England Under 21 Discussions Thread #7

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  2. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Decent 11. Still not a fan of Sessegnon on the left wing but with the players at disposal I guess he's the best option.

3. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    #8878 BarryfromEastenders, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Playing a team like Andorra who are going to sit so deep it is just typical of Boothroyd to play a right footed option at left back. It will make the team too narrow. It’s happened so much in previous games against teams who offer more space than Andorra will.

Put Sessegnon at left back and stick Calvert-Lewin slightly wider. Then we have an extra attacking option (say Solanke) to link play. Or even give Foden a free role and stick someone else in the 10 role.

4. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Wouldn't be 100% certain that XI has Sessegnon on the left.

Dumb that you've got KWP on the left against a side that should be super defensive.

Unless it's 3-5-2 with Kenny in the middle.

5. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I like Kenny but KWP at RB and Sessegnon at LB would have been nice to see just to have options and then of course it is against Andorra so it would be beneficial for the now also.

6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Kenny is completely redundant in these type of games. He’s pretty painful with the ball in tight spaces and can’t be relied on to link play high up the pitch. He makes the runs and has a decent cross in him but you really want more considering the options available in this group.

brettspurs repped this.
  7. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I think Davies, Kenny + DCL could be the scapegoats of next summer. And I don't mean unfair scapegoats.

IGSpur repped this.
  8. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    #8883 sharpovic, Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    agreed, don't see the point of 2 pure CM against Andora. I would have started Onomah btw, probably instead of Davies

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  9. IGSpur

IGSpur Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I think they're all very decent but limited. It's great they're coming through and getting chances, but ultimately they will be able to provide depth to England's selection pool in the future and won't/shouldn't be first choice. Kenny is a decent RB no more, same with DCL uptop. Davies is probably the most talented of the lot, and even though he has taken me by surprise with his development since u16 days, he sin't the greatest CM either. I'd rather one of TA or DS uptop. And Onomah in the middle, and KWP RB. Playing KWP at LB is so annoying

10. PalaceAcad

PalaceAcad New Member

Crystal Palace
    England
    Jul 14, 2018
    No AWB. Very odd.

11. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    First U21 goal for Lookman.

Saving him for the Scotland game. ;)

12. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I presume Tomori is also being saved for the Scotland game, also not on the bench tonight.

13. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I hope Solanke gets on early in the 2nd half. This is a pretty pointless game because the gulf is so huge and he could really do with a chance to bag a few.

14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Anyone got a decent steam on Ipad/Iphone? My usual site has crashed.

15. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Foden looks a class above anyone else IMO, although I wish he received the ball in different areas. Still not convinced by Cook, he isn't bad but I'm not sure the hype is deserved. Nice goal from Lookman. I like Konza too, good composure.

16. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Oh Nelson you cheeky little...

Garibaldi11 repped this.
  17. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    What a player Foden is. He's not only amazing on the ball, he also has a fantastic engine. We're very lucky to have him. Great cameo from Nelson. I'd play him and Lookman on the wings, with Sessegnon left back and KWP right back. Onomah in the center for Cook or Davies. A ball playing CB is also needed in that 11 to pass forward IMO, can't think of an obvious candidate (although Konza is pretty composed).

18. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    It was only Andorra but great to see a bit of stardust in the 21s for a change. Foden played in two balls tonight that were reminiscent of KDB.

Scotland will be a bit more of a test so let’s see.

19. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Yeah I like Konsa. Other options that spring to mind are Tuanzebe and Clarke-Salter. Both decent on the ball.

sharpovic repped this.
  20. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Ramsdale - TAA, Holgate, Gomez, Chilwell - Loftus-Cheek, Wink - Maddison, Mount, Gray - Rashford.

Burgoyne - Connolly, Tuanzebe, Worrall, Pearce - Maitland-Niles, Ejaria - Palmer, Nketiah, Ojo - Armstrong

You can make some sides out of the players not involved but used in this Euros cycle that would easily have competed with past U21 sides. Does seem like there's been a huge leap taken from the 97s onwards.

21. Manchester21

Manchester21 Member

Manchester City
    England
    Jun 17, 2017
    foden just has it.

i dont understand the calls for onamah to be honest. i think hes a very average player, whos struggled in most teams.

for me watching the game. we seemed to play at such a high tempo, running flat out every time, which will not work in big tournaments.

22. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
  23. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Fair enough, but they weren't playing in a big tournament tonight so why shouldn't they?

24. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Not true about Onomah. Probably our best player at the world cup u20, looked good and sometimes very good when he played with the u21. Only time he's struggled a bit is with Villa (actually think he did alright out of position), and doing very well atm with Sheffield.

kbarrett2316 and IGSpur repped this.
  25. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    By struggled in most teams, you mean 'I heard he struggled at Villa from Villa fans.'

IGSpur repped this.