England U-20 Discussions Thread (2004 born)

Discussion in 'England' started by Jenks, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    Looking back at that squad they are all doing alright for themselves still. I never rated Moore much and I don't think the German move is going to work out for Egbo but the rest all have a decent chance of making Premier league players and hopefully potential internationals.

2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    This group imo was never one that attempted to control games. More direct in their play and approach. Add to that that we had to change coaches and lost a player in Roberts that offered control in phases of play. Also Roberts' ability to draw opponents towards him always created space for others to exploit.

I think this might be our style primarily for the tournament. Maybe not to the scale in this game but I expect Korea to dominate the ball and for us to attempt to sit in a tight block and counter.

3. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Simpson's goal celebrations are pretty epic too :)

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  4. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Egbo's making pretty solid progress, he spent almost all of his first year injured so that has to be taken into account. Wouldn't be surprised if he debuts next season.

5. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    Well I've not seen anything we need to worry much about from the other teams in the tournament so far, our group looks by far the toughest. All the European teams seem to have sent fairly weak squads and got beat. The exception may be France who I think play tomorrow and have some talented players with a lot of first team club experience such as like Augustin, Diop and the superbly named Jeando Fuchs!

BarryfromEastenders repped this.
  6. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Indeed. Four European teams have played so far and we're the only one's to have won. It's a shame that Portugal that send a stronger squad cause they got quality.

7. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Argentina looked very sharp from the start and with a lot of passing options. We didn't. The lack of options seemed to make us anxious and error prone. But of course we did get our first win in this competition in twenty years, and hopefully we'll get one or two more, at least, before we come home.

8. Crvena Zvezda

Crvena Zvezda Member

Manchester United
    England
    Apr 11, 2017
    Agreed they could have sent a much stronger squad, it would be down to the fact that teams like Portugal, Germany, Italy have qualified for the Under-21 finals this summer of course whereas France haven't so can pick a full strength team including players that would likely be with the 21's like Augustin, Tousart, Diop and Nkunku.
    We've lost a few eligibles like Gomez, Abraham, Rashford but we're relatively lightly affected I think. Anyway if we're ever going to get far in this tournament it should be this year though we'll be doing well to get something out of the Korea game as they will be one of the favourites for the tournament.

9. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That also has to do with our depth in quality. Most years if that many players didn't go then that severly limited us. France could've taken Mbappe and Ousmane Dembele.

You're right that it should be this year. 2019 should be even better possibly with the combination of 99's and 00's, but there could be too many good enough players and their won't want them to play for England.

10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Confed Cup has effected the German squad too. I assume it has done similar to the Portugal squad.

11. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Can't deny a lot of these players having a winning mentality as well and not only with England.
    Just from the starting line-up.
    Tomori, Clarke-Salter, Solanke with Chelsea.
    Kenny, Connolly (I know he went on loan for 2nd part of season), Dowell, Calvert-Lewin this past season with Everton.

12. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    They are showing England v Guinea also. :thumbsup:

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  13. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    09:45 CET, to bad I can't see it as am at work, might be able to watch a few minutes here and there if @W.A.S.P. can add that link again so I can see it on my phone ;):thumbsup:

W.A.S.P. repped this.
  14. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  15. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Fwiw, here is the team for today's game even though it feels irrelevant after what happened last night :(

16. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    Indeed. Looks a pretty poor line up though.

17. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Not sure we should be playing Solanke and Armstrong. System seems a bit random.

18. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Shocker from the keeper there - must have thought it was going wide. Well hit from Cook, 1-0 England

19. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    What a goal from Cook. We are riding our luck at times though.

20. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    That's a shocker of an OG, Tomori doesn't even look. Basic stuff

21. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Shocker of a own goal..

22. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    This is a pretty laboured performance.

23. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Yeah been a poor showing. Very few coherent passages of play. Error strewn.

24. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Whole team looks knackered and on their heels, being totally overrun and outworked

25. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Could do with Korea beating Argentina now. Bad miss from Kenny at the end but it would've been theft had they scored there.