England U-19 Discussion Thread #3 (2005 born) [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Here's the link for the Germany u19 vs England u19.

2. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    Ashby-Hammond; Daley-Campbell, Williams, Binks, Mola; Maghoma, Jones, Anjorin; Saka, Whittaker, John-Jules

3. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    Saka's playing as a left-back actually & Mola is in midfield.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  4. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    I feel we've been better in skill positions but some of those big German center-backs look tasty, and we have a lack of those in our system. Some of them look like they could slot right in to a championship side. We need to get Saka pushed forward and Jones tucked in more. I dont like Saka at LB, its too far for him to make an impact and hes one of our best skill players

5. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Is Maghoma number 4? Big downgrade on Garner in that position, doesn’t look confident or that capable on the ball.

I think we have the more talented players out there but that messy period cost us. We can definitely get back into it. Can’t say any German players stood out in that half really. They pressed well early on and reaped their reward. They should tire later on.

6. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah, I think technically we’re better from what I saw and pretty much dominated the game apart from a 10 minute period. Simpson needs to tell our centre half’s to not look long and simply get the ball into midfield as we have players comfortable on the ball who can then go through the lines to link up with the forward players. As soon as it goes long, we just give the ball back to Germany when there’s no need. Hasn’t happened to often mind but when it has, we just lose possession.

Is Tommy Doyle in the bench?

7. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    First 45 in a newish position for Maghoma. Have some patience lads.

8. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    Yeah, Doyle on now. Saka just ran 70 yards to try and get in on a tap in. Equalizer deserved. Anjorin and Jones also did ok before they went off. John Jules has been anonymous

9. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    hard fought 1-0 loss.

10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    That was quite an encouraging display. Some poor decisions in the final third but good link play and individual work. Decent start to the campaign.

sharpovic repped this.
  11. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    I only caught the last 30 minutes but neither team covered themselves in glory - though Germany did defend well and then saw out stoppage time extremely well. Both teams extremely sloppy in possession and lots of niggly fouls. Actually seemed quite bad tempered for a friendly.

12. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Looked a lot better with Gordon and Doyle on. Thought the midfield was the weak spot, Maghoma and Mola had poor games. Personally I thought Anjorin wasn’t too great either for the most part. Jones was good in the first but quiet in the second, not as good on the right as he is on the left but that was the Saka conundrum, he’s wasted at left back. I’ve never been much of a fan of DVC. It was a decent enough performance all in but the German defence played like their lives depended on it which won them the game. Strange to see such an agricultural German side.

13. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    good luck on your U19 Euro qualifiers.Hate U19 since only 7 teams qualify. We both failed last season to make it.

14. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Are we going to see some of the best 18s getting promoted for qualifying this year? We could get a really strong squad together if we did.

15. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    possibly a few, but there’s not much point because they probably wouldn’t go to the finals anyway.

May aswell just ensure that there’s games for the highest amount of players possible.

16. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Thought the finals have been brought forward this season?

17. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    They’re even later. Run into August.

18. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
  19. Slater582

Slater582 Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Shrewsbury, England
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Belgium and France next month so that should be another good test. Then in November there are qualifiers against Luxembourg, Bosnia and hosts Macedonia.

Aside from Harwood-Bellis who do you consider the best 18s that would improve this 2001 side?

20. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    It isn't necessarily about improving the XI but the squad: Musah ,Carvalho, Mighten, Mengi, Livramento, Greenwood and Madueke. I think Livramento and Greenwood could improve the XI but then I don't rate VDC and TJJ.

The younger players would be more likely to get released for a late off season tournament too.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  21. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Livramento's the one that stands out to me too. Not necessarily more than Laird though, and I'm not sure how long he's out for.

22. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Anyone else feel like this group is slightly underrated?

When you look at Ashby-Hammond, Harwood-Bellis, Saka, Doyle, Garner and Jones that's a really strong core of players who could go far in the game.

23. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    There is obvious talent but I feel 2002s have more potential stars if not the depth of decent options the 2001s have.

I would add Laird, Anjorin, Appiah and Ameachi to the list.

Maybe Buchanan but a lot also depends how he goes at left-back as CB at senior football may not be a realistic option. The other 2 to watch is whether Brennan Johnson does come back to England and under the radar a little bit I like the look of Anthony Gordon at Everton.

I would say those are the only players that could be comparable to 2002 players in the positions. 2002s always had the more complete team for me but maybe lacked options outside a group of say 20-22.

I'm not sure if I am alone in thinking this but I prefer Sam Greenwood at Arsenal to John-Jules and Balogun but that doesn't mean they can't go far in the game and make it at Arsenal either. Arsenal may rate them higher too. Interesting Sam eventually signed his pro with Arsenal so the juggling act between those 3 is another interesting topic.

24. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Do you have the dates/locations of the games next month? I can’t see anything on the FA website.

25. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    In November they have Luxembourg, Macedoneia and Bosnia for the Qualifiers.

Supposedly they going to look at some new players in October.