England Under 21 Discussions Thread #7

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Nov 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I do think it would be a good idea to call someone like Roberts or Lookman up to the u21s now regardless, not least because they might be needed if someone gets injured between now and the end of the season, and it'll be easier to bring them in if they've at least spent a little time with the squad. In Roberts' case, it would also allow the coaches to simply wait and see whether Celtic prevent him from going to the u20 World Cup, and shift him over to the u21 squad if they do.

Then again, Everton's season won't be finished before the WC starts, so it's equally likely that they could be difficult about Lookman. And Izzy Brown will almost certainly be involved with the Championship play-offs too. On reflection, it might not be a bad idea to call a couple of them up to the u21s now and keep our options open.

2. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    After the Scottish season finishes Celtic won't have much of a say in what Roberts does as his loan will expire. The Toulon Tournament starts 9 days after the U20 World Cup, it still clashes with the final of the Championship playoffs, but it is another option on the table for the '97 age group.

3. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    The u20 WC starts before the Scottish season finishes.

4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Unfortunately I think we all know we will go to the U20 World Cup with a severely weakened squad. Great shame!

Celtic will play hard ball with Roberts no doubt and make him miss another Tournament for England despite not really being needed by them plus Rodgers will just keep him on the bench anyway for his own amusement.

5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    If England can't get Roberts to go to the U20 WC when he's been used so scantly this season (c0nsidering how he has played when given a chance). All this whilst at a loan club then we may aswell give up on these tournaments. Time for the FA to get tough, pick him and not back down.

Fair enough if a player is involved in the championship play-offs but I hope ever other 97 option involved goes. It's not as if they have been playing regularly over the course of a season.

6. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I'm not sure the FA can actually do that, can they? I know they can insist for the UEFA tournaments, but I don't think the clubs are obliged to release players for the FIFA ones. I may be wrong.

7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I think it is now but I can't find confirmation at the moment from searching. I'll check up on it tomorrow. Even without the rule other nations have played hardball. With all the talk of a new approach from Ashworth and the prep with U20 players done this seaon. To buckle and lose players again would be abysmal.

8. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We all forget that he wouldn't have gone to the 2013 Euro's if it wasn't for a couple of injuries at the wing positions. He wasn't involved in any of the qualifying games and was due to be called up to the U20s.

9. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    will Tom Davies be called for the u21 ? really like him as a DM / deep CM. good ball retention skills. hopefully Koeman doesn't move him higher up the pitch.

10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I think the midfield positions at this level are already confirmed. So it depends on injuries and what happens in the U19 & U20 squads.

11. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  12. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Brown's there.

I guess that virtually confirms Ward-Prowse, Redmond, and Rashford for the seniors.

EDIT: Cauley ********ing Woodrow though... What does he have on them?

W.A.S.P., The Guardian and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  13. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Calum Chambers missing?
    Solly March impressed me when he's played for Brighton. Think with his qualities he's deserving of a recall.
    Woodrow is there as cover I guess but I would have preferred Akpom.

14. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Still injured.
    Or Sam Gallagher, or Zach Clough. Or nobody, frankly. I would have preferred nobody.

15. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    there's a Woodrow in every cycle. Waghorn and Forster-Caskey spring to mind as similar players. Just lads they plug almost just to fill the holes left by guys the senior team promote prematurely. I'm not even a huge fan but i'd have rather seen Callum Robinson in here. It's a joke if Woodrow gets any minutes, fair enough if he's a body for training, but why waste the playing time on a guy who everyone knows is not going to be a senior international. Isn't that the whole point?

I'm not sure if this is in Ashworth's remit or if it does happen, but it would be nice if the managers of all five sides sat down and discussed their squads with a long term view as to what they were trying to achieve so it didn't seem so random.

16. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

17. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    It would be interesting to listen into one of these conversations. It feels as if it is either down to lazy selection policy or a value on some type of team morale. Meaning having players that wont complain much about turning up with no hope of making the pitch. It's a shame because there are quite a few options that don't even get a squad call because of this.

18. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Loftus-Cheek in then - I thought he was missing presumed dead.

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    This is quite interesting with the finals coming up -

20. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    IMG_2604.PNG

German squad to face us

21. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Some good midfielders in that list. Arnold and Meyer have been regulars for Wolfsburg and Schalke for years.

22. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Akpom has disappeared from England's books it looks like.

Seems like Woodraw is in line to our Jason Lowe and Jake Forster-Caskey this campaign.

23. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Don't forget about Gnabry and Goretzka plus Selke up front.

24. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Akpom has 3 goals in 63 league games at professional level. Stats aren't everything of course and there's various reasons for it, but that's a pretty horrendous record if you ask me. For what it's worth, Woodrow has matched that total in 8 games on loan at Burton this season.

hussar repped this.
  25. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC