England U-20 Discussions Thread (2004 born)

Discussion in 'England' started by Jenks, Apr 4, 2015.

1. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    It looked like the senior team in an international tournament, bereft of ideas and just needlessly losing possession time and time again. I was only half watching it as working, but Clarke-Salter looked to have a good game whereas both full backs got in good positions but didn't do anything with it.

Maitland-Niles seemed so hamstrung by the role he was playing.

2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neither team really showed enough composure in the final third to win the game but we could have easily been on the verge of being knocked out after that. We lost the plot after conceding for a large spell. A better team would have made us pay.

3. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    #1053 BarryfromEastenders, May 23, 2017
    Last edited: May 23, 2017
    Would have been interesting to have seen someone like Konso play as DM because the midfield has struggled in both games with their positioning. Would provide more licence for an Onomah or Maitland -Niles. I don't think we can play Armstrong and Solanke at the same time with this squad.

4. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    can't say I'm surprised, the technical level is too poor. Ignoring Crowley was a bit farcical. Not that he would fix everything but alongside Dowell Onomah or Ejaria the team would be much better.

5. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I wonder if any coach has ever told Kenny, when in that position make certain you shoot on the correct side of the ********ing near post. The number of time players kick it into the side netting, and then look shocked.

We really should have scored a few goals today. The finishing was poor. The Ojo miss was one of the poorest. And how long can they persist with Solanke with him doing so little to warrant a place.

6. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    South Korea have beaten Argentina 2-1 and it would now require a really calamitous set of results in the last round of fixtures for England not to get through in the top two.

It feels crass to suggest it, but news of the terrorist attack would have broken just as people were waking up in Korea and would have developed throughout the day in the lead up to the game. I'd be surprised if it didn't effect the state of mind and the concentration levels of the players.

7. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Doubt it, it really is a football issue IMO.

8. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    It can be both.

9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Didn't see the game unfortunately as was at work but saw the own goal! How on earth did that even happen? Only us ( England ) seem to be capable of shooting our selves in the foot like that.

10. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    Yes I only saw the highlights but that was an OG to remember, I'm sure we are through regardless so can laugh about it but still.......o_O
    Tomori to blame clearly in that he should have looked and Henderson could do nothing from the position he was in but what exactly was he doing in that position...... patching some turf back in place or something?

11. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Pretty poor game all-around and it's amazing we haven't conceded a goal by the other team scoring yet. I thought Cook's goal was a bit lucky because of the keeper and what can you say about the OG? That's on Tomori.

We need two holding midfielders instead of just Cook and AMN/Onomah. For the next game Onomah should be back in a CAM role and start either Armstrong or Solanke up front. Bring back Dowell and DCL. Kenny should be replaced by Walker-Peters but I doubt it.

The Korea game will feel like a traditional World Cup atmosphere so hopefully the players don't get rattled.

12. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If we finish second then our chacnes aren't bad of winning some knockout games. Unless Guniea scored several goals and we lose then we still have a good chance of qualifying in the third place group. For me I think we should try and beat Korea because they are beatable, albeit a good side with a strong home suppport.

13. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    France got another thumping victory today , though the goalkeeper was Dung :laugh:
    I think Augustin could be player of the tournament, he did so well for PSG in the Uefa youth champions league a couple of years ago.......like a one man team.

14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Game today is on Eurosport 2 and kick off is 13:00 CET

15. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    What time is that in the UK?

16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    12 pm :)

itfcjoe repped this.
  17. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  18. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Interesting team selection, defense picks itself but after that I'm not sure how it's gonna look, 4-4-2 with diamond formation? Lookman & Calvert-Lewin leading the line, Dowell in the number 10 Role with Onomah, Ejaria and Maitland-Niles as midfield three?

19. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    This side needs a left footed full back and have since the u17s. Jay DaSilva being held back has always screwed them over. Plus Rico Henry never staying fit. Just ruins anything being worked up that side.

It's a problem the English sides always have, they just shove anyone in at fullback.

20. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Actually playing pretty well and it's amazing what happens with a more compact midfield. Wasted a few chances though.

21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Maitland-Niles off injured, replaced by Solanke.

22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Lookman hit the post when should have scored. Not managed to see minute by minute but watched most of the game so and we have been the better side

23. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    1-0 Dowell!!! Well deserved goal imo, been the better side. Should have been two or three up to be fair.

24. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    The video review is still too time consuming. I don't see why they can't do it on the big screens like in rugby.

And the Korean guy gets away with the stamp anyway.

25. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Jenks and Marcho Gamgee repped this.