England Under 21 Discussions Thread #7

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Just to be clear, the article that I linked to is two years old, and yes it comes from his dad so it may not reflect DI Jr's feelings.

I just don't think Iorfa's continued selections are justified when we have other right-backs who've missed out - yes, Aina, but also Alexander-Arnold could have been tried out earlier in the season. I don't advocate promoting under-19s to sit on the bench but he might actually have nailed down a starting spot with the under-21s. Plus we have an excess of centre-backs and it's not unlikely that one of them will start at right-back, so Iorfa really ought to be way out on the fringes in light of his performances for England.

2. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  3. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Spain's squad for the Euros. Must be among the favourites with this line-up.

A small point: apparently, Wenger didn't want Bellerin to go and made that very clear. They picked him anyway. Repercussions: almost certainly none. FA, please take note.

4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    A couple of the Spanish selections are also in the recently selected senior squad aswell and will drop down to U21 level again for the tournament. Let's watch what the FA do with Rashford.

5. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The FA have said they want Rashford to be with the U21's. I doubt they'll desperately need him for the Scotland game with Kane, Vardy, Sturridge and Welbeck fit.

6. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Anybody know the deadline to submit the U21 squads to UEFA?

7. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Ten days before the first match.

8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Wouldn't be surprised if the squad is announced tomorrow

9. Ste walker

Ste walker Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    I hope Patrick Roberts gets picked for the squad, looking dangerous for Celtic. One assist so far.

Marcho Gamgee and W.A.S.P. repped this.
  10. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I was wondering if Josh Harrop would get a goal today for Man U. I'm pleased for the lad.

zanyk repped this.
  11. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, I really think he should be included, been outstanding for Celtic. I know it's not the best league in the World but the kids got outrageous ability which should not be ignored. Would be a waste not to take him imo.

Ste walker repped this.
  12. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I just have a gut feeling they won't just because... Knowing just a little bit about his personality I'm confident that he would take the offer if called up.

13. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I keep forgetting Man U have a game tonight (freeview on BT). Big chance for Rashford to up his profile.

14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Not had the best of times so far tonight imo, the young 17 year old has pretty much bossed him.

15. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Squad announced today at some point but I think it's soon as the senior squad is announced at lunchtime

16. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    28-man U21 training camp squad includes Roberts but not Rashford.

Angus Gunn (Manchester City), Jonathan Mitchell (Derby County), Jordan Pickford (Sunderland), Joe Wildsmith (Sheffield Wednesday)

Calum Chambers (Arsenal), Ben Chilwell (Leicester City), Kortney Hause (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Rob Holding (Arsenal), Mason Holgate (Everton), Dominic Iorfa (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Alfie Mawson (Swansea City), Sam McQueen (Southampton), Jack Stephens (Southampton), Matt Targett (Southampton)

Lewis Baker (Chelsea), Nathaniel Chalobah (Chelsea), Jack Grealish (Aston Villa),
    Will Hughes (Derby County), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), John Swift (Reading), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)

Tammy Abraham (Bristol City), Isaiah Brown (Chelsea), Demarai Gray (Leicester City), Jacob Murphy (Norwich City), Nathan Redmond (Southampton), Patrick Roberts (Manchester City), Cauley Woodrow (Fulham)

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  17. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Great to see Paddy in there and deserved imo, just hope he makes the cut

18. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    No Gomez in this squad, no Gomez in the U20 World Cup. Disappointed in that. He must still be a long way off where he was pre injury.

The people's champion Cauley Woodrow still hanging on in there ;)

19. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Finals squad is 23, so if you're cutting five from that squad, who are your five?

I'm expecting Wildsmith, Iorfa, McQueen, Woodrow and one more, which will maybe come down to Brown vs Grealish.

20. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Hause seems to be surplus too with the amount of CBs

21. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    My five would be Mitchell, Hause, McQueen, Murphy and Woodrow. Iorfa will have to go as right back cover considering the squad selected.

22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Would it not be sufficient to have Holgate and Chambers covering right back with Holding, Mawson and Stephens covering Centre half positions along with Chambers who obviously covers both?

23. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    You could but I would prefer a specific full back that offers width on both sides in the squad. Ideally TAA at this point but both Southgate and Boothroyd have screwed around with this position until the very end.

I don't really think we need to drop a defender with the options already selected.

24. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I would be pretty shocked to see Woodrow drop out. I hope he does, but I think Boothroyd will bottle the decision to send him home and will try justify his inclusion as being because he is the only proper lone striker cover.

I'd send home - A Keeper (can't really distinguish between 3rd + 4th), McQueen, Hause, Woodrow, Murphy.

I think it'll be - Keeper, Hause, McQueen, Murphy, Grealish or Swift.

25. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    What is it with the FA and Woodrow? Is he someone's son there? Pick Callum Robinson or someone please!