England U-19 Discussion Thread #3 (2005 born) [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Feb 22, 2011.

1. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    The last time we lost two qualifiers at this level in a campaign Hogan Ephraim and Craig Lindfield were playing.

David Hurford and ChristianSur repped this.
  2. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Reed doesn't fill me with confidence, but I'd need a specific reason to think that he was the cause of an immediate downturn in results. Otherwise I think there are more likely explanations.

3. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Come on Con, get a late winner.

4. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    That sounds like it was the chance, Nmecha with a poor header, Loader off the post with the rebound.

5. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Just missed a great chance, think we hit the post.

6. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Czech Republic just missed a penalty so the other game is still in the balance.

7. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    For them, yes. For us it doesn't really matter if Greece equalise.

Juni repped this.
  8. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Every time there's a shot on goal the commentators make it sound like it's gone in.

9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Disappointing and frustrating tbh!

10. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well that's very poor. I suppose a lot of players with club commitments might not have gone to the finals anyway, but missing out on a tournament finals is not a good look, nor is it beneficial overall.

11. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Really disappointing. Whatever the standard of coaching may be, I can't help but think that they'd have had a better chance if the 2001s had been dipped into a little more. You can't lose all of Sancho, Brewster, Foden, Hudson-Odoi, and Sessegnon and only promote Sako without your attacking threat suffering.

David Hurford repped this.
  12. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Not good. Gap between U19s + U21s is where we lose guys. Having even less games is never good.

Should be a good indication of what Les Reed is about with his reaction to the end of this cycle.

13. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    This group were hardly convincing in the initial qualifiers so I can't see what Reed had done.

Defensive resilience was always a bit of an issue with this age group they could just outscore most anyone they played against. Not had the same cutting edge as before without the missing players which seems to have cost them. The midfield also had very little defensive ability which i'm sure is part of the reason they conceded seemingly quite easily.

14. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Yeah and then you can sense his frustration with his endless sighs

15. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Interesting to note the absentees from this squad that were part of the same group that were U17 Euros runners up and U17 World Champions.

Sancho, Hudson-Odoi, Foden, Smith Rowe, Brewster, Eyoma, Gibson, Latibeaudiere, Oakley-Boothe, Griffiths, Vokins, Denny, Kirby, Barlow, Anderson.

16. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I was surprised that Greenwood wasn’t included tbh but maybe he is injured, not sure.

17. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Sometimes you can be frustrated with this format when going out but this whole campaign has been woeful. Maybe if we had a clinical finisher like Solanke it may have papered over the cracks. Saying that we only gained one clean sheet throughout qualifying (against Moldova). If you are not even remotely clinical you need to be good defensively. We were neither.

18. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    So we finished 3rd in our Group at home is poor and what’s worse is Czech Republic won the group who we beat 4-1 in the 1st game and they beat Greece 3-1 who beat us 2-1. Just a kind of strange set of results tbh. Just feels very frustrating at this point as like the radio guys said, we pretty much dominated the game, had all the chances, Denmark only had two real chances on goal which ended up being 2 goals. Grrrrr, very frustrating and just not good enough!

19. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    I think it caps off a bad year for the U19s. Qualifying wasn’t good last year, the tournament itself was a waste of time and then this year has been very patchy too.

Two different coaches and they’ve gone through so many players, but it does seem like England need to try pin point where the failings are.

20. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    And just to top off the disappointment, Ireland qualified for the finals with probably quite a few ( not looked at how many so might actually be minimal) dual qualified players that probably never got a look in for England.

21. David Hurford

David Hurford Member

West Ham
    England
    Jul 15, 2017
    These are tough balances because we moved a few up so they could get more competitive game-time. Bitterly disappointing all the same because now a few will miss out on important tournaments. Worth noting that the emergence of Saka is a real positive.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  22. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  23. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    Some shocking defending from England there. The last Denmark goal in particular the defending is atrocious - who is the guy on the wide right who literally just stands there as 3 Denmark players advance past him, and doesn't move the entire time?

You can be as talented as you want but if you're not willing to put basic effort in off the ball you're going to get punished.

hussar repped this.
  24. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    It's Poveda.

25. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018

Promising return to action for Brewster at long last, always a big worry when a player particularly one so young is out for so long. I remember Liverpool had Samed Yesil who was similarly lethal at youth level but never was the same after a long time out.

Shame he wasn't back a couple of months earlier, really could have done with him for the qualifiers!

W.A.S.P., David Hurford, dbs235 and 3 others repped this.