England Under 21 Discussions Thread #7

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Liam Walsh got a loan at last, though Redknapp is not the ideal manager for a young loanee I'm afraid.

2. longsocks

longsocks Member

Mar 25, 2016
    ChristianSur repped this.
  3. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Sounds quite promising. I wonder if they'll pick up some of the tournaments/games that EuroSport have been passing on.

4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    What a bizarre starting team. TAA, Davies, Abraham, Tomori and Gray should all be starting IMO.

5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Not that I don't rate these players but frankly amazed that TAA, Davies and Abraham are not starting. Then again Boothroyd.

7. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    It would make sense to not include TAA, Davies, Gray and Abraham in favour of Kenny, Cook/Onomah, Lookman and Solanke/Calvert-Lewin if he wants to give lots of U20 WC stand outs a game. But if that was the intention Woodman would surely start ahead of Gunn and probably Tomori over Fry as well.

8. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    I would start Solanke over Abraham personally. Much better link up play.

9. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    Seems like a mindless cloning of the under-20 squad for the sake of it.
    That Calvert-Lewin though, he's got some cool head on his shoulders. How many times now have you seen him get these runs spot on and calmly and clinically find the net every time?
    For Holland unsurprisingly Bergwijn is the danger man - you can expect him to continue to pose problems for Gunn in goal.

10. Manchester21

Manchester21 Member

Manchester City
    England
    Jun 17, 2017
    this team would be so much better with winks and davies in it

11. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Both sides are playing really passively. Individual battles all over the pitch with a lack of structure from either side. When one player is beaten, the whole game suddenly opens up and the back four is just isolated. That's for both sides.

Probably the worst I've seen Kenny or Chilwell play. They're getting no help from midfield so are stuck in no mans land, no getting tight to the wingers or when they do try they're getting beaten cause they're having to force it at the last minute.

12. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  13. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Ended 1-1.

Ultimately it's an ok result because this should be our most challenging fixture.

14. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    1-1 then. Not a bad performance and we were looking pretty comfortable towards the end. Player selection for both the squad and team though could certainly have been improved upon. Why start Solanke ahead of Abraham and Gray that have already played and contributed a lot at this level for a start?

15. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Holland were tough - organised in marking up and assertive defensively - making it hard work for us. A point should do for starters. Let's hope Scotland can scrape something off them next week.

16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I thought the performance was pretty good also, especially thought the second half was better with more control despite really creating that many chances but at least we have players driving from midfield unlike our senior team. Even Cook who was our most defensive midfielder was running with the ball committing players towards him. I thought Onomah was very good and looked really classy on the ball. Gomez was solid in center back and brought the ball out of the back well and seemed to have a pretty good understanding with Fry. I didn't think Lookman had a particularly good game though, just one of those games where nothing seemed to come off for him and everything bounced off him but he keeps on going and when his form comes back, he will be a big asset.

Overall though, thought it was a good test against what I thought was a good Dutch side and when you think it wasn't really our first choice side, RLC and Winks to come back in presumably when fit and also kind of puzzling why Davies, Gray, TAA and Abraham didn't start but really shows the depth we have in this cycle because the players who played instead are also quality players who we wouldn't have been complaining about starting in previous Squads.

17. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Davies shouldn't be starting for this side yet by any stretch. Wouldn't have him in the squad personally.

18. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Really? After his performances in the Premiership?

19. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Would rather he gets to play a major role in the lower age group, has an integral role + position with the U20s cause he's very much just used as a runner for Everton and isn't expected to do much on the ball. It's rare for him to make more than 25 passes a game, he's very much on the periphery of game for them.

I'd have Cook, Onomah, Winks, Loftus-Cheek and potentially others above him for a starting role so think it'd be good for him to not be sat on the bench or used as a supplementary player for England. Being asked to be the big fish in a small pond will be a useful contrast to his Everton + U21 roles.

Ideally he'd go to Toulon and start but that looks unlikely because of the dates and Everton's likely reluctance to release him. Then after next summer we can see if he's ready to start for the U21s.

Rabbi Keane and wellno repped this.
  20. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Nathaniel Clyne is not in Liverpool's Champions League squad which means the Trent AA/Joe Gomez right back rotation in the Liverpool first team should continue for the foreseeable future.

Good for those two, less good for the England senior team's depth at right back if Clyne is facing an extended period on the sidelines with his current back injury.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  21. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    10 changes from the last game. Fair enough that lots of players get a start for the new campaign.

22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  23. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I guess that's a 4-2-3-1 with Cook and Davies behind Palmer? Interested to see if that works. It's not the strongest midfield we could put out but it seems quite balanced.

24. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I'd really like to see an "undroppable" sort of performance from one of the full-backs. Happy with either of them at right-back but I'm slightly concerned that if they don't make an irresistible case for selection we'll get stuck with Holgate out there. Not a bad player but he offers nothing going forward.