England Under 21 Discussions Thread #7

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Had a feeling Rashford wouldn't go but I'm super glad Roberts is being considered and he should be going because he'll impress in training.

2. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Particularly pleased with the midfield options, all players are good in possession. Hope Roberts makes the final squad too

3. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Have I missed something? Why does it say Tammy Abraham ( Bristol City ) and not ( Chelsea )? When all the other loaned out players are assigned to their parent club.

4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    You can guarantee that Woodrow will go, no question about it. There's always a familiar pattern when everyone on here says or thinks a certain way, you can rest assured the FA and coaches will do the opposite.

5. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Mistake I'd guess, probably a copy and paste error from a previous squad

6. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I remember nobody on here wanted Lowe in the squad for 2013 and Forster-Caskey in 2015. Guess this year it'll be Woodrow. My worst nightmare would be if Roberts doesn't make it in order for Woodrow to be included.

7. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    As it transpires, we were all pretty much vindicated when it came to those two.

8. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    To be fair a year ago I was baffled about Stephens always being called up but he's shown his worth for the Saints first team since then. Woodrow on the other hand has already played plenty of club senior football and contributed very little.
    He has zero chance of becoming an international quality player but clearly his face just fits.

There's countless players through the years that have got in the side around under-16 or 17 level and then just kept getting picked through the age groups just because they'd become part of the set up, way beyond the point they showed potential to make it at the top level.
    Lou Reed was good at this kind of thing.

W.A.S.P. and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  9. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

10. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    Sorry Les Reed! I really don't have a high opinion of this guy.....the FA took way too long to fire him.

11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    You're not alone about being baffled about Jack Stephens but am happy he has proved us wrong, been quite impressed with him from what I've seen this season.

12. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Rob Holding was quality today.

13. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I wasn't baffled about Stephens being in squads to start with because he had done well enough when given a chance. But after having two woeful loans (because of a lack of playing time) he should have been dropped for someone else. Then he could have been brought back later in the season.

Problem with England selection is they seem to ignore options and pick others regardless for the sake of a steady consistent squad.

14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  15. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Suspect he was out of contention for the training camp because of injury but was potentially available for the tournament had he recovered, which he's not.

16. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I've only just become aware Sky Sports have the u21 finals.

17. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Looks like Pat Roberts is moving to Celtic permanently : http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...ester-city-sensation-patrick-roberts-10560926

Interesting to see what City to do for homegrown players. They may sell Delph still. That would leave them with Stones & Sterling only. They basically have to sign Walker. Then Diaz, Foden and Sancho have been promoted to the first team.

Suppose they also get around the numbers having young non-homegrown stars Sane and Jesus under 21.

18. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He needs to play in a better league.

19. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I'm retaining a healthy dose of scepticism given that this is the Mirror, but if it's true then I'm very surprised that Guardiola doesn't even want to spend half a season assessing Roberts up-close, or loan him to a Premier League club to see how he gets on. Perhaps this is precisely because he already has Diaz, Sancho, and Foden to back up an increasingly extensive array of high-class senior(ish) forwards and playmakers.

If they are willing to sell him though - and for no more than the price that they bought him for - then surely some other Premier League clubs will enter the fray. Roberts clearly loves Celtic but I'd have thought that he'd be tempted by the chance to prove himself in England. It's not as if he can win any tournaments up there that he hasn't already, nor really progress his career much by staying. How long would he be intending to stay anyway? A year? Still, I guess it seems to be working out ok for Dembélé.

hussar repped this.
  20. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    It would be a terrible move for both Roberts and City in my view. Surely there are bigger teams with more money that would play him.

21. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Absolutely. Roberts would be a good option for almost every Premier League clubs except City, Chelsea, Man Utd and probably Arsenal. It would be a disgrace if Roberts play against League 2 strength opponents week by week.

22. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    RLC out injured, Roberts not in the final squad, Woodrow is...

23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Seriously?? What is Boothroyd doing!!

24. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Roberts is injured, apologies.

Goalkeepers
    Angus Gunn (Manchester City), Jonathan Mitchell (Derby County), Jordan Pickford (Sunderland)
    Defenders
    Calum Chambers (Arsenal), Ben Chilwell (Leicester City), Kortney Hause (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Rob Holding (Arsenal), Mason Holgate (Everton), Dominic Iorfa (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Alfie Mawson (Swansea City), Jack Stephens (Southampton), Matt Targett (Southampton).
    Midfielders
    Lewis Baker (Chelsea), Nathaniel Chalobah (Chelsea), Jack Grealish (Aston Villa), Will Hughes (Derby County), John Swift (Reading), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)
    Forwards
    Tammy Abraham (Chelsea), Demarai Gray (Leicester City), Jacob Murphy (Norwich City), Nathan Redmond (Southampton), Cauley Woodrow (Fulham)