England U-19 Discussion Thread #3 (2005 born) [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
  2. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    He is progressing at such a fast rate it is so exciting.

I think he would have been in that last Welsh u21 selection but according to Paul Taylor didn't take up the chance.

3. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Does that indicate that he’s leaning towards England?

4. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I would say that is his preferred choice. He was very much in the England mix from u15s-17s so I mean the fact he went to Wales to continue international exposure has worked well. Interesting what will happen this season because he can get into the u19 squad no problem for me.

5. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Tino Anjorin with a storming performance for Chelsea u23s .

1163534649123049473 is not a valid tweet id

6. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Have always liked the look of him.

7. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    It feels like he's made a step up lately. Could be a big player for the under-19s.

8. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I can’t find any info on upcoming fixtures. Don’t they usually play during the international break?

9. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    5th v Greece
    9th v Germany

All on the FA website where fixtures always are.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  10. ADM99

ADM99 Member+

Apr 28, 2019
    Game against Germany is being shown on YouTube (not by us obviously) I think. Remember seeing something about it.

11. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    yes dfb is showing that game.

12. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    Is the Greece game open to the public or behind closed doors?

13. Sensanetional

Sensanetional Member

Apr 4, 2017
    Tommy Doyle had a semi-dedicated piece on The Athletic today (https://theathletic.com/1161405/201...ces-a-fight-to-break-the-clubs-glass-ceiling/) where he was surprisingly (to me at least) regarded as the best player in the academy. I cut out the relevant bits.

>
    One of those second-year scholars is Tommy Doyle, who many City fans know well enough already, despite being just 17. In the fairytale stakes, he is right up there with Foden, a Stockport lad and a City fan.

Doyle, as is customary to point out in these articles, is the grandson of not one, but two City legends. One is Mike Doyle, who made 570 appearances for City, the third most in the club’s history. The other is Glyn Pardoe, who remains the youngest ever City first-team player, having made his debut at 15 years and 313 days old in 1962.

Mike Doyle’s son Scott and Pardoe’s daughter Charlotte met as toddlers when their parents were City team-mates, and Tommy has been at the club since he was eight. If ever there was a player destined for big things, it’s him.

He has the talent too, of course. He’s captained City and England at youth level and can play either at the back of midfield or as an ‘8’ — think Kevin De Bruyne or David Silva. Stylistically he is actually quite similar to the former, with an all-action style and eye for a pass.

Academy staff rave about his tactical understanding and positional sense, on top of his technique, which is said to be not far off Foden’s level (which is ridiculously high). City’s overseas academy staff also marvel at his “English character” — the dogged willingness to put in tackles as well as make defence-splitting passes.

Fans who watched City’s pre-season games would have noticed his set-piece delivery, too, which is better than most regular Premier League players. Whether curled, stood up or drilled in flat, the variety and consistency of his corners really is worth looking out for in the years to come.

He will not be loaned out any time soon. He is still too young for that and City want to make sure he keeps developing on their watch. Part of that involves playing for the Under 23s, often against considerably older opponents, a common method in academies, and certainly at City.

With Foden a genuine first-team member (albeit a patient one), Doyle is now regarded as the best player in the academy. Intriguingly, it was not always so. City send many of their best-rated youngsters (and, sometimes, their siblings) to the £11,835-a-year St Bede’s College. Those at the club before secondary school age are sent for the full five-year course.

Some players don’t go, either because their parents decide not to send them or because they do not want their sons living with a host family. But most of those who aren’t given the St Bede’s treatment stay at their regular school and train in the evenings away from the others, who have already trained during the day.

It is said that at around Under-11 or Under-12 age, Doyle was nowhere near as highly rated as many of his team-mates, and nowhere near as highly rated as he is now. His growth in the past few years is testament to his own determination to work hard and the academy’s ability to improve players. City staff say he even takes media training classes seriously.

Marcho Gamgee, Sam1010 and hussar repped this.
  14. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    What is the significance of that bit about St. Bede's? It doesn't really seem to say anything.

And Man City do like their academy puff peices especially if the puff is about local lads (all of whom are City, not United, fans of course).

15. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Nauseating tripe and exactly why I fear that Foden is little more than a prop for Abu Dhabi's image war.

16. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    I don't think that's the full article. Any chance of copying the rest in, to save me signing up for a free trial that I end up accidentally spending £50 on?

17. Sensanetional

Sensanetional Member

Apr 4, 2017
    I don't agree with the idea that it's a "puff piece", Sam Lee is a very balanced writer. I thought it was an interesting piece of info to share but if we're going to do the "hurr durr City bad sportswash etc" then I'm not going to bother next time.

The rest of the article isn't really relevant to this thread, but if you want it you can DM me on twitter.

18. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Lee is a decent reporter. But his youth stuff is always just putting across whatever he's told by the club with little filter or application of his own opinion, because he doesn't have one. Nothing wrong with that, just is what it is and like anything, without knowing the source it's hard to know whether it's a worthwhile opinion to trust.

wellno repped this.
  19. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    If Laird was fit, Johnson back to England & Greenwood not promoted. When you add some of the defenders from the 02s & Buchanan there seems more of a balance and better quality in defence and depth.

Ashby-Hammond
    Dewhurst

Laird
    Drameh or Daley-Campbell
    Harwood-Bellis
    Wood
    2 or maybe 3 of Binks, Mola, Buchanan, Roberts

Garner
    Doyle
    White
    Anjorin
    Johnson
    Jones

Saka
    Appiah
    Amaechi
    Rogers

Greenwood
    John-Jules or Balogun

20. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Did Johnson accept his U21 call up this time?

21. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Not sure at this stage but it would be interesting to know what has been communicated with him from both FA's.

22. AJ123

AJ123 Member+

Man Utd
    England
    Feb 17, 2018
    Sam Lee is just a mouth piece for City, he promotes the clubs agenda in exchange for exclusivity on stories. When it comes to Man City transfer news he's as reliable as any journalist there has ever been in that regard. When it comes to actual journalism or honest critique on City he has zero credibility whatsoever.

23. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Looks a moot point. Imagine being selected means he accepted this time.

[​IMG]

24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Men’s U19s
    Squad named: 12.30pm, Friday 30 August
    Fixtures:
    v Greece, Thursday 5 September, St. George’s Park*
    v Germany, 4pm, Monday 9 September, Sibre-Sportzentrum Haarwasen, Haiger

25. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    The squad

Goalkeepers: Luca Ashby-Hammond (Fulham), Marcus Dewhurst (Sheffield United), Zachary Jeacock (Birmingham City)

Defenders: Ajibola Alese (West Ham United), Lee Buchanan (Derby County), Vontae Daley-Campbell (Leicester City), Taylor Harwood-Bellis (Manchester City), Clinton Mola (Chelsea), Louie Sibley (Derby County), Rhys Williams (Liverpool on loan to Kidderminster Harriers)

Midfielders: Bukayo Saka (Arsenal), James Garner (Manchester United), Curtis Jones (Liverpool), Paris Maghoma (Tottenham Hotspur), Bali Mumba (Sunderland), Thomas Doyle (Manchester City), Jacob Ramsey (Aston Villa)

Forwards: Daniel Adshead (Norwich City), Faustino Anjorin (Chelsea), Folarin Balogun (Arsenal), Anthony Gordon (Everton), Tyreece John-Jules (Arsenal), Morgan Whittaker (Derby County)