England Under 21 Discussions Thread #7

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #8101 Marcho Gamgee, Sep 5, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    Is it being televised? Just so I can search for a stream to see it.

Edit: just seen BT Sports

2. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    It's on BT Sport 1. I'm sure you'll find something.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  3. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah thanks, just saw on Englands twitter page, hopefully I can find it on YouTube to save me watching it on my computer, IPad is easier.

4. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Drop me a message if you find a decent stream? I'm in the same boat.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, likewise :)

6. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
  7. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    This is too easy - we're dominating at a canter. 2–0 up after 35 minutes.

8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I see Scotland are 2-0 up against the Dutch with only a few minutes left, really good result for them which I didn't really expect as thought the Dutch were a good side against us, maybe I underestimated the Scots.

ChristianSur repped this.
  9. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Well that was a walkover really. They didn't put up much of fight so it's difficult to know how pleased to be with our performance, but we didn't really put a foot wrong. After the first couple of games, this is an eleven that I'd like to see:

[​IMG]

I think writing at length about the rationale would be boring and self-indulgent, so I'll just say that I'd have liked to include five midfielders and two or three strikers, and I really have no strong basis for choosing one keeper over the other. If Loftus-Cheek gets a senior call-up, which I hope he will, then I'd probably go for Onomah over Winks. Or not. There's certainly no lack of options.

10. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I was thinking whilst watching that game, we shouldve played KWP v Holland and Chilwell tonight. I love KWP, but it seems dumb to have him at left back v a minnow when he's always going to struggle off his left compared to a natural like Chilwell.

11. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    As an aside, Martin Keown is a bona fide moron.

12. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I know the opposition was not up to much but there was a lot of good performances out there all through the team and it is nice to see we have some quality strikers on show because it's been a long time since we have had a group as good as Solanke, Abraham, Rashford and Calvert Lewin coming through at the same time IMO.

13. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Finished 3-0 over Latvia.

Gray, Abraham, and Palmer scored.

We're in second place as Ukraine has a better goal difference.

14. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Take out Davies and replace him with Onomah. I rate Davies, but think Onomah has just as much quality and is more physical. I'd like to see Henry over Chilwell, but something tells me Chilwell will be perform better.

15. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is the age group that were a game away from playing us in the 2014 U17 finals, but a lot has happened since then. Notable ex-England players, eligible are Ollie Burke and Ruben Sammut. There's also that tall midfielder from United that can play for Scotland as well.

16. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I'd have said the same before tonight but Davies really was brilliant. He's more of a dynamic sort of player too, which might better balance Loftus-Cheek's laconic style.

17. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I have a feeling Loftus-Cheek won't be with the U21s for much longer.

18. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Yeah, agreed. To reiterate...

19. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    I'd play Onomah too but I'd drop Cook and not Davies. Pretty sure Boothroyd will manage to play the only midfield three I don't want to see though.

20. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Davies didn't take long to impress when given the chance last night.

21. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    It was Latvia U21s. Of course he's fine at this level. But i'd still rather he be first choice in the U20 tournament we have. I also don't think he was particularly great, he did decently, but didn't stand out really.

If you'd read + processed my whole post it's not simply about whether he has the quality to contribute at this level.

22. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I thought he did stand out and deserves a chance to show whether he can do it against stronger opposition. If he isn't going to be a regular starter, I agree with you that he'd probably be better off starting for the under-20s, but if Loftus-Cheek does get promoted to the seniors then Davies could be one of four key central midfielders competing for two or even three spots, and he'll get plenty of starts that way. Davies himself could even get a senior call-up at this rate.

Alexander-Arnold, though, might be better off with the under-20s. Not that he didn't do well last night - he contributed plenty going forward - but on the balance of his defensive and attacking work I think I'd currently have him behind both Kenny and Walker-Peters. He could make very quick progress though, so I guess we'll see.

23. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    He would probably play stronger opposition in more demanding situations for the U20s? Italy, Czech Republic + Germany are the U20 games left in 2017.

Being expected to lead the midfield in them three games will tell you more about him then being a member of a really strong side coming up against Scotland, Andorra + Ukraine.

24. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I meant stronger under-21 opposition than Latvia, but it's a fair point.

25. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #8125 The Guardian, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
    Davies was good enough to play for Everton in the Premiership last season so I think it perfectly reasonable to consider him suitable to play u21 football this season.