England U-20 Discussions Thread (2004 born)

Discussion in 'England' started by Jenks, Apr 4, 2015.

1. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The ref missed that Moroccan player block the free kick which led to the save that was the best thing Wilson had done al day long.

2. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    3-3 FT a truly bizarre game.

Hopefully Boothroyd learns from this and starts Hayden, Odubajo, Reed and Akpom next match.
    Wilson should miss out for Akpom, he was disappointing and Akpom looked very lively even without the goal.

There's a decent team in there, so much attacking threat and midfield is not bad. Just need the back four to not be a complete shambles.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  3. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I'm not certain that he did. With a game against Ivory Coast so close to this one the plan might have been to mix it up for this one. Who knows though.

4. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Also a good footballer too, just so happens his work rate and winning the ball takes all the limelight. I have heard some peeps say they cant see him as a senior England International but I disagree, I think we need someone like him with the seniors in a few years time and I would have had him in the U21's this time round.

5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah true but I just thought you would want to give yourself the best chance to get off to a winning start rather than experiment and mix it up a bit but hey ho, everyone is different and like you say, who knows.

Ps: I thought the lad from Brentford did well also when he came on in the second half.

6. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    What an utterly abysmal, ungainly, dull-witted shambles at the back.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  7. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Has anyone seen much of Baily Cargill? Im just curious as I missed the first half and then he got hauled off but just looking at his clubs, Totton, Welling and Torquay all on loan from Bournmouth which doesnt bold well for a long term prospect at International level with all due respect. Im just curious as how he got in as we must have other players of the same year that have been playing higher standard of football surely?

8. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Iorfa seemed to be suffering from brain damage. All he needed to do was kick the ball away with his left foot - instead of course he prodded it with his "good foot" and fell over like a four year old.

dbs235 repped this.
  9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    His starting position was pretty poor also! In fact the entire defensive line was all over the place for that third goal, it seemed like they didnt know whether to push up or drop back and then they didnt do either!

10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Aidy Boothroyd (England head coach) : "We have got a lot of work"

"I didn't expect a spectacular game like that I think once we scored we relaxed mentally and you can't do that against any team, especially against a good team like Morocco, who have proved that it can turn over some good teams. I was pleased with the end, although when I will wake up tomorrow morning, I will be thinking we have got a lot of work to do to improve."

http://www.festival-foot-espoirs.com/news_detail_festival_foot.php?news_id=958

11. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Odubajo being linked to Everton. He showed some of his quality yesterday, hopefully starting from now on. As I said, he's unlucky not to be in the U21s, it's only because 23 year old Jenkinson is in there plus Chambers, also both Dier and Stones can cover RB as well, overloaded on RBs in that age group.

12. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I don't think U21 level has been overloaded with right backs. Chambers has only got two caps, Stones has played CB and Dier even pulled out of the squads because he didn't want to play right back. Not to mention that Jenkinson wasn't even being picked at the start of the campaign. There has been more than enough opportunities to give regular championship full backs at least a call up to prove their worth.

13. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Akpom's goal helped to clear some of the horror of what went on before (from one's mind). It will also, presumably, be a big boost to the lad himself. Let's hope he can rattle in some more before he goes home.

14. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The current U21 squad for the final is definitely overloaded with RBs. Chambers only has 2 caps as he was also getting called up to the senior squad. Jenkinson was always likely to get moved down, although as I said elsewhere would rather this didn't happen so there was space for someone like Odubajo. Stones has played CB but as I said can also cover RB, even if it's not his best spot. Dier did not drop out of the U21 squads due to playing at RB, he dropped out as he wanted to do extra training at Tottenham to force his way into the first team, something that paid off - and mainly at RB.

I also forgot Liam Moore, another one that covers RB. Then there's Andre Wisdom who has spent the whole season at RB for West Brom (when played), also Jon Flanagan until he was injured. That's a ridiculous number of RB capable players for one age group, and that's just the Prem level ones.

15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Most of those mentioned above are centre backs that are being converted to right back though. My point was that if Odubajo has been unlucky not to get into the U21's I don't think it's been because of the options. It's because of a poor selection process.

Stones has been our number one centre back at U21 level for so long now that he can't be considered a right back option as he will always be playing CB.
    Flanagan has been injured all campaign and never been capped by Southgate.
    Whatever reason for Dier pulling out it gave an opportunity for someone else to get a chance. That wasn't given to anyone though.
    Chambers got over promoted because of his Arsenal move but you have to think that starting in the Toulon as a centre back would have been better for him than bench warming at U21 level. We've got too many centre back options in the U21 squad rather than right backs.
    Wisdom was dropped very early on after his red card and never seen again either.

I don't know whether it is solely Boothroyd who thinks Odubajo is worthy of senior involvement in the future but if Southgate does then why was he ignored all season? That is what puzzles me about Odubajo's inclusion in this squad.

16. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    If memory serves Dier pulled out of the U21 squad because he wanted to concentrate on training for a centre back spot at Spurs while he would probably have been playing at RB for the U21s. We do have a worrying habit of sticking right-footed CBs at RB instead of training some shorter, faster and more technical RBs like we do at LB.

17. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    My memory may be deceiving me but I think we were starting Michael Keane at right back as far into the campaign as the play-off game against Croatia.

18. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    No, your right Keane did start at right back against someone quite recently as I remember wtf! I think it could have been either the Portugal or France friendly games though but not sure

19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I've just gone back to check and Keane actually started at right back four times during this campaign. Most recently last November in the friendly against France and also in the play off home leg against Croatia.

20. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I would definitely agree with you that too many times English CBs get shunted out to RB, particularly at the expense of promoting someone who's actually a natural fullback. In fairness it can be a safe position for a young defender to learn how to be part of a back 4 without every defensive mistake being as costly as when they're in the middle.

21. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Yes, you're right.

Some quotes from Southgate at the time:

"Long term we both agree that he is unlikely to be a full-back and is going to be a centre-half. Without wishing Mauricio a problem, I think I agree with that so we said he will stay [with Spurs]."

[...]

"He wants to start establishing himself as a centre-back at Tottenham in the medium term and there will be a benefit to that working on it in these periods."

22. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    It's important to remember that Odubajo was only converted to right back in November for the first time in his career so he's hardly been there all along. How would it have been better of Odubajo to go sit on the bench for the U21s all summer? It's much more sensible to have a first choice right back and then have a centre back who can cover there as second choice, especially when there's a chance to give Odubajo a chance for proper minutes at Toulon.

This experimental Toulon opportunity is the perfect place to test out Odubajo's abilities, my only issue is that he needs to be starting.

23. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Given the impact he made in the last game, even out of position on the left, he should be.

24. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I never said he should have gone with the U21's. We had U21 squads this year when we were short on full backs and none were called up even after injury pull outs. If Southgate rates (still unsure if he does) him I would query why he didn't give him a chance. if Jenkinson had got injured then there's a perfect opportunity for someone.

25. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Can't say I blame Southgate for not calling him up, first season in the Championship, converted winger and always other options. Brentford were also a bit inconsistent in their form, and it was the attacking mids who were their main attacking outlets. Toulon is a good place for him, tournament and international experience and not just sitting on the bench watching.