England Under 21 Discussions Thread #7

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    What then? Central midfielder? Behind the striker?

I get that City have been playing him more centrally but he's been mostly on the right for England so far. If he's a midfielder, then clearly the clash with the under-19s' strongest positions doesn't exist and he's much more likely to get a game there than for the under-21s.

2. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm sure Guardiola would see him as potential back up for Silva and De Bruyne rather than Sterling and Sane.

3. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Ok, but we don't really play like Man City and it's hard to see that we'll try. I could see him sneaking into a three-man midfield if we wanted to switch formations, but otherwise the line immediately behind the striker(s) looks more likely, doesn't it? Centrally or wide.

4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    At the half way stage our group looks like this -
    U21.jpg

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  5. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We already got Netherlands and Ukraine away done with. We're in the drivers seat.

6. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    I often prefer when skillful attacking midfielders who're not super quick without the ball play central. However, I think Foden has looked better wide right so far, allows him to come inside and easy to find.

7. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    James Maddison scores from a free-kick again.

8. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    W.A.S.P., Jenks and BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  9. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Demarai Gray appears to have the trust of Claude Puel. Started as the #10 behind Vardy on Saturday.

Chilwell started again as well. He is very close to being first choice left back now.

hussar repped this.
  10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Gray and redmond are 2 quality talents

Hopefully both play at 2020 and beyond if I’m right about them

11. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Gray maybe, but Redmond seems to have stagnated and I know the Southampton fans don't rate him much.

12. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He needs more freedom imo

13. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Lookman scored a couple of well taken efforts in the first half for Everton. The second one was a cracking long range shot.

14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Gray has a decent chance of making the WC if he keeps playing and maintains form. There is a place in the squad for this type of player and there isn't a great deal of competition for that sub role that offers width. Sterling and one other option.

15. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Was a bit surprised by the Liverpool line up but Solanke starts for them today. Gomez also starts.

The Guardian repped this.
  16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Actually pretty good reading for the U21's in this game as I think it's six players starting today in total.

17. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Interesting. Solanke really needs to kick start with a few goals now.

18. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    Solanke has been poor.

19. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I don't think he really took his chance but he's young and will get better. Had some pretty good link up play especially in the first half but went quieter in the second, just think he needs focus more on movement off the ball and make himself available more, learn from someone like Firmino.

20. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I thought he was absolutely fine

21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Thought Gomez was excellent though.

22. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Sadly, Solanke didn't just not score, the team also didn't win after dominating so much and being one goal up. Others were largely at fault (even with Everton making it so hard with so many players focusing on defence so much) but it won't encourage Klopp to pick him next time. And therein lies the problem with young players getting a chance. When the chances come they have to take them.

23. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    McTominay looked sharp last night in the 2nd half. Had 4/5 really impressive moments that got the crowds attention. I think he's still getting to grips with the physicality he has, but when he puts it to use it's a gamechanger for him.

I do think we'd have a chance at grabbing him if there's space in the U21 squad. He turned down Scotland to 'concentrate on United' in November which would be an odd move if he's 100% in on Scotland.

Honestly wouldn't be awful for him if United signed a centre mid and let him go on loan in January. He's just turned 21 and still has only a handful of games under him.

24. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Just when it looked like Solanke had scored the winner, coming on as sub, and the ref decided it was hand ball. Unlucky.

25. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Kenny is now a regular part of what seems to be a very good Everton defence.