England Under 21 Discussions Thread #7

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Is Ovie Ejaria still eligible? Has just signed for Reading on loan

2. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Kasey Palmer, who spent the first half of the season at Blackburn bench is now heading to Bristol City on loan. It just doesn't seem to happen for him at the moment.

3. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    If it goes well I can see that becoming a permanent deal, like Dasilva's will be in the summer if he chooses to stay.

4. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    It's been a pretty rubbish season for most the under 20 world cup winning squad it must be said. Across the board they've failed to progress bar a couple of exceptions (namely Henderson, and the centre backs), the rest of the squad have either haven't kicked on from last season and in some cases have gone backwards.

I'm increasingly unsure if there will be any 10+ cap internationals out that entire squad.

David Hurford repped this.
  5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    While you mention Henderson, what a dive :ROFLMAO:

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  6. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Most people agreed that the individual talent in the squad wasn't outrageous, but the strength was depth and just a load of solid footballers that worked well together.

Apart from Onomah, i'm not sure if the career paths of any of them are going much differently to how I expected. Still think a good amount of them will get caps and a smaller amount will get multiple.

hussar repped this.
  7. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    It's more how little any of them particularly went on to thrive....I mean they might not have had the outright star power of the 00's, but with the likes of Roberts and Solanke there was certainly a lot of hope that hasn't come to fruition. When given chances most of them sadly have failed to take them.

Obviously the nature of the youth football is most won't go on to the top, but given the hope around the 97's, its funny that the 96's who achieved absolutely nothing are looking like they'll produce more regulars for England.

8. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    A lot of people expected Roberts to be world class. There are this those even today that expect him to be an England international.

9. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Harvey Barnes has been recalled by Leicester.

Hopefully he will play rather than what Puel did last season.

The wingers have been generally poor this season so the opportunity is there.

10. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Barnes is not just a winger, he played as an attacking midfielder at West Brom, perhaps is better in the middle too.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  11. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Right. Unless he is had a major change of heart in the last week, Puel is not going to play with 2 attacking midfielders. He is currently playing 3 defensive midfielders.

Otherwise Maddison is shunted out wide instead.

I am guessing Barnes will be on the bench tomorrow.

After that:
    Wolves Away
    Liverpool Away
    Man Utd Home
    Tottenham Away

I actually think it was daft to recall him

hussar repped this.
  12. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Pretty weird they didn't call him back last week for the Newport cup game, then do it 24 hours before a big game he was set to play in when he surely won't be ready to start for Leicester tomorrow now.

Doesn't exactly suggest a great deal of forethought has gone into this from Leicester, which is a bit concerning for Barnes.

13. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I think it probably suggests the opposite and that Barnes wanted guarantees this time, which put it off for a little while.

14. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Puel is a bit odd with his decision making. He thinks 3 defensive midfielders is the way forward.

Not sure what guarantees Barnes could be asking for. He doesn't get a say in it.

15. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Barnes on at half time in his first game back at Leicester

16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Didn’t see all the Chelsea v Newcastle game and tbh only parts of the second half but from what I saw Longstaff looked pretty tidy.

17. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Neither did I but he was Newcastle's MOTM according to fans on Twitter

18. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    He kind of does. Unless Leicester just don’t care at all about keeping him happy, which would be odd.

19. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    #9294 Placid Casual, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Oh. Right.

He didn't have to sign the contract offered

Should have been left at West Bromwich.

20. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    #9295 hussar, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    It looks like Lookman got ahead of Walcott and started today, played well. Calvert-Lewin came on as a sub but scored (and scores quite a lot lately). Hopefully both of these two will be important cogs in the Everton machine from now.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  21. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    W.A.S.P. repped this.
  22. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Barnes starts for Leicester - in the place of Maddison though.

23. ESBFC123

ESBFC123 Member

Barnsley FC
    England
    Jan 19, 2019
    I'm very surprised Boothroyd hasn't given call ups to Che Adams or Jarrod Bowen yet, both having very strong seasons

24. Iansutton270390

Iansutton270390 Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Jan 12, 2019
    Yeah Adams being linked with a few prem clubs. Kinda hope he does move this window just because he is like Abraham in the sense that he is a prem player playing in the championship.
    Don't know what bowen has to do to be picked tbh. I would hope he gets picked soon as his dad is Welsh and Wales were looking at him last year.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  25. ESBFC123

ESBFC123 Member

Barnsley FC
    England
    Jan 19, 2019
    I wouldn't be surprised if Adams gets a move in this transfer window and makes that step up. If he got a decent amount of mins and goals in Prem then surely he'd be closer in Boothroyd's plans you'd think .
    I wasn't aware of the Wales connection with Bowen, but if that's the case all the more reason to get him called up and integrate him into the England setup. A lot of potential there.

TopBanana10 repped this.