England U-19 Discussion Thread #3 (2005 born) [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Feb 22, 2011.

1. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    I agree that it is a bit pointless for the U18s to play games with players that are getting capped at U19 level anyway. The ones that need capping are those who have not had the opportunity, but possess the quality, they need these few games to show what they can do.

I'm in agreement with you that the likes of Pilatos and Thorne shouldn't have been picked as he has seen enough of them. The same could possibly be said for Obita too, he has more caps for the U19s (2) than he does U18s (1). If he is getting so much opportunities why isn't Zele Ismail getting a sniff? He was one of the upcoming stars of the 1993 bunch before injury curtailed his U17 season. This season he has been doing well and got a hattrick against Man U in an U18 match, didn't he notice that?

2. blackman

blackman Member

Apr 12, 2011
    norf london
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    hi folks i live in italy so i was able to watch the under18 game against the italians, here is my point of view.
    It was a very good game , the result is fair england dominated the first half and italy the second.the starting eleven (pitch position ) were
    alnwick
    pilatos-laing-lascelles-gibson
    thorne-coady
    thomas-moncur-hall
    berahino
    I know you guys don't highly rate noel blake...... from what i have seen during the last under19 euro i can easily understand why.....but not telling you lies it was the best england youth team than i have ever seen (from a coaching point of view) at least in the first half , they completely dominated italy, even ariggo sacchi said (at half time) than england deserved to score at least 2 goals ....the boys dominated in every aspect of the game ...technically,phisically and tactically.....with lascelles (potentialy a new rio) coady(a true leader),hall (tearing italians apart......outstanding performance),berahino(always in motion) above all......georges moncur played really well too the only guy who struggle was connor thomas....
    In the second half things change, due to blake (lascelles and thorne out) and italy's different approach (more aggressive).......england was like this
    alnwick
    pilatos-laing-gibson-bidwell
    coady-thomas
    moncur-bamford-hall
    berahino
    The italians goals came after an laing's error (one of many ) .....a litterally fall asleep on the pitch.......but it was fair cause the boys didn't control the game anymore , coady ,berahino and hall were getting tired, gibson and laing lacking concentration too often and thomas was M.I.A (missing in action.....)...then blake put nelson in and laing moove to a defensive midfielder position which was his best position during the game so it becomes a 4-3-3
    alnwick
    pilatos-nelson-gibson-bidwel
    laing
    coady-thomas
    fowler-topper-bamford
    The team was well balanced again but the two teams were too tired to attack so for the last 15 minutes it was more like a typical friendly test.

3. blackman

blackman Member

Apr 12, 2011
    norf london
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    other things:
    Nokel blake is HUGE!!!!! damn he look like an ex heavyweight champion....there was under16 coach with the england staff......ariggo sacchi , demetrio albertini were interviewed during the half time they praised the english new approach on youth politics (more technique less physique than before...)....robert hall was outstanding , he received a standing ovation by the italians public (3000 people many scholars) when he came out.......thorne-coady-moncur dominated the italians midfield like i never saw before.......conor coady run like gerrard:eek:......conor thomas barely touched the ball during all the game even if he played two different position (wide right and central midfielder).......curtis nelson should have came before, very good defender.......bamford got a lovely left foot but need to builk up his body and to speed up his game....... jamal lascelles is tall,big, technical good, good header, read the game well,fast, this kid will be a star for sure!......last but not least it was a very nice match.;)

4. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    Thanks for the information Blackman, much appreciated. Good to know that some of the players put in good performances.

5. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    We have options that could play the role Thomas had to start in that have never been capped. But again a player pulls out and he isn't replaced properly. Obita would have played there but wasn't replaced. This is my main complaint with Blake and I can never understand the reasoning as to why his replacements are so random.

Interesting that you praise Hall significantly. I like that he put Laing into a DM role too and not Coady who I don't like in that role.

Thanks for giving your views.

6. blackman

blackman Member

Apr 12, 2011
    norf london
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    it was a very nice game and i thought it could be interesting to share what i've seen with you....glad you appreciate it.
    ;)
    here is the goals and some highlights...the man interviewed is italian coach and former milan ac player alberigo evani
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuaSoQfSCYU"]YouTube - Italia Under 18 1-1 Inghilterra Under 18 12-4-2011 Highlights & Goals HD[/ame]

7. mo0.

mo0. Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    oof, that was a soft goal!

8. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Thanks mate, really appreciate your views on the game.

I knew Lascelles would shine and will possibly push Tom Thorpe hard to partner Andre Wisdom for the u19's. As I said earlier, I believe Laings best position is in the DM role...been playing there all season.

Quite happy that the midfield did very well considering that there was possibly only Coady who has a chance of making the u19 champs. Also the fact that the midfield couldn't have been the most balalnced with the lack of any width.

Mate...What was your over-all opinion on Bamford? I saw you said he has a wonderful left-foot, which he most definitely does have. Eventhough he is quite tall he isn't the heftiest but I've seen him hold up a ball decently. His greatest strength is his dribbling ability which can also be a weakness. He also has a tendency to score wonder goals.

If you think about the 1993 age group...there is Wickham, Afobe, Keane, Kane, Hall, Berahino, Bamford & Williams. Don't think there has been a better age-group ito depth of strikers/attackers as well.

9. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--

10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Obviously I know your point but it's too simplistic from an overall development point of view to demand it unconditionally.

Chamberlain was promoted to the U21's by Pearce extremely late right before the Germany U19 game because Pearce doesn't care about what is best for the individual. Pearce needs the best options regardless of what is best for them in his warped mind. Pearce's own attitude certainly has similarities to your own continuous claim that the best eligible players should go to these tournaments regardless though.

I don't see how a friendly U19 defeat can be considered embarrassing either.

11. mo0.

mo0. Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    Despite the emergence of Lascelles, i still firmly believe Tom Thorpe is our best CB at this age level and is one to earmark for the future. his performances for United this season have been superb - he's a proper footballing centre-half (ie- option #1 isn't to hoof it upfield), and a very vocal leader on the pitch. competition among spots is never a bad thing though!

12. blackman

blackman Member

Apr 12, 2011
    norf london
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    bamford,has lost some balls but also showed good dribbling skills, made a correct match, perhaps held the ball a bit too much.

13. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Here is an enlarged squad for the possible u19 selection...should create good debate. Obviously there may be some injured players included but we shouldn't forget about them. The long-term injured players like Watson and Williams would have definitely come into contention if fit. The actual u19's are in italics.

GK
    Jed Steer (Norwich)
    Jack Butland (Birmingham)
    Sam Johnstone (Man Utd)

RB
    James Hurst (West Brom)
    Bruno Pilatos (Middlesbrough)
    John Flanagan (Liverpool)
    CB
    Andre Wisdom (Liverpool)
    Tom Thorpe (Man Utd)
    Jamaal Lascelles (Nottm Forest)
    Louis Laing (Sunderland)
    Karlton Watson (Nottm Forest)
    LB
    Luke Garbutt (Everton)
    Jack Robinson (Liverpool)

CM
    Jonjo Shelvey (Liverpool)
    Gary Gardner (Aston Villa)
    Ryan Tunnicliffe (Man Utd)
    Josh McEachran (Chelsea)
    Ross Barkley (Everton)
    Conor Coady (Liverpool)
    George Thorne (West Brom)
    Chuks Aneke (Arsenal)
    George Moncur (West Ham)

WINGERS
    George Taft (Leicester)
    Jordan Obita (Reading)
    Tom Ince (Liverpool)

AMF/wingers/strikers
    Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain (Southampton)
    Ravel Morrison (Man Utd)
    Luke Williams (Middlesbrough)

STRIKERS/attackers
    Michale Ngoo (Liverpool)
    Wilfried Zaha (Crystal Palace)
    Jose Baxter (Everton)
    Connor Wickham (Ipswich)
    Benik Afobe (Arsenal)
    Will Keane (Man Utd)
    Harry Kane (Tottenham)
    Saido Berahino (West Brom)
    Robert Hall (West Ham)
    Patrick Bamford (Nottm Forest)

14. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Just a point on the strikers...I'm not so sure Ngoo and Zaha are better than Berahino, Hall and Bamford.

Just hope Blake doesn't feel guilty by not picking the 1992 born players. Its just that 1993 batch has the greatest depth of talent probably ever in England youth group history...if not then close to it.

Jack Butland would also be my keeper.

Phil Jones and Jack Wilshere are just extra-ordinary talents in the 1992 born group and are prem regulars (therefore full international level and u21 level is the lowest they must play now).

Players like Karlton Watson (if fit), Jonjo Shelvey, Ryan Tunnicliffe, Gary Gardner and possibly Jose Baxter are the only 1992 born players who should come into consideration for the u19's if fit.

Players like Carroll, Fredericks and Ince aren't better than 1993 born players in their positions. Also Ngoo and Zaha as I mentioned earlier.

I mean is Hurst the best RB...I have my doubts just like Barry who brought up the RB debate.

15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Taft is a centre back or left back.

I wouldn't have a problem with Hurst at right back tbh. If he wants to give someone else the role fine but it really should have been done earlier.

How the hell can Watson be considered at this point :confused:

I wouldn't say only those certain players should be picked from 1992 personally. Even Steer is 92 and you've not added him to you list of only ones to consider.

16. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I didn't say they are the only one;s to be selected but its my opinion that the 1993 born players are better in those positions. Very touchy ey Barry.

I haven't seen Taft but I've read he is firstly a LW who can play LB.

I didn't say he should be considered as if you read the top part that you cannot forget the injured players. It was also a demonstration of how little of the 1992 born players are actually in the mix because 1993 group are so good. He was selected in the 1st group but I didn't add the likes of Jack Mills and Angus McDonald as they are no where near as good as Watson.

17. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I'm not touchy about anything. Just can't understand how an uncapped player that has been injured for so long can be considered an option for qualifying games but others can't. Especially considering centre back is a strong area for selection.

He's played centre back and left back at England level. Can't see how he will play on the wing with our options.

18. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    If Watson was fit and I mentioned it many times (if fit), he would be in the enlarged squad for this age-group (so I put him in). Didn't say he would make it or if he is being considered now (as you say that would be ludicrous). Just putting him in the enlarged squad to show the depth of this u19's...and where his talent deserves to be if he was fit.

Sorry for the Taft mistake...I'm sure I read somewhere that he played LW as well. Who started LB then in the last ENG U19 game...Garbutt or Taft?

19. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Well yeah I agree then but there are a few other uncapped 92 born that could go in that bracket that have been either ignored or missing.

He might play left wing at club level but I think Blake has picked him because of his defensive versatility. He can play centre back and left back. Which might mean he makes this next squad because he can cover two positions (whether that selection is the right thing to do is another issue).

Garbutt started at left back in the last U19 game as far as I am aware.

20. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Hurst, Thorpe, Wisdom, Garbutt and Taft all started the last U19 game. Hence one of Garbutt or Taft played LW.

21. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I watched the Germany U19 game and Blake started Thorpe and Taft as centre backs. They both then had the same numbers 5 and 6 in the Holland game.

He also played Zaha and Ince in the wider roles in the German game. They both started the Holland game too.

Wisdom had the number four shirt so I assume he started as DM. Maybe Garbutt played wider at some point but I doubt it was Taft at all.

22. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Thats interesting. I didn't picture that at all. Cheers for that Barry.

23. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I like Ngoo (don't know much about Bamford). He has a lot of "potential". Doesn't have much reserve experience at all, and needs to cut down on the dribbling a bit as he moves up - should play it more simple and dynamic.

Don't like Hall. Berahino can be very frustrating and quite a muddle-head. Zaha would seem to be a shockingly bad finisher. Ince is a no, no, please God no.

By the way, I was assuming Flanagan was Irish - he had a blinder of course the other night - impeccable passing.

24. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Flanagan is as scouse as they come. His family owns half the city.

25. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I've seen Ngoo a number of times with the Liverpool u18's and does to quite well but nothing great. I know he had a little injury recently but doesn't get anywhere near the Liverpool reserves before that. Considering he is 1992 born he should have had a greater look in surely.

I like both Hall and Berahino's activity and movement. Bamford very much a dribbler and creates a lot of goals for other players and has a fine left-foot.

Lots of Irish caught the boat across to Liverpool years ago. With a surname like that, its probably the case with his ancestors. But he is 100% scouser. :D