England U-20 Discussions Thread (2004 born)

Discussion in 'England' started by Jenks, Apr 4, 2015.

1. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Thought that was a really good game, scoreline should have been more comfortable though!

Video ref was a joke, you could tell it wasn't definitely deliberate from first view and still took ages.

The goal was excellent and Kenny was brilliant all game, need a left footer on the left for next game though

2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    That was a very professional display. We were poor in the final third way too often but the composure elsewhere on the pitch and team structure was so much better compared to that woeful previous game. Still our final ball and finishing will have to be better. Even the goal looked like a keeper error on second viewing.

3. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    What were Eurosport playing at? I kept setting it up to record and it kept "losing it". And with constant checkings only saw the second half.

Nice goal. And I'll say it again: you can't beat the "pull back" to out-fox a defence. More weak finishing (a bit) like last time though. That could (and should) have been three wins, with no goals conceded.

4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    So we will play a third place team from groups C, D or E on Wednesday 31st May 2017 at 12 noon BST.

5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Thought it was a really good performance from the team, thought the central midfield was excellent with Ejario & Onomah working so well together and very composed. Even though Barry is right final third let us down but I felt like every attack we could or should have scored, Lookman hit the post twice and better touch or final ball could have resulted in a much more convincing score line. But hey, very encouraging performance imo.

6. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Hopefully we manage to avoid Italy and Portugal in the Round of 16, getting one of the third placed teams is a bit of a lottery. Vietnam would be nice.

The potential quarter final tie looks decent. It'll be Mexico or one of the teams from Group F, which looks to lack stand outs. France look set to be in our half of the draw and would be the most likely semi final opponents. Uruguay should be in the other half and are Korea's prospective quarter final opponents.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  7. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Very encouraging performance. One we can build on.

The early substitution pushed Onomah a little deeper and it looks like Ejaria allowed him to play a bit more of his natural game.

A lot were really good today but probably giving MOM to Kenny.

PS wonder what the future holds for Dowell ? It looks like it will be difficult to break into the Everton team. A loan may be what happens next season for him but even long term there seems a lot of competition with Koeman wanted to add central players. He said even Barkley stayed he wanted to get competition for him.

8. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    When i turned it on about 12.20pm, the programme still hadn't 'started' and wasn't scheduled to until after 1pm - clear scheduling error which would have messed up any recording

9. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Fortunately I kept checking it. And "re-recorded" it each time it was lost.

10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  11. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I thought Kenny had a poor tournament up until he made the assist for the goal. His first touches were abismal, but he turned it round in the second half. This was our best game by far and it says something to hold off a talented South Korea in their backyard. TBF they didn't start Lee Sung-Woo and a player who had two goals in the tournament.

For the next game I'd replace AMN with Cook and get Connelly in for Walker-Peters because we need a left footed leftback. Dowell is a must start up front as well.

12. Tima

Tima Member

Oct 3, 2006
    Cambridge
    You are entitled to your own opinion but he has been awarded man of the match in both the games he has played!

Crvena Zvezda and zXen repped this.
  13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Connelly just doesn't do it for me, just find him to slow unfortunately and at this level he's likely to get skinned.
    Walker-Peters has the pace to cover even though it's not his natural position.

Thought Kenny had a slow start today but grew into the game and was exceptional in the second half especially.

14. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I actually rate Kenny as a RB because he's been solid never since I've seen him with the U17s. I thought he was poor in the prior two games because he could do much better and in the second half he earned the MOTM with his overlapping runs and decent defending.

15. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  16. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    Agreed Kenny had a blinder today and I thought he was one of our better players in the first 2 games, sure he hit the wrong side of the post last match but he's no striker.
    Connolly has been disappointing and I don't think he performed well on his loan to Wigan.
    Generally Everton seem to do a great job developing players, in that they seem to really improve or continue their progress well whilst there, which doesn't happen so much at other clubs.

17. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Having both Eyoma and Onomah in the center (with Dowell and Lookman around ) completely changed the team, we looked much better in the build up. wonder why we didn't do it earlier but better late than never. I'd keep the same line up for the next game.

18. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    I meant Ejaria not Eyoma...

19. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    He was my mom yesterday, need to keep him in the team if we're going to progress.

20. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Engalnd vs Costa Rica is the confirmed round of 16 tie. Costa Rica beat the already qualified Zambia to get through. The only other teams they've beaten in competitive matches this season are Bermuda and Trinidad.

21. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah me too.

22. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    But replace AMI with Cook. It'll definitely be a balanced midfield.

23. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Has anybody seen Costa Rica play in the tournament? What are they like?

24. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Jenks and W.A.S.P. repped this.
  25. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Costa Rica won't have their captain who was suspended by getting two yellow cards.