England U-19 Discussion Thread #3 (2005 born) [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Feb 22, 2011.

1. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Only saw some of the second half. FT 2-1 England. Iceland looked a strong committed side.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  2. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    England were a bit lazy and sloppy. Turned it on for the final 25 minutes of the first half and were carving them apart but they were just so complacent in the 2nd.

Brereton struggled today, not convinced by him at all. Might just be because we've got some players who are ridiculously smooth around him, but he's a little cumbersome. Think he could almost do with a few U23 games at Forest, is always tough for a young goalscorer to then be played in different roles and have a run without goals.

Tavernier looks like he's got something about him. Undecided on Downes so far, not negative, just genuinely not sure what he excels at yet. Could be just a jack of all trades, master of none, tidy midfielder that we churn out for fun.

Nelson was poor. Was expecting things to be a bit easier than they were and became a bit predictable with the things he was trying. Getting himself isolated and taking extra touches a few too many times.

Tanganga cocked up for their goal, got caught on the ball at the back. But he was generally alright. He wasn't alone in being caught on the ball by any stretch, he was just the one who's error was punished. Chalobah was guilty of it too.

Didn't look structural or tactical, just like complacency. They've had an odd few games so far. Czech Republic, Slovakia, Germany and today were all a bit similar. I suspect there will be a lot of changes for Tuesday. Tymon in for Sessegnon will be a huge downgrade, really not sure he's got much to offer England in the future. Ideally we'd have a look at someone else. Hirst deserves a game too, was surprised he wasn't involved today. Unsure how much gametime he's been allowed at Wednesday though, including U23 ball.

Jenks repped this.
  3. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Yeah, I would agree with all of that. I didn't really like the CM partnership myself. Still we didn't play great but really should have won by more.

It feels as if it's inevitable that quite a few of the 2000 options will come in next year. Not that anyone has been awful but a few haven't really stamped their mark on the squad and next year the competition for places is going to be much higher.

JRSG repped this.
  4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    W.A.S.P. repped this.
  5. itfcjoe

itfcjoe Member+

Oct 8, 2014
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Re Downes - as someone who's watched him a lot over the years I've very surprised by his ascent into the England set up.

He's not a player who has ever stood out technically, although is better than average technically - what he has always been and has pushed him on is very competitive. A tough player, who likes a tackle and plays on the edge and gets his team mates wound up to play. Had (at least) 3 red cards with the U18s over his 2 year scholarship and played very little U21/U23 football which is unusual at a club like ITFC.

In fairness he was up against Nydam, Dozzell, etc who have been highly rated since they came out of nappies and been pushed on by the club.

It's good for ITFC that he is playing, and I can see why he is getting a taste of senior of football, especially under a manager like Mick McCarthy who is very big on high character and will to win etc, and am sure he'll make a good impact in senior football - but not sure he is an England age group player until we potentially get to the U21s where there seems to be a bit less 'DNA' on show.

I may be being a bit over critical of him there, but just seems to me that he's a way off technically when I compare him to other England age group players I've seen in the flesh (at Category 2 level where they stick out like a sore thumb generally)

6. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    A 1-0 win against Bulgaria means we top the group. Sancho with the goal.

W.A.S.P., Marcho Gamgee and The Guardian repped this.
  7. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Sancho looked very good when he came on in the last game, had the run and put the cross in for the winner.

8. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Damn, missed this game. Anyone watch it?

9. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I only saw a short spell in the second half. So can't really comment on the game.

10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  11. dbs235

dbs235 Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    With the way City are going at the minute it's actually perfect to start giving him minutes. When they're 4-0 up at home to say a Bournemouth or Swansea then bring him on for the last 20 minutes.

12. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    931987878887923712 is not a valid tweet id

13. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

Jenks repped this.
  14. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Foden struggled to get anywhere last night in the u23 derby match. He might find it easier in the first team (contrary to popular opinion).

15. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

Marcho Gamgee and zXen repped this.
  16. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Ryan Sessingion scored a hatrick tonight.

17. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Wonderful commentary, lol.

ChristianSur repped this.
  18. kent paul

kent paul Member

Jan 2, 2004
    england
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I know, just watch it with the sound down.

19. Jenks

Jenks Member+

Feb 16, 2013
    Club:
    --other--
    He reminds me of Bale a bit.

20. Mason Mount very likely Thursday in the starting eleven for the EL match against Lazio!
    https://www.gelderlander.nl/sport/w...j-vitesse-voor-clash-met-lazio-roma~a7f1e61b/

View attachment 115558
    Mason Mount, hier in actie tegen Zulte-Waregem, is een van de spelers die in het basisteam van Vitesse lijkt te gaan staan tegen Lazio Roma. © ANP Pro Shots
    Wisselingen op komst bij Vitesse voor clash met Lazio Roma

ARNHEM - Trainer Henk Fraser zinspeelt op wisselingen in de basis bij Vitesse voor het duel met Lazio Roma. Naast doelman Jeroen Houwen mogen ook Julian Lelieveld, Mukhtar Ali en Mason Mount uitkijken naar een Europese wedstrijd.

Marcho Gamgee and ChristianSur repped this.
  21. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I’m really keen to see this Mason Mount, maybe Chelsea will loan him out to QPR when he turns 24.

22. If I was Chelsea I would have him get a season of first team play under his belt at Vitesse and then pull him back to London and gradually give him minutes to get used to the physical demands of the EPL. He's too good to be loaned to lower epl clubs.

23. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don’t know why any good young player would go to Chelsea or City or even United with Jose in charge. But yeah being loaned to a lower EPL club has its problems too, Pulis was too scared to play Gnabry a couple is seasons ago. Premier league clubs are obsessed with youth but it’s managers are often terrrified by inexperience.

24. Well, the only way to get experience is to put them on the pitch.
    Over here we say: "If you're good enough, you're old enough".

25. DrFootball1

DrFootball1 Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Brussels
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    933788152187314176 is not a valid tweet id

933785827448107008 is not a valid tweet id

W.A.S.P. and Marcho Gamgee repped this.