic and 4 others repped this.
  17. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    I keep thinking how useful Abrahams would be as a Vardy replacement at Leicester.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  18. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Looks like we might lose Lukas Nmecha to Germany which isn’t directly linked to the current U21’s but got me thinking about the next cycle. I can’t really think of many strikers that will step up after this Summer. Hopefully Brewster will be back fully fit and playing regularly but after that I’m struggling a bit. Is it just me or does it seem a bit lightweight for forward options for the next cycle? Names of the top of my head that could options, Greenwood, Maja, Loader. After that I’m struggling a bit?

ESBFC123 and David Hurford repped this.
  19. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Nketiah

ESBFC123 and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  20. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    it's because of the way football is played in England. Managers are incredibly risk averse and terrified to play CM who're not defenders. The gifted CM end up at 10 or on the wings. this philosophy has killed the national team for decades.

W.A.S.P. and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Forgot about Nketiah but I wonder if we will have forwards for the next cycle that potentially match the likes of Abraham, Solanke and Calvert-Lewin. I wonder for the first game of the qualifying after the Summer, which forwards are most likely to make the cut? Nketiah probably one then....

ESBFC123 repped this.
  22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I thought this mentality had changed with the England DNA etc? Always remember Dan Ashworth saying things like we need to develop more midfielders that can create and manipulate the ball etc etc.

23. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    it has changed at academy level and in youth teams , but at senior club level it's still a problem IMO. McTominay is more likely to make it in England than Colkett or McEachran

24. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Amn has a future as an attacking cm imo who can play wide right

He is a huge prospect

Cho is going to be as good as Sanchez imo. Looks like he could be an amazing g talent

25. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Could also be inventive and try someone like Nelson through a central role.

ESBFC123 and David Hurford repped this.