England U-19 Discussion Thread #3 (2005 born) [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Feb 22, 2011.

1. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's also hard to imagine him being developed that way on loan. Particularly in England I cant imagine any club having the patience, especially when United will be getting all the benefits. I'm usually very sceptical of English players going on loan to Holland because even if they do very well it is to be expected but it might really suit Gomes.

IGSpur repped this.
  2. MrSnrub

MrSnrub Member+

Oct 7, 2018
    I thought, and am a little surprised, that Ashby-Hammond wasn't promoted to this group. He was the most impressive keeper we've had at under 17 level for a while, very assured with the ball at his feet.

In contrast goalkeeper has always been a weak spot, Anderson is just about ok but nothing special, Bursik always looks a big liability, and Crellin I haven't seen much of.

3. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    1061693515200163841 is not a valid tweet id

TopBanana10, W.A.S.P., hussar and 2 others repped this.
  4. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Gibbs-White and Smith-Rowe didn't even start most of the time during their U17 days. I feel like both of them have arguably kicked on the best out of everyone besides Sancho and Sessegnon. The bar is thin in that department, but they've played more competitive first team football than most in this group haven't they?

David Hurford and TopBanana10 repped this.
  5. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Some people have mentioned him numerous times, but a quick thought on Ashby-Hammond:

I think by the next World Cup he'll be in contention to make the senior squad. He'll be 21 by then so definitely a stretch, but I love everything about his game. The reason why he's kinda flown under the radar is because he doesn't make any natural mistakes and nothing crazy happens around him during matches, which is brilliant. Great distribution and leader on the pitch. Obviously he's on the right track and favored by our coaches. He plays for Fulham and they've shown they aren't afraid to promote their younger talents so it's definitely a possibility they'll show him some faith as time goes on if he keeps doing what he's doing.

TopBanana10 repped this.
  6. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    A bit off topic, but who do people rate as our best deep lying midfield prospect? There are a few players such as Hodge, Garner and Skipp. Any preference between them or other players to look out for?

7. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I'd say our best two are Oakley-Booth arguably Skipp, who never gets a call up. McEachran and Gallagher are decent as well.

8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Phil Foden says Hi ;)

TopBanana10 repped this.
  9. TopBanana10

TopBanana10 Member+

Millwall
    England
    Sep 8, 2018
    I have to say, I prefer Garner over McEachran, Gallagher and TOB. Probably over Skipp as well. It may just be just a personal stylistic preference because Garner tends to sit and dictate whereas Skipp is a bit more all action.

Hodge is an interesting one. I haven't seen enough of him but a few of the regulars on here rate him highly and that means he's worth checking out. Have you seen much of him?

10. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    I like Garner too. Oakley Boothe is my favorite talent in that position but I'm a bit worried about his development atm. Of course he was injured quite often, but I also feel he lacks character at times and hides too much. Frustrating as he has the ability to dominate every game. Opposite of someone like Gallagher who is - in my opinion - very average on the ball but makes it up with his desire to get on the ball and be available. But overall it's a position where we don't develop enough players. For me, there's still a tendency at England youth level to favour the no nonsense defensively solid CM at the expense of deep lying playmakers type of midfielders. Missing piece of the puzzle if we want to dominate at senior level.

W.A.S.P. and hussar repped this.
  11. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    I know he is not a massive talent, but isn't Flynn Downes a player like that?

12. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    My Chelsea bias coming through again but McEachran has to be in the conversation. Just isn't very big.

W.A.S.P., IGSpur and sharpovic repped this.
  13. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010
    He's a very good player. As you say there might be a physical issue. I'm also cautious bc of his brother history and also Colkett underwhelming development so far. Would be great if he made it.

14. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    I don't think Flynn Downes will ever be a top player like some spoken about here, but he has been excellent in the last few games for ITFC - playing under Paul Lambert is bringing out the best in him but in a slightly more advanced role.

Our next game is on Sky v WBA and he'll be starting, most likely alongside Trev Chalobah in central midfield (ahead of Cole Skuse who will sit) and it will be worth a watch in a game that will be a bigger test

David Hurford and hussar repped this.
  15. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Kick-off v Moldova in just under an hour ?

16. Garibaldi11

Garibaldi11 Member+

Mar 23, 2011
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
  17. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    1-0 Gallagher

I see they have given Bursik the number 1 shirt. Probably the main surprise.

18. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  19. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Saka adds a third within three minutes of coming on.

20. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    We are making timely substitutions too. It feels strange after Simpson’s reign :eek:

4-0 FT
    Steve Sessegnon with the late fourth.

21. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Apparently Clubs from Germany and The Netherlands have contacted City about signing Ian Carlo Poveda. Not sure how true this is as the article was vague ( The Sun ) but I could understand the interest as he’s such a continental type player. Also not sure if they are after a permanent deal or loan as didn’t specify but I would imagine a loan but who knows. Interesting that the article says how tight he is with Sancho and Nelson, so Germany could be a good option.

23. sharpovic

sharpovic Member+

May 20, 2010

not a fan of this 11. Probably wants to rotate but frustrating not to see Gomes if we're gonna play this midfield

24. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    1-0 up already, goal scorer to come

Steven Sessegnon

25. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    How often is Vokins in these squads and he rarely starts. I still don’t think he’s started a competitive game for us.