England Under 21 Discussions Thread #7

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Apparently Mason Holgate is available for loan and teams from the Premier League & Championship are interested. This isn’t really a surprise as he’s really fallen way down the pecking order since Marco Silva has been at the Club. It’s a shame for his development but he needs a decent move to get back into the U21 reckoning come the Summer.

2. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Not to mention that he couldn't be much worse than Mina.

3. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Quite, he hasn’t looked all that convincing from what I’ve seen tbh. I wasn’t surprised that the English numbers starting have dwindled since Silva took over, maybe he just doesn’t fancy English players idk but I think it was a similar theme at Watford. I can’t understand why Lookman isn’t given a proper chance to establish himself in that team, he looks better than both Bernard and Walcott from what I’ve seen but Silva seems reluctant to give him a proper chance.

hussar repped this.
  4. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I would have to assume it's attitude problems with Edwards as has been cited before. If so, we might as well just forget about him.

5. brettspurs

brettspurs Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    England
    Nov 9, 2017
    There was an article with one of Excelsior's directors recently where he said they've had no disciplinary issues with him, so unless something has changed in the last month then I don't think it's that. Only negative thing he did say was that he's very quiet and doesn't really join in with the group, which tallies with what was said of him at Norwich.

I think he just lost his place as he wasn't effective enough in the final third, he worked himself into so many good positions through his own good play but other than winning a lot of fouls around the box it mostly amounted to little. It's frustrating because you watch him and you can tell he has far more ability than most he's on the pitch with but he's overcomplicating things rather than taking the simple and often more effective option, he's also snatched at a lot of chances that he'd usually put away.

I do still have faith in him(attitude withstanding) but it might take him a little longer to find his feet in senior football, as is often the case with smaller players. Not sure what they'll do with him in January, he hasn't featured in any of their past five games(missed one through illness) so that's obviously not great but then they might think the benefits of him being away from home and around a first team setup are worth keeping him there for.

Jenks repped this.
  6. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Edwards is a really long shot to become an important player in my opinion. Far too many issues and far too little impact as a footballer at this point.

7. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    My choice to replace Lewis Cook would be Skipp. It would also help to balance out the team.

W.A.S.P. and brettspurs repped this.
  8. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    this seems like a massive case of hindsight. He had a good spell last season, people moaned about him not being included for about a month, then he's barely had a mention in any discussion on the forum since. They can't just cap everyone, especially in his position which is the most competitive.

9. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Hardly hindsight to say he should have been called up at some point in such a long campaign. A player that has continuously played games at a good level. We have had continuous squad pull outs during these times also.

Marcho Gamgee and sharpovic repped this.
  10. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Well you’re only saying it now cause he’s had a good month. He wasn’t mentioned at all for any of them squads as they happened this season.

11. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    #9236 BarryfromEastenders, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    No I’m not. It’s been obvious for years how Boothroyd picks squads. As soon as Bowen missed the first few squads in this cycle it was pretty obvious to me that he would have to be exceptional to even get a call up. So bringing his name up continuously becomes pretty pointless. Especially when replacements are very rare. Doesn’t mean he shouldn’t have got a call at some point.

12. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Jenks and hussar repped this.
  13. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    Breaking in to the squad when you've not been involved with England before is a lot tougher for the likes of Bowen than it is for long term involved players like Kasey Palmer is and that isn't the way it should be.

14. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Kasey Palmer was picked for the U21s after helping a side win promotion from the Championship in 16/17 and hasn’t been involved since.

The implication that his call up was less deserved than Bowen’s is just a bit weird and again, fudging reality in hindsight.

15. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    Palmer didn't make a big individual contribution though and never has at first team level, whereas Bowen has played a starring role for Hull the last two seasons. You could see him being an effective premier league performer based on his achievements in that time whereas Palmer was just a Cauley Woodrow selection.

16. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Huh?

Palmer was great in Huddersfield's promotion year and when he was called up to the U21 squad had just played in their opening three PL games.

17. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Jake Hesketh (on loan from Southampton) scored the only goal which took Burton to the League Cup semi-finals:

18. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    I read here and there that Foden had a poor game, couldn't watch but doesn't look that bad here

19. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I still think he could use a two season loan to learn his trade. KDB, D. Silva, B.Silva and Gündoğan is just too much to force his way in front of when he's only getting sporadic game time, and it'll only get worse if the Isco rumours are true.

20. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Maybe I'm turning into a grumpy old man but why is his shirt number 47? I don't like it.

21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Funnily enough, I heard the opposite and that we are not in for him but guess we will wait and see.

22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    He played just fine from my recollection, had a bit of a sloppy start but grew into the game, especially in the second half.

23. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    First PL start for Hamza Choudhury.

24. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    He started at least one towards the end of last season.

25. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Harvey Barnes continues to quietly have an amazing season, producing great numbers. 9 goals and 6 assists in 21 games. Only turned 21 two weeks ago.

The best under 21 England player in the division so far, despite the hype for Mount (who's been a little indifferent since his call up but clearly has ability). Certainly Mount has a tendency to let games bypass him at the moment which he'll need to work on before being ready for Chelsea, but the quality is there the couple of times a match he comes alive. Next loan for him will be very important and needs a carefully selected club, I think a bad premier league loan could really set him back.

hussar repped this.