England U-20 Discussions Thread (2004 born)

Discussion in 'England' started by Jenks, Apr 4, 2015.

1. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I'm fairly sure he signed a new deal before Christmas, would surely take a bigger deal than that to get him, especially with Bruce being such a good fan. Unless Villa have just screwed themselves over financially or something.

O'Hare, Grealish, Davis + Green is a nice little group Villa have. Will be a shame if they let it break up too easily. More coming through below that too.

2. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    It feels like a lot of clubs have a really decent group coming through, just hoping as always more opportunities are given as there is some talent out there and I've watched a lot of Championship footy this year and can't say I've seen any youngster look far out of their depth

hussar repped this.
  3. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Could you mention a few of them you saw who are under the radar a bit?

4. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    I'm not sure on where the radar is, as most on here are much more informed than me - but following players have impressed me in no particular order....

Forest - Ben Brereton, Joe Worrall, Jordan Smith who are all regulars. I don't think Tyler Walker has played that much but looked a real nuisance and scored a good goal at Portman Road

Hull - Max Clark looked very comfortable when I saw him, Jarrod Bowen deserves a call up to a youth squad as has a real edge to his game

Norwich - Pains me to say but James Maddison is excellent, really disciplined in a really tough role for a youngster in a team that isn't creating much, will be in the PL next year. Angus Gunn been a good presence and not had any really bad games in first taste of senior footy

Bristol City - Think hes a bit older but Bobby Reid been fantastic, another clever player

Preston - Josh Earl has slotted comfortably into a good defence, not looked overrawed

Villa - As mentioned previously, O'Hare, Davis, Green all have looked good when playing. All making positive contributions when coming on as subs and whilst Davis has lacked goals he's led the line in a way that is way above his years.

Not all of these will be internationals, but these are in the main players that have been at Category 2 academies, that aren't the big names of the England youth teams but have stepped into what is a tough league without missing a beat. Hopefully it will ensure more managers trust those in their clubs, that can not only save them a lot of money on wages whilst not lowering the quality but potentially earn them a lot in transfer fees and keep the pipeline flowing

5. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    #1630 hussar, Jan 9, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
    Thanks. I saw a few of them myself but not all of them. However just saw Bristol City against Man City, and looked like a really good team to watch: Bryan, Paterson, Brownhill just like Reid, not especially young, but played without fear and looked like talented players. Also Walsh who came on later, played his part. At this rate Lee Johnson and some of his players will be in the Prem sooner or later.

6. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Oxford's young English fleet is getting bigger and bigger, now Buckley-Ricketts joins on loan.

7. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What do you think of Ronaldo Viera at Leeds? Apart from the fact he has a terrific name.

8. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    I've not seen enough of him live to really judge, but he absolutely dominated an u18 game against us a few years back so have always kept an eye out for him and his name lends to that!

9. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Marcus Edwards on loan at Norwich.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Think that's a good move. From an England Youth point of view Norwich are a team I will try and watch with Gunn, Maddison and now Edwards there.

11. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Yep. Also there is a midfielder from the Norwich academy called Todd Cantwell. He is 1998 born, and was on the bench a few times, and according to Canaries fans he is a talent as well.

12. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC

A little bit worrying if it's true and he's not even kicked a ball for them yet.

13. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Sounds as if the little fella needs a kick up the arse.

14. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    The full quotes give a slightly more nuanced/less discouraging impression:

15. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    To be honest I've thought for awhile he gives off that kind of impression.

16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Also when you listen to him, it also doesn't seem quite as bad.

17. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just goes to prove that you can have all the skill in the world but if your attitude does not match your talent you can only go so far in the game, because i think Edwards career is at the tipping point, because he can either go down the Morrison or the Kane route, and i am betting he goes down the Morrison route of unfulfilled potential.

18. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I would have thought the Spurs manager might well have said to the loan manager that the lad needs a good shake (for his own good). Sherwood prematurely singing his praises in the media, may not have helped.

19. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    957348023931166720 is not a valid tweet id

ChristianSur repped this.
  20. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I see Edwards still can't get into the Norwich Squad. Not sure what's going on but him not playing football is surely not good and presumably not what Spurs had in mind.

21. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  22. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    Reece Oxford will need to improve his passing quite dramatically if he's going to make it at the top level based on this showing.

23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Only saw parts of the second half but he could and maybe should have been sent off for a second booking but he got away with it. Doesn't look like a right back to me though.

24. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    You know who is, though? Egbo. On the bench for them again today.

25. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    I don't know how high Jacob Davenport is rated, but it seems like he's doing well in the Championship:

966232452917112832 is not a valid tweet id