England U-20 Discussions Thread (2004 born)

Discussion in 'England' started by Jenks, Apr 4, 2015.

1. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Plus Rice and Dier may well end up back at centre back one day.

2. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I think there are genuine question marks surrounding how to develop defenders and it's still very much an imperfect science compared to other positions. One main issue is you're relying on players being big enough and then it's compounded by a complete lack of pathways. Things are improving though. Chelsea are the only big club who seemingly roll out very good academy centre halves each year. Everyone else is much spottier, but it's getting better.

It's similar to the midfielder question, which has been pretty emphatically solved now. It looks bad because we're comparing our 97s/96s v Germany's, but we were never that deep in them age groups and it's always been an increasing trickle of talent before the 2000s completely open the damn. The perfect example of this is Spurs v Barcelona in the UYL. Just dominated the ball and they didn't even have that many England players or people who are thought of to be elite prospects. That's increasingly the norm and as these players filter down the leagues, not necessarily becoming senior international players, it'll be interesting to see how that impacts the standard player type lower down.

3. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Ronnie V with another start in Italy tonight.

4. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Another start for RV today.

5. ESBFC123

ESBFC123 Member

Barnsley FC
    England
    Jan 19, 2019
    Just a general comment i suppose - I'm suprised tbh at some of the decisions not to call up certain players this season that were at one point / are playing regular first team football in league one. Josh Maja, Nathan Bishop, Mallik Wilks, Herbie Kane, Luke Thomas, James Justin, Dujon Sterling, Tom Bayliss and Jacob Brown are some options that spring to mind.

hussar and David Hurford repped this.
  6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    yeah, to be honest I think a few guys have been extremely lucky to be in the latest squad after having pretty much nothing seasons. If I’m going to name check then I guess Suliman and Hirst spring to mind. I get that they want to be loyal to players but when some are hardly playing and others who are just off form are getting picked then it feels a bit strange tbh. I don’t really get why others aren’t given a look in. Josh Maja is someone I would have liked Simpson to have called up for example.

ESBFC123 repped this.
  7. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I wonder how much of an impact it's been that L1 and L2 clubs need three players called up for internationals in order for their fixtures to be postponed during those periods, so they might have requested for players to not be called up?

ESBFC123 repped this.
  8. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I wonder if there's room for a few new players to freshen this age group up.

ESBFC123 repped this.
  9. ESBFC123 and David Hurford repped this.
  10. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    Seems odd charlie brown of chelsea is yet to recieve a call up at any age. All-time uefa youth league scorer isnt to be sniffed at. Another poachers effort today v barca

ESBFC123 repped this.
  11. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I've been banging the drum for a while, all the while recognising there are some very capable 99-born strikers around (Nketiah, Brereton, Hirst etc), but it's not even about the UYL either, loading up against Molde and Elfsborg isn't what makes him good. He's really progressed each and every season and scores goals at every turn. At some point you have to acknowledge that not many players do that, regardless of age level, and give him a longer look.

David Hurford repped this.
  12. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    I find it strange that he has never been picked up - even at Ipswich he was in an age group which has seen Dozzell, Downes, Nydam, Morris and Nick Hayes called up and was playing up age groups consistently so shouldn't even have been under the radar before he moved to a club who fills the youth teams.

David Hurford repped this.
  13. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Andre Dozzell scored today, at the end of a flowing move also involving Trevoh Chalobah and Flynn Downes (who scored his first senior goal today)

David Hurford and Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    1126792475950157824 is not a valid tweet id

15. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Is the squad for the Toulon tournament likely to be made up entirely of our regular u20 squad or are we likely to see a few players who might be on the fringes of the u21s?

16. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Mainly U20s with some U19s. Also wonder if they're tempted to push up some of the best U18s who aren't playing next week.

A chance a couple of U21s are in there, but can't think of many names they seem to care about enough to include.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  17. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I just get the feeling that this group needs freshening up a bit.

Names that spring to mind: Skipp, Smith Rowe, Gibbs White, Shackleton, Gomes, Garner, Greenwood, Clarke, Gallagher. Some of those names might be a bit fanciful on my part.

Anyone else with a strong claim?

18. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Get Nmecha in there. Keep him involved.

19. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Is the squad for the Toulon tournament announced today?

20. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Any chance Greenwood and Garner get in this squad?

21. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    It’s a possibility considering they weren’t included in the u18 squad.

22. ESBFC123

ESBFC123 Member

Barnsley FC
    England
    Jan 19, 2019
    Didn't see Maja play up up close because he'd already left by the time we played Sunderland at home. But he was doing so well for them before he left.
    Kane was superb for Doncaster when they played us at home. Similarly, Bayliss,Thomas and Sterling were all great for Coventry when we played them at home.
    Meanwhile, Jacob Brown has been solid for us this season just gone. Put in some great performances.

Yeah I get what you're saying. I can understand loyalty but only up to a point, after which it can become detrimental to the progression of the group I feel.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  23. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  24. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    That's brilliant, showing every single knockout game. They've got the Toulon Tournament on there too.

25. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Speaking of the Toulon Tournament... any idea who’s made the squad? It starts next weekend.