England U-19 Discussion Thread #3 (2005 born) [R]

Discussion in 'England' started by revelationx, Feb 22, 2011.

1. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    What's going on with France? After missing out on the under-21 Euros, they've now finished bottom of their under-19s Elite group with 1 point. I know they're missing Mbappé, but still...

2. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They've seem to lack team togetherness, which is my generic guess.

3. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Italy are also out, and obviously Spain too. We might have a chance here...

4. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    It's possible. Hard to imagine that it's a sudden lack of talent when they have so many good young players in and around their senior side.

5. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I only say that because based on what I've seen from past French youth sides is that they lack discipline. Surely they have plenty of talent without Mbappe. They should just use Monaco's youth team lol.

6. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    So far the qualified teams are us, Czech Republic and Bulgaria. Georgia are the hosts of the tournament btw.

7. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    Netherlands and Germany both top their groups and look very likely to make it. Group 4 is a four way shoot out between Portugal, Turkey, Poland and Croatia.

8. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Honestly the with the way we're playing I don't care who we play. It's better if the competition is stiff, but I wouldn't mind an easy group too.

9. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Somewhere in English Arrogance land
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    W.A.S.P. and Jenks repped this.
  10. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008

Garibaldi11 repped this.
  11. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
  12. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Koeman can ******** off.

13. Juni

Juni Member+

Nov 26, 2010
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
  14. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    If TAA isn't going with the under-19s then he should quite simply be going with the under-21s. We don't have a better right-back

15. wellno

wellno Member+

Jul 31, 2016
    I wonder what will happen with Sessegnon. Fulham could validly make the same complaint that he's needed for their first team pre season, he may well not be released at all for any age group if Fulham make the play offs.

Horrible news for our chances in the U19 Euros. Koeman seems to confirm that Lookman and Calvert-Lewin will be available for the U20s with his quotes in that article, which is a small something.

I'm not sure if it's true, but I read somewhere that longlist squads for the U20 World Cup have already been submitted. So no Davies or Trent AA there if the clubs have just dropped this news on the FA now. I wonder if Toulon and the U21s are still on the table for them...

16. zXen

zXen Member

Oct 16, 2008
    England
    The TAA omission would be farcical. He isn't starting games Liverpool, is he? Just the odd game off the bench. He would benefit a lot by going to this tournament.

We wouldn't have qualified without these players, just look at TAA's U19 stats. The FA should have a harder stance on this as some of the other FA's do.

Marcho Gamgee repped this.
  17. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    #4892 Marcho Gamgee, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
    So as predicted the usual withdrawal of our best players starts already!! Sometimes I wonder what's the point! The FA bang on about how important it is to take players to these tournaments for vital experience but many of our better prospects miss out anyway due to needing a rest etc. This is just annoying as hell and the FA should have a harder stance on this and grow some balls. I'm gonna be furious if Roberts doesn't go to the U20 World Cup!I

It feels like a double whammy to be honest, we all want to see more kids given a chance with Davies and TAA ( to a lesser degree than Davies but still gets minutes ), which is great but the more young players that get involved with these squads the bigger chance there is that the Clubs will object to them going to International Tournaments.

18. BarryfromEastenders

Staff Member

Jul 6, 2008
    This is the time of the season when it all starts to fall apart at the seams o_O
    It's like when Bilic started pulling Oxford out of squads saying he should only be playing for England U21's from now on. Then he's barely played a game since :eek:

I also don't get why this always seems to come as a surprise to the FA. Before the last round of elite qualifiers they should have been engaging with clubs to ascertain where they stood on individual players. It was only going to be a handful of options so hardly a challenging task. That way we can at least tweak squads to suit the circumstances if it is possible.

19. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't see Roberts not being omitted because the U20 WC because it starts in May and ends in early June. Celtic or Man City will have to come up with a huge excuse to not let him play. I agree that the FA needs to have a harder stance on these clubs and it's so frustrating. Luckily the U19 Euros won't be qualifyers this year for the U20 WC, but it's a shame that Davies or TAA probably won't be in any plans for the U20s or U21s because of the timing of all this.

20. hussar

hussar Member+

Jun 24, 2015
    Will Davies play for the U21's then?

21. JRSG

JRSG Member+

Mar 25, 2015
    Club:
    Torquay United
    Celtic's excuse of 'our season is still going on' isn't a big one.

22. Marcho Gamgee

Marcho Gamgee Member+

England
    Apr 25, 2015
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    I can just see Celtic trying to be silly buggers if Celtic reach the Cup Final and insisting Roberts stays for that one game when they could replace him with an U15 Youth player and it wouldn't make much difference to there victory. Scottish Cup final is on 27th May and our first game against Argentina is on the 20th. Let's hope Rangers beat them so they can't claim to keep him for dead rubbers. FA need to be on Celtics case now insisting he goes as he missed out on last seasons U19's finals.

23. ChristianSur

ChristianSur Member+

May 5, 2015
    Club:
    Sheffield Wednesday FC
    Strongest position in our u21s, even with Winks missing. It probably depends on how many midfielders we take, but I doubt that Boothroyd will want to drop anyone who's established for Davies.

hussar repped this.
  24. W.A.S.P.

W.A.S.P. Member+

Leeds United
    England
    Sep 20, 2012
    St. Louis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I agree we're pretty stacked on midfielders in that group. I think Davies has a much better chance in the U20's.

25. The Guardian

The Guardian Member+

Jul 31, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Should Davies be given an immediate "promotion" to an older group for not being available for the u19 finals?