England Under 15 Discussion Thread #1 (2009 born)

Discussion in 'England' started by zanyk, Mar 17, 2015.

1. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Forgive me if I've missed a joke, but "only" clearly means "to the exclusion of other teams", not "to the exclusion of other senses".

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  2. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Ah! Right! I gave the word "them" the wrong intonation.

I wouldn't avoid writing about what you do know because of what you don't know (about the players of other clubs).

3. zanyk

zanyk Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    #103 zanyk, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    Yeah but I prefer healthy discussion about players from every club than self-praising players of your own club.

It's actually quite easy to shortlist United players with a chance to be called up by England since only schoolboy scholars are considered (being scholar is an indication of whether you're rated at United unless you're late developer like Lingard).There are only 4 2000 born scholars at United (Gomes,Levitt,Campbell and Brandon Williams) and Levitt is Welsh so whatever the case you won't see more than 3 United players in England U16s squad next season though there are some other quite talented lads.Most likely only Gomes since Williams just back from a 6 month long injury and might be too small for a defender.Campbell got good reviews from people who watched him but hard to say about GKs at this age.

For United 2001 Garner,Greenwood,Laird,Helm,Hockerhull and Djalo are those in contention based on the above criteria but not sure if Djalo lived in England long enough to be eligible so it's the other 5, most likely the first 3.

Would predict a healthy number of City lads though (for England U16s next season that is) and Arsenal seems to have a strong 2000 crop as well?

4. SirWellingtonSilva

May 30, 2011
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #104 SirWellingtonSilva, Jun 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
    Do you think that's the reason? I'm finding it curious why a minority is making up a majority quite frequently in youth teams. This is just my impression though, wonder if there are any statistics about the demographics in youth football? I'd guess not.

5. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's not just with us, happens with other countries too. For example most of the Switzerland team seems to be from Yugoslavia. Obviously you look at France and they're nearly all African. Couple of reasons I can think of - due to money they don't have many things to do other than player football, and maybe they are more driven to succeed.

IGSpur repped this.
  6. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    There are two main reasons. It's partly that people of West African descent (not blacks as a whole) generally have more fast-twitch fibres in their muscles, and partly because black lads disproportionately come from the more disadvantaged parts of the country where kids are still out playing footie till it gets dark. I think that's why it's positions like striker, winger and FB that are disproportionately black in England, while CMs, CBs and GKs are much more representative.

dbs235 repped this.
  7. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I look into it every now and then before inevitably getting distracted by other stuff but it is a very interesting discussion to have simply because it's a very prevalent and noticeable thing (quite clearly at Chelsea and in London/South East but increasingly across every club at young age groups). There are a whole host of social, historical, genealogical, physical and psychological factors involved that I want to get into at some point but it's the sort of subject I'd need to invest time and research into and haven't got that right now!

8. zanyk

zanyk Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    No offence to the mentioned clubs but too many times I've seen academy sides from Chelsea,Reading,WBA etc with mostly (sometimes everyone) youngsters of African descent and have to wonder if it's intentional during the recruitment process.

9. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I don't doubt that it might be (for example, I know Brentford place quite an emphasis on athletic prowess (not always at the expense of technical ability, clearly, and it's kinda obvious looking at their sides) but when there's an increasing population of second/third generation Afro-Caribbean people in your catchment area that's going to have a significant impact on the diversity of your academy intake.

10. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, you can only do what you can do. Don't beat yourself up about it. You don't need to "self praise players" from your club. Just give a fair balanced view. Some might say bigging up too much the talents of 13/14 year olds might not be such a good idea anyway.

As I suggest, feel free to speak about what you know and leave it to other members to chat about players at other clubs - if they have anything to say on the matter.

11. IGSpur

IGSpur Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    I missed this discussion, but I do look into it as I generally find race discussions interesting. I generally believe that everyone regardless of race can learn to do things as well each other if everyone has a level playing field, however there are some differences. As someone mentioned West Africans have fast twitch fibres and West Indians are naturally in better physical conditions stemming from Slavery and artificial selection. Therefore any skill or technical ability learned will be enhanced by any edge they have on pace and strength. That is one reason.

The second and accompanying reason, is related to the socioeconomics of most countries. Ethnic minorities will large make up a high percentage of poorer neighborhoods, and I believe do not get the same opportunities as other people in general jobs or find it harder. Therefore football and seeing other black footballers being successful, is seen as a more attainable way of getting a job that pays well. As more black players see it as a viable opportunity more will be successful due to sheer numbers playing the game which again encourages the younger generation, I believe this may be a self-fulfilling prophecy. Compare to players from a better socioeconomic background, generally white players, they will have a greater opportunity to succeed elsewhere and so their lives do not hinge on whether or not they make it in football.

Similarly to the last paragraph I think, there are a combinaiton of reasons why the 2nd largest population in Britain are rarely seen in football and that is of course the Asian population. As I mentioned I believe everyone has a blank slate and if the same time and attention is given to the same people they can generally achieve the same things. In my area at basic grassroots levels, when you go Power League etc the Asian players are of a very high standard, however the lack of them in the professional game is a untapped source. When the first people immigrated from the sub-continent the families had a very work orientated mindset. Many of my friends studied to become doctors or accountants at my school and went onto uni. This is a culture thing, and I have known my friends to say that they need to focus on their work and so any aspirations to become footballers would not be encouraged by their families and so the children don't see it as a viable opportunity. The smaller pool to choose from the less make it. That leads to less in the professional game, and similar to black children, when Asian players see that there are not many in the game it further decreases their incentive to try and make it. This also has a knock on effect with coaching as naturally people form stereotypes that asian players may not be as good and when there are three children trialing one black, one white and one asian, even if they are of a similar ability, I believe coaches will be influenced by stereotypes and believe the first two are better leading to a selection.

This is why I think players like Yan Dhanda are held in such high esteem as they are seen as an opportunity for Asian players to break through that barrier to potentially increase the numebrs in the game. Like when clubs only selected players born between Sept and Feb we were missing out a whole pool of talented players, hopefully that changes with Asian players. I know Spurs have one in their u14s going to u15s and one who will be a first year scholar next year who looks good, so I hope things may be changing.

I personally think the positions in the team still suffer from stereotypes. You have noticed that the winger,FB and striker position are taking up mostly by black players obviously down to the perceived need for quick and strong players there, which isn't always the case. However, you would think with the sheer number of black/mixed race players that there would be more central in the more cognitive positions AM/CM/DM but there just aren't many at all. I think similar to the NFL, back in the day especially, they were finding why there were a disproportionate number of black QBs compared to the rest of the field, and I still think even in football there is still the case where, black creative players aren't encouraged, whether it is because it is believed they can't play there I don't know but it is strange. Like I said I think everyone is a blank slate and they can play somewhere if encouraged. Maybe being quick ends up being a disadvantage as they get pushed towards the wings to utilise it , or lump the big ones up front to use their strength, but it something I have noticed and clearly others have too.

Anyway these were just theories and apologise for the long post I just find the subject interesting.

Rabbi Keane repped this.
  12. IGSpur

IGSpur Member

Apr 14, 2015
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
  13. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    US U15's are coming to England between August 11-20 to play some games. Maybe this might be a tournament at St George's to take the place of the CONCACAF U15 tournament.

15. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Believe there is some sort of trial camp & there are 3 2001's from Forest.

#4 CM : Brennan Johnson (son of David Johnson)
    #10 : Ethan Dekel
    WF/CF: Arvin Appiah

Also saw a Nick from Birmingham going to.

zXen repped this.
  16. zanyk

zanyk Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Weird to have the trial camp around the timing of MU Premier Cup.I guess nobody from United can go (plus the other team from England, is it Arsenal?) unless someone from the U14s was picked.

17. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I must admit, I haven't heard this from my usual source but it does come from a fairly connected one with our 15s and 16s. Our 15s are quite highly thought of & along with those 3 above there are 3 2000's who are quite decent in the 15s & they did quite well in the u14 National Cup last season being unlucky in their defeat to Man City in the QF's.

What I know about the above 3.

Brennan Johnson : A good mover and passer. Not a carrier of the ball & his position doesn't necessarily need that. Also very good at taking set-pieces. His father is an ex-Jamaican international.

Ethan Dekel : Is an u14. Very diminutive , very skillful & full of tricks. Due to size doesn't cover the ground a lot yet but that will come in time. Plays up 1 or 2 years. Israeli roots.

Arvin Appiah : Loves playing down the right even though left-footed but also plays through the centre. Loves a step-over and a good finisher. Always played 1 or 2 years up like Dekel. Ghanian/Dutch roots.

zXen and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  18. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  19. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I've not heard anything unless I missed it but I wonder if Taylor Richards has been called up to this camp. I have heard that this kid has some serious talent

20. zanyk

zanyk Member

Mar 1, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He's 2000 born so U16s.

21. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC

621052411726163969 is not a valid tweet id

22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Aha, thats probably why then, I just persumed because he's 14 he was U15.

23. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Joe Lilley of Sunderland also in.

24. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    As is Chelsea's Kit Elliott.

25. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Just out of interest - are these the year below what will be the u16s once the season gets underway?