England U-19 Discussion Thread #3 (2005 born) [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Feb 22, 2011.

1. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Meanwhile, Norwich have taken Adam Phillips on trial.

2. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    885521621959757830 is not a valid tweet id

“Since I’ve been in the game I’ve understood that you either have that [confidence] at 17 years of age or you don’t,” Arsene Wenger said.

“Some of the players I’ve had in my career have turned 18 years old and it seems natural for them to be on the pitch. They just think, ‘Let’s play’ and Reiss behaves like that.

“They all did well today, Reiss Nelson, Joe Willock as well had a very strong performance. They are young, just 17 or 18 years old, so that is very promising.

“Pre-season is there for that, for me to understand how close they are. It’s the first game, it’s a bit early. What they’ve shown tonight means they have the chance of being very, very close.”

https://www.arsenal.com/news/wenger-nelson-behaves-natural#qkOx6pggcMfdo5rq.99

ChristianSur and timh19 repped this.
  3. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011

885452986528542720 is not a valid tweet id

Everyone knows Nelson is a ridiculous talent but who would have thought Joe Willock is so good? Joe seems to have everything to be a starter for a top club in the future (if that's his usual level of performance and not a one-off).

4. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Joe Willock hasn't been capped for England since U16 level. Might be another one of the age group to come back for the next U19 campaign.

5. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Having seen a couple of Arsenal u18 games towards the end of the season I'd been meaning to mention that Joe Willock had looked good - playing with much more oomph and drive to his game.

timh19 repped this.
  6. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wasn't he not part of the U17s in the FA Youth Tournament in 2015?

7. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    I can't recall him playing at U17 level and can't find any info from a few searches to prove I'm wrong. If I'm right this was his last game -

8. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
  9. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It would help a lot if Mason Mount "clicked". tomorrow.

10. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Will Dozzell be fit again?

11. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    It hasn't been brought up in any of the build up news from what I can see.

hussar repped this.
  12. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    From the Guardian, this is as close to an official list of players that got pulled out as we'll get:

"It had been possible to fear for Downing’s squad before the tournament, as he was deprived of six key players – Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Chris Willock (Benfica), Tom Davies (Everton), Reece Oxford (West Ham United, on loan at Borussia Mönchengladbach), Sam Field (West Bromwich Albion) and Andre Green (Aston Villa)."
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/jul/14/england-football-under-19s-euro-final

I did wonder about Green and whether Buckly-Ricketts beat him out for a place or not. It also backs up the conjuncture on here around Willock, Oxford and Field.

Crvena Zvezda repped this.
  13. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Dozzell fit and starts, Nmecha also starts, as does Buckley-Ricketts.

14. itsonlymemate

itsonlymemate Member

Apr 1, 2013
    What exactly has Buckley ricketts done other than be an extremely safe option on the right?

15. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    That's very harsh. He's been pretty useful this tournament, committed defenders and carried the ball consistently.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  16. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Mount really should have done better with that chance on 25 minutes. Should have gone for the far post rather than straight at the defender.

17. itsonlymemate

itsonlymemate Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Any goals, assists? Many chances created?

18. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    He'd have had an assist had Nmecha not missed the most open of goals.

Nice moment for Suliman, he's grown on me this tournament.

19. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  20. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nmecha ends up bagging the match winning goals in the semifinals & the final.

21. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Another trophy :) All of the outfield players contributed well too. I think it showed a bit in the finals with regards our CB's not being comfortable bring the ball out from the back but Nmecha was alot more lively and linked OK enough with others. We should have seen more from Edwards during the tournament and the system in the semis was poor but I can't really think of much else to critique since the tournament has started.

22. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yes, another tittle and it didn't seem at all precarious until the final minutes.

23. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    #5323 Juni, Jul 15, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2017
    Done this for a couple of age groups so will do it here too. A basic player pool for next year; players will come and go, it looks particularly deep because I've included some of the more likely 2000s as well as the 99s from this year who can return next year.
    [​IMG]

Having Hirst, Nketiah, Taylor-Crossdale and Morris as 99-born scoring options is an excellent start before factoring in anything else.

24. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
  25. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    I think you forgot Joe Willock. A couple of days after his impressive performance vs Sydney FC, he stood out again in today's friendly against Western Sydney Wanderers. According to Jeorge Bird, ''Willock was perhaps the standout performer of the youth players as he again won the ball well and drove into the opposing penalty area with regularity.''
    Arsenal fans on twitter are also pretty happy with his performances

IMO, Joe Willock has the potential to be as good as the likes of Onomah, Dozzell and Foden.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.