England U-20 Discussions Thread (2004 born)

Discussion in 'England' started by Jenks, Apr 4, 2015.

1. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    RLC will have to break into a talented midfield corps but still he has the talent to do it.

2. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So Ibe, Aarons, and Wilson are in. This looks to be a very good squad already.

3. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Boothroyd to give squad list out at 8.30am tomorrow and will discuss it an hour later on Talksport (it says in above DM article).

4. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    [​IMG]

fairly expected but it's not that exciting is it. Defensively i'm not convinced.

5. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Our front 6 will be very dangerous. Ibe, Baker, Swift, Akpom, Wilson, Gray. Also Aarons is a tricky player. We should do pretty well since this team with these group of players are undefeated this season. Baker is probably one of the best free kick takers in the world for his age so if we have a free kick within 30 yards he's our man.

Can't wait to see the boys in action!

6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Defence seems a slight concern. Surprised no Bishop or Mowatt though but going forward is pretty good. Personally would also of had Angus Gunn in there also.

7. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah I quite like Angus. Quick off his feet, good passer for a keeper, and has quick reflexes. How does Pickford keep getting called up (refuse to say picked)? The best thing he's ever done was save two pens against Argentina in the U17 WC. He's most know for being scored on by Canada's backup keeper from the halfway line.

8. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Duncan Watmore in. eh. I hadn't given this squad much thought in anticipation but looking through the list it seems far more interesting than any previous u20 squad I can recall. History tells me though not to expect too much from a squad at this level. Looking forward to it.

9. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Watmore's really good and in form, he should have a decent tournament.

10. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Heard a lot of good things about Watmore even though not seen him much. Also heard he could count himself unlucky not to be part of the Sunderland first team. Hes been getting good reviews from the U21's.

11. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    He's quite a dynamic running, positive, attacking flank player with an eye out for a shot.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  12. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    What's wrong with our back 4? Tbf I haven't heard anything about anybody on the defensive side of things all season for the U20s.

13. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The U20s should've done much better in the 2013 WC with Barkley, JWP, Pritchard, Kane (before who he is now), Coady, Potts, Dier, and Johnstone. This squad now is much better. I can see us winning the tournament.

14. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I assumed quite a few more 1996 born players would be involved.

15. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I did too, and I'm a little surprised that Demarai Gray is the one who is there. We already have plenty of good wingers and forwards in the squad - Ibe, Robinson, Watmore, and Aarons for the wide positions alone. Would we not have benefited more from adding Galloway, Aina, or Chilwell to the slightly underwhelming defensive group? Or Alli or Colkett to bolster our midfield options, for that matter.

Odubajo is the one that really confuses me though. He can't progress to the under-21s because he won't be eligible, and it looks like we won't be entering a team into the Olympics so he can't play in that either. The only reason to give him tournament experience is if they think he's likely to be called up by the seniors in due course, and I'd have thought that there were others that were more likely bets on that front. But then, what do I know.

16. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd forgotten about Alli. Yeah that is strange why he didn't get a call up. Galloway hadn't been involved at all in the setup so I'm not surprised. Gray can lay as a CAM I believe.

17. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Galloway? He's been with the under-19s all season, the same as the others I mentioned.

18. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Defence looks pretty shocking. Can put together a pretty good front 6 though. Would have liked to see Mowatt in there, we really don't want to lose him to Scotland.

19. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Right back isn't out deepest position at the minute. Makes perfect sense to get to know one of the more viable future options already playing senior football in his last chance to play in an underage tournament. I think using Toulon as a way of checking up on some lads who have come into contention a little later than the lads who are in squads from U15s up and widening the pool of players that the coaching staff get to know is only a good thing. May also help some of these football league youngsters get more exposure and potential opportunities to make moves to Premier League sides when they prove they can compete v their peers from foreign countries.

20. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    I thought Reece Burke's break through into the West Ham squad alone would have earned him a place in this squad.

21. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
  22. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    You know what Liverpool are like. If it suits them 1% more to have him at the club then they'll happily ******** over England if they can.

ChristianSur repped this.
  23. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I suspect they are thinking about the possibility of a Europa qualifier, and/or a new manager who will want everyone in for start of preseason.

24. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Toulon finishes on 7 June. Liverpool's qualifiers start on 30 July, seven and a half weeks later. That seems like quite a while to me.