England Under 21 Discussions Thread #7

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Tom Davies is a real strange case. Still have no idea what he does other than getting about a bit. Looks desperate for an identity. To think some people wanted him starting at the last U21 Euros and in the senior squad.

2. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Embarrassing stuff from Onomah.

3. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I see we are winning 1-0 though, is it that bad? Not been able to watch as my stream is to bad.

4. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Great pass from Maddison for the goal and a clever finish from Cavert-Lewin.

try vipleague.bz

5. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    It's probably the worst performance I've seen since Boothroyd shat the bed against Germany.

6. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    The amount of times they've hit the ball straight at a Ukraine player is truly baffling.

7. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Damn, see it's 1-1 now. I had a feeling we were going to make hard work of this.

8. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    2-1 Solanke. Chillwell has put in some lovely crosses. Very harsh on Ukraine if they lose this. Typical Boothroyd display. Same as last campaign poorly structured mess.

9. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Highlights - Maddison & Worral

Lowlights - Davies & England's playing out from the back

10. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I wouldn't be too shocked if Curtis Jones went to this u21 finals.

11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Really?? He would have to have some year next season and playing 1st team football. Great talent but maybe a bit too soon.

12. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Just out of interest, I had a look at how many 18-year-olds have made the last few under-21 tournament squads, and you've got:

2017 - none
    2015 - none
    2013 - 1 (Chalobah)
    2011 - 1 (Wickham)
    2009 - 2 (Rodwell, Rose)
    2007 - 1 (Vaughan)

It's a small sample but if anything it's getting less common. Of that lot, Wickham had over two seasons of first-team football behind him, Chalobah had had one full season at Watford, Vaughan and Rodwell had been in medium rotation for at least a year, and Rose somehow got selected without even making his his professional debut.

I guess if there was going to be an 18-year-old in next year's squad, you'd probably be looking at Hudson-Odoi, Gomes, and Jones as the favourites, but I wouldn't bet on any of them. If anyone, maybe Hudson-Odoi on the basis that he's had some senior involvement already and looks more physically developed than the other two. It wouldn't amaze me if he managed to secure a Championship loan for next season and make a success of it.

wellno, Marcho Gamgee and The Potter repped this.
  13. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Mason Mount and Phil Foden have a legit chance, especially Mount, but Curtis Jones is not jumping in front of those two players at this stage of his career.

14. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Whatever happened to Roswell, I thought he'd have a really good epl career. He seemed a real talent.

15. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    None of that crew come close to Jones for talent. Oxlade-Chamberlain, also, popped up and was soon in the u21s (if not attending a finals) and then next year was off to the seniors.

I didn't mention future England star Hudson going because I didn't think anyone would be at all shocked if he went. Seems I was wrong.

I would be shocked if Gomes went. Really, really shocked.

16. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I wasn't talking about next week.

17. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Nobody said that, you're fighting straw men again.

18. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It was embarrassing wasn't it. Very poor technique. He just refused to kick the ball with his left foot.

19. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I wouldn't be too shocked if Jones does indeed do that. I said a while ago I expected him to play for Liverpool's first team this year and when he does I would expect him to do very well. The u21s is the breeding ground for the senior team and I'm sure Southgate will be looking to get him in there pronto. .

20. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Speaking of Crowley...

980092781094940672 is not a valid tweet id

21. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    #8471 Slater582, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    England will play Qatar, China & Mexico in Toulon this May/June. Boothroyd will be coaching the side and those born in 1997 or later are eligible. A quote from Boothroyd on the FA website

I can understand selecting from those born in 1998 but don't see that there's much to be gained from weakening the squad sent to the UEFA U19 competition, particularly with qualification for the next FIFA U20 World Cup at stake.

I wonder how strong the Toulon unit will be. Many of the '97 and '98 lads were at a tournament last summer and will hopefully be competing at the UEFA U21 in 2019. Several clubs will not want to release certain players, particularly those around their first team.

22. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    The Leagues finish earlier this year so most people should be available. The playoff finals are all on the same weekend that the Toulon tournament starts, so they will be the only players definitely unavailable. Plus any City/Liverpool players who could be in a potential CL final squad (Nmecha, Solanke etc)

I'm sure the Euro U19s will take priority. Their main issue is players being pulled out for pre-season anyway.

Would be nice to see Reece Oxford, Marcus Edwards and maybe a couple of others involved. Players who could do with the gametime and a bit of a boost. It'd also be great to see Pat Roberts back in an England shirt in a summer tournament. Exactly what he needs to get back involved in the set up.

I'll be a bit underwhelmed if it's just a fairly standard U21 side playing.

23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #8473 Marcho Gamgee, Apr 2, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    I will be very underwhelmed if it's our regular U21 side that goes, tbh I was rather underwhelmed when we won it two years ago when Southgate basically made a name for himself when winning it as he basically took our strongest Squad and won against mainly U20 Squads if memory serves me right but the media didn't really pick up on that. I understand why they did it as it served a tournament experience for the lads in build up to the Euro finals but just with the different age range compared to other teams, we should have won it.

I hope he takes a miss mash Squad of talent that really hasn't had much of a look in, like last years Squad tbh. Some players made a name for themselves and did there careers no harm at all for being noticed, like Brooks, Barnes, Viera, Worral, Tymon etc and also helped expand our talent pool. So yeah players that haven't been involved for a while like Roberts, Crowley, Bowen, Egbo then a mix of U20 & U19 fringe players.

24. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I'd quite like to see Eberechi Eze involved in some squad as soon as possible, I think he's trained with Nigeria before but i'm not sure if he's fully committed anywhere. I don't think England have given him a choice to make yet.

Toulon would be much more valuable for him then it would be for some others.

GK
    Trott - Woodman
    RB
    Walker-Peters (as a right back) - Wan-Bissaka
    CB
    Adarabioyo - Reece Oxford - Clarke-Salter - Tomori
    :LB
    Demetri Mitchell (will be touch and go with injury) - Jay DaSilva
    CM
    Davenport - Ejaria - Field - Tayo Edun
    AM
    Roberts - Edwards - Eze - Maddison
    ST
    Solanke - Armstrong

Would have Tuanzebe + Onomah in there too but Villa may be in the playoffs.
    Tayo Edun may be with Fulham, but hopefully he'd be released.

Something like that would be a good mix. I've included way too many defenders, but this was off the top of my head.

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  25. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    I don’t think any of the under 21 squad will go to the Toulon tournament