England Under 21 Discussions Thread #7

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    So, no news on any call ups for the next game? Got to be honest I would be amazed if the Boothroyd and the FA are not on the phone trying to call up a few more players.......but then again, this is this regime where talking about who seem reluctant and determined not to call up replacements for some reason.

2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I don’t mind Dowell but in a deeper role he troubles me. He is a bit of a passenger off the ball at the best of times and isn’t one you can rely on to close space down when necessary.

The problem with Boothroyd is we either play a regressive defensive approach throughout a game or the game is played wide open and games become a complete lottery. There is no structure to our game and we look embarrassing when we give up the ball. Regardless of the players available we end up doing the same things.

He’s had so long to get the midfield right but it looks just the same as the last campaign. Compare that to what Downing did with the U19’s. We had the likes of Josh Dasilva coming on and complimenting the team, making the team solid and helping us on the ball.

3. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    It’s quite hard at this point. If the game was in England it might have been possible. It’s embarrassing but has gone on for years.

4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Indeed and no one seems to question the approach with this issue or are just not aware. I mean, surely some journalists would have looked at the team sheets last night and thought blimey, do we really not have that many players to pick from compared with Italy. They must have seen how many subs Italy had and then looked at ours, especially after Kelly had to come on after a few minutes which left us with no defenders on the bench. Ridiculous at this level.

5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    You would think they would mention it but I always find coverage of the U21’s to be pretty awful. Only thing that really creates a headline for them is if they focus a whole report on the next presumed star of the team. They don’t raise much of a question about anything.

Pearce years ago used to get away with dreadful preparation like this and nobody would question anything. Just write up on his quotes about how we should always take our strongest squads etc. Boothroyd was a shambles at the last tournament and I don’t recall anything being questioned.

Marcho Gamgee and TopBanana10 repped this.
  6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #9056 Marcho Gamgee, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
    Jack Simpson called up to the Squad

Odd, so we haven’t got any other Centre backs that play regular first team football in the Prem or the Championship......

7. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Tuanzebe is the one. He's been playing great for Villa recently and has really won over the fans.

8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, he was an obvious choice to drag in tbh, can’t really understand why he hasn’t unless he rejected a call up and to be honest, the way Boothroyd handles call ups with injuries, I’m not surprised. These players should have been called up as soon as the initial drop outs started and not halfway through the international week.

9. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I wanna know who the Simpson call-up is a favour to, because it makes very little sense in isolation.

10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    It is all laughable. You would imagine or at least hope Boothroyd’s superiors are cringing. It really is unfair on players like Tuanzebe who lose out on any possibility to impress before the finals.

wellno and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  12. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Simpson straight in for his debut.
    Strange decision unless Kelly also has a knock as thought he was excellent against Italy.

Don’t understand Boothroyd though, these are friendly games and he can’t rotate the keepers to give them game time.

13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Only 5 outfield players on the subs bench, must be more pull outs. Abraham must have pulled out I’m guessing. Is this just an incredible coincidence that we have so many injuries pulling out or is something going on here behind the scenes?

14. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    A meaningless game before the busiest month of the year (Villa have nine games between now and (inclusive) New Year's Day for example), if you can get some rest in then it probably makes sense.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    If you get in your car now Aidy might pull you out of the crowd in the second half for some game time.

16. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Feels like the only reason this game is still going ahead is to give KWP + Solanke some minutes.

I understand giving your first choice keeper the majority of the minutes, but it feels like Gunn should've played in this one.

17. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Cook/Foden/Dowell is an interesting midfield trio. Nelson/Solanke/Gray looks good up front too. Don't mind this line-up at all.

Simpson though... yeah, no idea. Is he good? I don't even know.

18. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Haha, unfortunately it would take me about 6+ hours to drive there, plus rush hour traffic around Copenhagen, so might just miss kick off, lol. Next time they come to Sweden or Denmark, I’ll email Aidy to let him know I’ll have some Dual qualified lads all U21’s standing by with there boots if needed. ;)

19. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It's pretty shit that 4/10 outfielders have barely played senior football this season.

JRSG repped this.
  20. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Quite like the 11 tbh. Might be too open but interested to see Cook Dowell Foden combine in midfield, although Dowell in a deep role is unknown quantity

21. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Yeah, the midfield might very well might get overrun, but this is the match to find out. Glad to see that Boothroyd isn't wasting the chance to be a bit more adventurous on this occasion.

22. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    In isolation, i'd be bringing KWP + Solanke to the Euros no matter what. But if Boothroyd was to say to them two and Dowell, 'look lads, i've stuck with you for 18 months, given you minutes throughout and this month, but unless you get out on loan in January I can't bring you to the Euros.' I'd kinda respect it.

He's showing them more loyalty than the clubs are and the players need to recognise that.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  23. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Poland set to upset Portugal.

24. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Jack Simpson aside (a truly bizarre call up, yet alone cap), I don't really see too much wrong with the 11 (though Gunn should also be given a chance), lack of club starters but that's a problem in general for these young players, and what better opportunity to give them a chance than under 21 football.

It's been a good break for Solanke who's still our most talented striker at this level, put him in the shop window for a decent championship or weaker foreign league loan hopefully (I hope he avoids going to a premier league club which is pretty punishing for young strikers).

25. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Thought that was a superb half. Silly goal to concede but overall in total control. My only negative is an obsession of mine sorry for the broken record... But I feel Foden is better on the center / right part of the pitch than on the center / left part of the pitch. Moved towards the right part for a few seconds and immediately made the beautiful assist. But very few complaints for me here.